Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th December 2010, 17:22   #616
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Thanks Rajesh, I am driving tomorrow morning to Kannur and decided to take Gonikuppa route.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 17:25   #617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Yes for Kuruva / Mananthavadi that would be the best choice (in spite of the diversion-yes, because the rest of the road is just fab)

I think Hunsur-Nagarahole would be the ideal choice if you were travelling to Kutta.

Edit : Additional clarification - The SH33 route doesn't touch Kutta - it goes through Bavali and reaches Kattikkulam. You will have to take a right turn at Kattikkulam and travel another 15-20 kms to reach Kutta, that's why I suggested the Hunsur-Nagarahole route for Kutta.
Thanks. I meant for places like North Waynad (E.g Kuruva Island).
Thats answers all questions.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 15:02   #618
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Kannur solo drive yesterday. As suggested by Rajesh took usual Gonikoppa route. Planned to start @ 5AM from BTM but slept happily till 7.30!! Finally started from my house in BTM @8.30

Route: BTM-NICE-MYSORE ROAD-SRIRANGAPATTANA-HUNSUR-GONIKOPPA-PERMBADI-IRITTY-MATTANUR-KANNUR: Reached home @ 4PM (1 hour break - 30 min for BF and two 15 min tea breaks).

Road Condition:
Srirangapattana-Yelwala : Below average, but could see some repair work done at some places. They dug the road at couple of locations and there are no warning signs. Be very careful especially if you are driving in the night.

Hunsur-Gonikoppa: Bad and many places I had to stop and see a way to cross those potholes!! and I was driving my little Spark. But once you reach Coorg border condition of the roads are better till Gonikoppa. Repair work are done but still you will see occasional potholes.

Perumbadi-Kuttupuzha : New road damaged at many places. Repair work is under progress.

Kuttupuzha-Mattanur: average, but repair work is under progress. Iritty-Mattanur streach is improved a lot comparing to my last trip.

Mattanur-Kannur: Breeze!!

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th December 2010 at 15:03.
Old 28th December 2010, 17:16   #619
Team-BHP Support

Latheesh,

I think now there is no need to divert at Srirangapatna. One can drive all the way to Mysore, take the ORR and get on to Hunsur road. You dont save much via Ranganthittu.
Old 28th December 2010, 21:06   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Latheesh,

I think now there is no need to divert at Srirangapatna. One can drive all the way to Mysore, take the ORR and get on to Hunsur road. You dont save much via Ranganthittu.
Exactly, what i did last time. Taking the ORR at mysore is so much faster with much better road, the extra 6 kms is a breeze to drive.
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 22:56   #621
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ampere and vista_qjd, I'll take ring road when I drive back to Bangalore next week.

But I have never driven via ring road. Please give directions, Is it the turn @Columbia Asia hospital on Blr-Mysore road towards Infy campus? :-)

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th December 2010 at 22:59.
Old 29th December 2010, 08:04   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks ampere and vista_qjd, I'll take ring road when I drive back to Bangalore next week.

But I have never driven via ring road. Please give directions, Is it the turn @Columbia Asia hospital on Blr-Mysore road towards Infy campus? :-)
Yes that is the turn (The ORR-SH17 cross road at the Columbia Asia signal).

When coming back from Hunsur, keep driving on Hunsur road and as you approach Mysore, you will hit the ORR, which should say Bangalore to left. Drive till the Columbia Asia Signal where you hit the Mysore-Blr road (SH17). Take left and you are on.

Hunsur, Karnataka to Srirangapattana, Karnataka - Google Maps

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2010 at 08:06.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:56   #623
BHPian

Quote:

Latheesh, there are enough signboards to show you the directions. While coming from Hunsur, take left in the second signal (First signal usually blinking in the night..!!). There is a sign board also. After this left follow the ORR and take again left in the 'second signal'. There also u can see direction board.

Total distance from the Elwala to the bypass exit at Srirangapatna is 23kms via Mysore ORR.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 06:19   #624
BHPian

I took Periyapattna route to Thalassery on 24th. Upto Periyapattana, the road is perfect. Afterwards, its narrow with lots of humps and pot holes. it took me 6 hours to cover 320km to Thalassery. Since this is the first time for me in this route, I had nice time seeing the scenery. On Yelwala bye pass, I see patch work is going on. Overall, it was good drive.
Regards,
Sarin
sarinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 17:12   #625
BHPian

I took the Hyderabad -> Bangalore -> Mysore Ring Road ->Hunsur -> Periyapatna -> Siddhapur -> Virajpet -> Iritti -> Mattanur -> Kannur route and returned via the same during the last week of December 2010 and found it mush mush better a route then the Gonnikopal Route.

This was on my Verna and even on the way back when I asked some cab drivers they asked me to not venture into Gonnikoppal unless I do it in an Amby or a Jeep.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:32   #626
BHPian

Default Need a best route to Koothuparamaba

I need to get to Koothuparamba during next week-end. I've been going through this thread.

Few questions:
1. From Bangalore, to get to Koothuparamaba, which is the best option?
- Bathery-Mananthavady-Perya-Koothuparamba OR
- Hunsur-Virajpet-Makkutta-Iritty-Koothuparamba
Question is with respect to distance and condition of road.

2. If Hunsur-Viarjpet via is the better option, I gather from various postings that, Periyapatna route (instead if Gonikoppal one) is better with respect to road conditions. Is that correct? If so, can somebody provide me major turns/junctions on this route from Yelawal, and anything specific to watch out for? I've never driven on this route earlier. So, any amount of info would be greatly helpful.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 23:00   #627
Senior - BHPian

I drove back to Bangalore on wednesday and took Periyapatna-Siddapur route. It is much better than Gonikoppa route. When going from Bangalore instead of taking left turn towards Gonikoppa continue on SH till Periyapatna (may be around 12-14 KM from Cafe Coorg not sure) and take left turn towards Siddapur and take left turn at Siddapur towards Virajpet.
Old 10th January 2011, 06:35   #628
BHPian

Default Re: Need a best route to Koothuparamaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
I need to get to Koothuparamba during next week-end. I've been going through this thread.

Few questions:
1. From Bangalore, to get to Koothuparamaba, which is the best option?
- Bathery-Mananthavady-Perya-Koothuparamba OR
- Hunsur-Virajpet-Makkutta-Iritty-Koothuparamba
Question is with respect to distance and condition of road.

2. If Hunsur-Viarjpet via is the better option, I gather from various postings that, Periyapatna route (instead if Gonikoppal one) is better with respect to road conditions. Is that correct? If so, can somebody provide me major turns/junctions on this route from Yelawal, and anything specific to watch out for? I've never driven on this route earlier. So, any amount of info would be greatly helpful.

Regards
Rex
Hunsur - virajpet route is the best option for Koothuparamba. I traveled via periyapatna to Thalassery and roads are ok type. I was told that Gonikoppa route is in worst condition. Just follow the Hunsur road and continue the journey after Cafe coorg till you reach Periyapatna. From Periyapatna, take a left turn towards Ammathi. From this point onwards, the road is not that good and also its very narrow.
Regards,
Sarin
sarinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 11:45   #629
BHPian

i did chennai - kannur via bangalore last week during pongal holidays.

i tried the mysore ORR. this is much better and quicker in comparison to srirangapatna -yelawala route, may be 6-8kms extra.but its worth it.

also tried the siddapur virajpet route.its any day better than the gonikoppa route.

periyapatna -siddapur - narrow, potholes and lot of speedbrakers on the route till the jungle starts. siddapur -ammathi - virajpet better roads.

the route takes you through virajpet town which im sure will be messy during the day, i was lucky to have covered it at night during my onward journey and early morning during the return journey.

koothupuzha - iritty - mattanur - uneven surface, all patched up, rare potholes,might have heavy traffic during the day.

mattanur - kannur - bliss, might have heavy traffic during the day.

time -

chennai - blr - 5.5hrs
blr - mysore - 2.5hrs
mysore - kannur -4hrs

includes 1.5hrs of breaks - bio,refuelling and food.

distance - 685kms

Last edited by ad75 : 18th January 2011 at 11:47. Reason: addl info
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 12:09   #630
BHPian

Default Re: Need a best route to Koothuparamaba

Thanks Latheesh and Sarin, for the info.

My trip did not happen due to few other priority items that came up. Now, I'll be able to make this trip only in Feb. Thanks, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Hunsur - virajpet route is the best option for Koothuparamba. Just follow the Hunsur road and continue the journey after Cafe coorg till you reach Periyapatna. From Periyapatna, take a left turn towards Ammathi. From this point onwards, the road is not that good and also its very narrow.
Regards,
Sarin
Quote:
When going from Bangalore instead of taking left turn towards Gonikoppa continue on SH till Periyapatna (may be around 12-14 KM from Cafe Coorg not sure) and take left turn towards Siddapur and take left turn at Siddapur towards Virajpet.
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote