Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st September 2015, 11:06   #1591
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinride View Post
Ullikal-Payyavoor-Chemperi-Alakode stretch is not good with ridden and pothole roads. Thinking of returning from cherupuzha via pannathur - kukke - NH 48. Any info about Pannathur - kukke stretch?. Thanks.
Oh yeah, payyavoor road was really bad. I had taken it when I was blindly following Google maps a year ago.

Can't comment on the NH48 route but if you intend to go via Mysore how about trying Naduvil - Sreekandapuram - Irikkur - Iritty? I can vouch for the Sreekandapuram to Iritty stretch which is very good, as many others who have travelled to Payyanur and beyond probably would agree.
shefiu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 11:20   #1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Can't comment on the NH48 route but if you intend to go via Mysore how about trying Naduvil - Sreekandapuram - Irikkur - Iritty? I can vouch for the Sreekandapuram to Iritty stretch which is very good, as many others who have travelled to Payyanur and beyond probably would agree.
Took Alakode - Taliparamba - Sreekandapuram - Irikkur - Iritty yesterday. Roads were smooth throughout ( though distance is more by 15 kms). So yeah, this is the best choice available currently. Thanks.
lostinride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:47   #1593
BHPian

Just did a bangalore - Kannur/vadakara trip this weekend.
The onward journey was to vadakara, and the return via Kannur.

The route to vadakara was ecity->NICE road->maddur->mandya->srirangapatna->mysore ring road->nagarhole sanctuary->manathavadi->vadakara.

i was planning to take the hunsur->gonikoppa->iritty route, but i somehow missed the exit on the mysore ring road and ended up on the nagarhole route. Roads were good until reaching manathavadi, post that it is a total disaster to vadakara and my advise is to stay miles off this route. it will wreck your car.

On the return, i drove up to Kannur and then took the SH30 via iritty towards karnataka. The route was vadakara->kannur->iritty->virajpete->gonikoppa->hunsur->mysore->srirangapatna->mandya->maddur->bidadi->NICE road->ecity. Roads are so-so on the kerala side. not so smooth, but once we cross over into karnataka, it becomes just great with fantastic scenery while driving through virajpete. This is truly a hidden gem.
Unfortunately there was heavy downpour all the way to bangalore and that kind of slowed me down. But, this is the preferred route for sure, going forward.
sidharth_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 09:07   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
i was planning to take the hunsur->gonikoppa->iritty route, but i somehow missed the exit on the mysore ring road and ended up on the nagarhole route.
The exit (right turn) is at the second signal after you take right at Columbia Asia hospital junction. You should have just followed the signboards for Madikeri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
On the return, i drove up to Kannur and then took the SH30 via iritty towards karnataka. The route was vadakara->kannur->iritty->virajpete->gonikoppa->hunsur->mysore->srirangapatna->mandya->maddur->bidadi->NICE road->ecity. Roads are so-so on the kerala side
You need not go upto Kannur unless you have some work in Kannur. Just deviate to Kuthuparamba from Telicherry town and proceed towards Mattannur/Iritty from Kuthuparamba. This will save you almost 20 kms. Only issue is that there is a bad stretch of a few kms on the Telicherry-Kuthuparamba road due to the now 'orphaned' KSTP road project. The contractor who started the work on the stretch has now abandoned the project and fresh tendering is being done now.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 18:39   #1595
BHPian

On my recent trip tired a new route - Prassinikadvu - Mayyil - Irikkur - Iritty. Skipping the Taliparamba - srikandapuram route saved over 15 kms and good roads all along (except for a small stretch).
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 19:29   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
On my recent trip tired a new route - Prassinikadvu - Mayyil - Irikkur - Iritty. Skipping the Taliparamba - srikandapuram route saved over 15 kms and good roads all along (except for a small stretch).
May I know where you started your journey? Its an interesting route, though it doesn't seem to save any distance from Payangadi. I'll definitely try this the next time around as the roads seem a little straighter (except around parassinikadavu). How are the roads around there btw?

Thanks!

NB - aaaand I finally hit 100 posts after 2.5 years

Last edited by shefiu : 8th September 2015 at 19:32.
shefiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 22:39   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
May I know where you started your journey? Its an interesting route, though it doesn't seem to save any distance from Payangadi. I'll definitely try this the next time around as the roads seem a little straighter (except around parassinikadavu). How are the roads around there btw?

Thanks!

NB - aaaand I finally hit 100 posts after 2.5 years
This route should suit anyone from between kannur, taliparamba and payangadi of course. I started from Kannapuram to parassinikadvu and beyond. Roads are good and not curvy, unlike the taliparamba - sreekandapuram roads. Navigation is good to have since its a bit confusing at times, else you can always ask for directions.
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 10:19   #1598
BHPian

Planning to drive to Kannur during third week of October. From the latest posts, the smoothest route seems to be Bangalore > Mysore > Hunsur > Iritty > Kannur. Is that correct?

My wife would be in the 7th month of pregnancy during this time, so want to ensure the roads are smooth and safe.

Also, how would the weather be in Kannur during this time. Would it be pleasant without too much sun and rains?
Bh.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 10:32   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Planning to drive to Kannur during third week of October. From the latest posts, the smoothest route seems to be Bangalore > Mysore > Hunsur > Iritty > Kannur. Is that correct?
That would be the best possible route at present.

Quote:
My wife would be in the 7th month of pregnancy during this time, so want to ensure the roads are smooth and safe.
I may be speaking out of turn, but since she will be in her final trimester might I suggest going by train? If you get the Yeshwantpur Express you would get on at 8 PM and reach Kannur by 9:15 A.M.

Also, I don't want to be negative, however the problem with these roads is that we could be the best defensive drivers but that does not negate the hooligans on them, especially on the Bangalore - Mysore stretch.

I had taken my wife by road when our little one was a little over a year and the ghat sections got her queasy, so I can only imagine how it would be for a lady in the final stages of pregnancy.

Please don't take offence, just voicing out my opinion
shefiu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 10:43   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post

Also, how would the weather be in Kannur during this time. Would it be pleasant without too much sun and rains?
Yes, that is the best route : Mysore>Hunsur>Gonikoppal>Virajpet (Bypass)>Makutta Ghats>Kootupuzha>Iritty>Mattannur>Kannur. The roads from Mattannur to Kannur have taken a beating due to the monsoons and there are plenty of potholes especially from Koodali to Chovva.

Are you going to be there on a holiday? If Not, as shefiu mentioned, take her by train. Safer any day.

Weather would be humid, not too hot but you can expect intermittent evening thunder showers in October (North east monsoon or Thulavarsham, as the season is called).
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 11:10   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
I may be speaking out of turn, but since she will be in her final trimester might I suggest going by train? If you get the Yeshwantpur Express you would get on at 8 PM and reach Kannur by 9:15 A.M.
Thanks! Yes. I was discouraging her from a trip during this stage. But she insisted, and you know a pregnant lady's craving has to be fulfilled. I used this thread to convince her and we are now considering a train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Are you going to be there on a holiday?
Yes. We are planning on a holiday there. I heard the beach there is pretty good. Hope that is true.
Bh.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 16:03   #1602
BHPian

A quick route update on Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikkoppa-Iritty:
Srirangapatana - KRS - Yelavala road work is going on. Try to avoid and take Mysore Ring road unless it is heavy rush hour.
The road in the Ghat section is good, but watch out for sharp road edges. Avoid leaving the tarmac surface even it means a dead stop to let a truck or bus pass. Also, very foggy at evening & night.
Road beyond Iritty has plenty of potholes - pretty huge ones, watch out.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 09:32   #1603

Iritty-sreekandapuram-taliparamba road was good though curvy, when I did the trip some weeks back. It may be a little longer route but roads are relatively fine that time.
lostinride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 10:33   #1604
BHPian

If your final destination is somewhere in the northern part of Kannur, eg Puthiyatheru/Azhikode/ Pappinisheri/ Payangadi, there is a nice alternative now, bypassing the towns of Iritty, Mattannur and Kannur.

Kootupuzha- Iritty bridge (no need to cross the bridge)- Irikkur- Pavannurkadavu- Pavannurmotta - Ettayar- Mayyil - Kambil - Puthiyatheru/chungam.

Gmaps link: https://goo.gl/Ro7VQk

Distance is almost the same, and you get very good roads til Irikkur and excellent roads again from Ettayar to Puthiyatheru. The Etteyar-Mayyil-Puthiyatheru road was recently widened and resurfaced and is a pleasure to drive on. Traffic is also on the lighter side compared to Iritty-Mattanur- Kannur road. You get to avoid Kannur town traffic completely.

I have not tried this route end to end yet, but have done Pavannurmotta-Puthiyatheru many times and can vouch for that section.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 10:56   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If your final destination is somewhere in the northern part of Kannur, eg Puthiyatheru/Azhikode/ Pappinisheri/ Payangadi, there is a nice alternative now, bypassing the towns of Iritty, Mattannur and Kannur.

Kootupuzha- Iritty bridge (no need to cross the bridge)- Irikkur- Pavannurkadavu- Pavannurmotta - Ettayar- Mayyil - Kambil - Puthiyatheru/chungam.

Gmaps link: https://goo.gl/Ro7VQk

Distance is almost the same, and you get very good roads til Irikkur and excellent roads again from Ettayar to Puthiyatheru. The Etteyar-Mayyil-Puthiyatheru road was recently widened and resurfaced and is a pleasure to drive on. Traffic is also on the lighter side compared to Iritty-Mattanur- Kannur road. You get to avoid Kannur town traffic completely.

I have not tried this route end to end yet, but have done Pavannurmotta-Puthiyatheru many times and can vouch for that section.
Your link gives the following message :

https://goo.gl/Ro7VQk this goo.gl shortlink has been disabled. It was found to be violating our Terms of Service.

Wonder why ?
kala is offline   Reply With Quote