Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:22   #286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
The work was stopped for some time, but has started on a slow pace.

The latest update is that the road is still not open to public.

I dont think the road will be open by Dec 09.

Will give more updates on the same in the 1st/2nd week on November.
Nitin, looking forward for your updates. I hope by Dec-Jan they will open atleast partially to avoid court interference.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 11:19   #287
BHPian
 
Morgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: Once
Default

Just got back from my Bangalore-Kannur-Guruvayoor trip.

Route taken - Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Mananthavadi - Kannur

Bangalore - Mysore - Excellent roads.
Mysore - Gundlupet - Uptil Nanjangud, the roads are just okay. But after that the roads are just great.
Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Amazing drive thru Bandipur. Good roads.
Sultan Bathery - Mananthvady - Ghat roads are bad, but considering its a choice between the route thru Coorg and this, I'd say its manageable.
Mananthavady - Kannur - Kerala roads....bleh...bad as usual. Of course, road sense of the drivers there is of a completely different dimension all-together.


~Morgul
Morgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 11:53   #288
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 934
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Nice update Morgul. Plan to go down to Kannur December beginning. Have not been on this route especially between Sultan Battery and Mananthwady. What is the total distance to Kannur from Bangalore on this route ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 12:32   #289
BHPian
 
nithinnarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore Kannur Manipal
Posts: 237
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Nice update Morgul. Plan to go down to Kannur December beginning. Have not been on this route especially between Sultan Battery and Mananthwady. What is the total distance to Kannur from Bangalore on this route ?
Total Distance 410~420 Kms
nithinnarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 08:55   #290
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Heard that the Taliparamba - Koottupuzha state highway is being upgraded as National Highway, and some land acqiusiton is going on. Is this right?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 12:35   #291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Heard that the Taliparamba - Koottupuzha state highway is being upgraded as National Highway, and some land acqiusiton is going on. Is this right?
Its a State highway, no an NH, and no info on upgrading to NH. There may be land aquisition to straighten this road at many places. The road is too curly in many places. The Japan Drinking Water project spoiled the road in many places leaving big trench in the sides.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 21:10   #292
BHPian
 
nithinnarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore Kannur Manipal
Posts: 237
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Heard that the Taliparamba - Koottupuzha state highway is being upgraded as National Highway, and some land acqiusiton is going on. Is this right?
Taliparamba - Koottupuzha is the state highway.

The news you heard is right but it is not Taliparamba - Koottupuzha but Thalassery- Koottupuzha which is being upgraded.

Also the Kannur-Mattanur road is being upgraded to 6 lane and land acquisitions for the same has been started.
nithinnarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 21:25   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
The news you heard is right but it is not Taliparamba - Koottupuzha but Thalassery- Koottupuzha which is being upgraded..
That is th e road passing through Iritty, right?

./quote]Also the Kannur-Mattanur road is being upgraded to 6 lane and land acquisitions for the same has been started.[/quote]

Looks like the airport effect? I recall seeing something on the natpac site that the Kannur - Kannur airport road will be BOOT (build, own, operate and transfer) one.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 00:04   #294
BHPian
 
nithinnarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore Kannur Manipal
Posts: 237
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That is th e road passing through Iritty, right?
Yes it is :
Thalassery-Koothuparamba-Mattanur-Iritty-Kootupuzha

Quote:
Looks like the airport effect? I recall seeing something on the natpac site that the Kannur - Kannur airport road will be BOOT (build, own, operate and transfer) one.
Yes you are right, this is because of the airport near Mattanur.
nithinnarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 08:01   #295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Yes it is :
Thalassery-Koothuparamba-Mattanur-Iritty-Kootupuzha

Yes you are right, this is because of the airport near Mattanur.
Little OT : So Nitin going to be a big realestate player..!!!
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 09:13   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 338
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Little OT : So Nitin going to be a big realestate player..!!!
He already has real-estate connections
sanjaykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:42   #297
Newbie
 
inhellwemeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul View Post
Just got back from my Bangalore-Kannur-Guruvayoor trip.

Route taken - Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Mananthavadi - Kannur

Bangalore - Mysore - Excellent roads.
Mysore - Gundlupet - Uptil Nanjangud, the roads are just okay. But after that the roads are just great.
Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Amazing drive thru Bandipur. Good roads.
Sultan Bathery - Mananthvady - Ghat roads are bad, but considering its a choice between the route thru Coorg and this, I'd say its manageable.
Mananthavady - Kannur - Kerala roads....bleh...bad as usual. Of course, road sense of the drivers there is of a completely different dimension all-together.


~Morgul
Hi Morul,

I am planning to travel to Kannur from Bangalore end of this month. I am quite familiar with the route up till Mananthavady. Which is best route to take from Mananthavady to Kannur?

Regards,
IHWM
inhellwemeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:09   #298
BHPian
 
Morgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: Once
Default

I dont know if there are multiple routes from here on. I remember I did not touch Thalassery. I think at Koothuparamba the roads deviates - one towards Thalassery and the other towards Kannur. Taking the road towards Kannur saves about 25-30 kms <as opposed to going to Thalassery and then to Kannur> if I'm not wrong.

~Morgul
Morgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:41   #299
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

How about Mananthavady > Boys town > Kottiyuur > Iritty > Mattannur (take right) > Kannur??
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:27   #300
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How about Mananthavady > Boys town > Kottiyuur > Iritty > Mattannur (take right) > Kannur??
I hope this should be shorter, but the Kottiyur - Peravur road was almost collapsed during the last monsoon, no idea whether this is repaired. Also, if you are a beginer in driving, better to avoid the downhill to Boys Town.

Otherwise, Manathanwady - Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur will be good option. The stretch between Nedumpoyil and Koothupamba is not so good.


Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune-Bangalore-Mysore-Kannur-Bangalore ambivalent_98 Travelogues 4 17th November 2010 11:39
12 hours to do B'lore-Kannur-B'lore - Best Route? Steeroid Route / Travel Queries 38 7th January 2009 21:43
Bangalore Munnar-kannur-bangalore -1500kms Round Trip ad75 Travelogues 25 23rd April 2008 13:25
Travelogue - Bangalore - Mysore - Nagarhole - Kannur - Bangalore anainar Travelogues 10 16th January 2008 18:56
Bangalore Kannur route?? amitoj Shifting gears 23 27th May 2005 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks