Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 14:14   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Have a safe trip. But the trip was so enjoyable that I would not mind doing it again.
Kerala always is, isnt it Im hoping to drive my mum to kozhikode next week.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 19:27   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I recently came via Thottilpalam - Moonnam Mile(not sure if this is the correct name of the place) - Panamaram - S. Bathery stretch. The thottilpalam ghats have superb surface, but after that there are lot of broken patches until you hit Bathery. You can go to Thottilpalam from Kannur via Thalassery. Be prepared to brave very very narrow roads and maniac buses. Best done in the night.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 20:19   #63
BHPian
 
ad75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

a fortnight back I tried the following route :

kannur -tellicherry- mahe-vadakara-quilandi-tamarassery -adivaram- kalpetta - battery -gundulpet- mysore - bangalore.

the roads are too good on this route except kerala border to gundulpet (lot of potholes) & nanjangud to mysore. Did this in 10hrs.430kms.

the difference between mananthavadi route & this one is not more than30-40kms extra.the journey is comfortable even though you travel few kms extra.

Last edited by ad75 : 23rd January 2008 at 20:23.
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 15:42   #64
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Chennai - Kannur Trip

Hi all - I'm planning a trip from Chennai to Kannur with my swift.

I will be starting early in the day from chennai (in this route - Vellore - Hosur - Bangalore - Mysore - Coorg - Kannur).

I'm aware the roads upto Mysore about 450 kms is good. While I'm not sure of the balance 250 Kms from Mysore to Kannur.

Please if any one had taken this route recently, please confirm how long will this stretch take to cover, as i will be reaching Mysore by around 1:00 Pm if i start at around 6:00AM from chennai.

I'm planning to halt in mysore for a couple of hours before we proceed further.
onlymadhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 12:30   #65
BHPian
 
ad75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadhu View Post
Hi all - I'm planning a trip from Chennai to Kannur with my swift.

I will be starting early in the day from chennai (in this route - Vellore - Hosur - Bangalore - Mysore - Coorg - Kannur).

I'm aware the roads upto Mysore about 450 kms is good. While I'm not sure of the balance 250 Kms from Mysore to Kannur.

Please if any one had taken this route recently, please confirm how long will this stretch take to cover, as i will be reaching Mysore by around 1:00 Pm if i start at around 6:00AM from chennai.

I'm planning to halt in mysore for a couple of hours before we proceed further.
I wouldnt suggest the coorg route, the roads are pathetic.
you have two options

mysore-nanjangud-gundulpet-sultan battery-meenangadi-mananthavady-koothuparamba-kannur - 250-260kms approx.

or

mysore-nanjangud-gundulpet-sultan battery-meenangadi-kalpetta-thamarasserry-koyilandi-vadakara-thalassery-kannur - 300kms approx


reaching mysore by 1pm is difficult unless you are really fast. assuming 5.5-6hrs chennai -blr & 2.5-3hrs blr mysore. & 1hr from elect.city to mysore road.

Last edited by ad75 : 10th March 2008 at 12:34.
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 15:36   #66
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Originally Posted by onlymadhu View Post

after srirangapatna - ranganthittu bird sanctuary - hunsur bus stand - nagarhole wildlife sanctuary - kutta - tholpetty wildlfe sanctuary - mananthavadi - thotilpalam - kootuparamba - kannur.
Ranji_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 18:27   #67
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Benglur
Posts: 320
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Quote:
after srirangapatna - ranganthittu bird sanctuary - hunsur bus stand - nagarhole wildlife sanctuary - kutta - tholpetty wildlfe sanctuary - mananthavadi - thotilpalam - kootuparamba - kannur.
I travelled on this route from Mysore to Nagarhole wildlife sanctuary last weekend. The road is good upto Nagarhole, heard the road has been fixed upto Kutta.
Not sure beyond it. You can see plenty of wildlife on this road. I guess this road is open between 7 AM to 6 PM (somebody confirm).

I am planning a trip to Mahe on this road sometime next month.
Could anyone update me on the status of the road from kutta - tholpetty wildlfe sanctuary - mananthavadi - Chockli - Mahe.

Information on some good beaches/tourist places in Mahe would be highly appreciated.
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 18:39   #68
BHPian
 
The Matrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 112
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
I guess this road is open between 7 AM to 6 PM (somebody confirm).

I am planning a trip to Mahe on this road sometime next month.
Could anyone update me on the status of the road from kutta - tholpetty wildlfe sanctuary - mananthavadi - Chockli - Mahe.

Information on some good beaches/tourist places in Mahe would be highly appreciated.
The roads are much better now as they've been fixed , and yes you'll not be allowed to drive through the national park after 5:30 PM.

I don't think there's much to see in Mahe IMO, Yes the fuel (for the car and the humans ) is very cheap.
The Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 19:00   #69
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Benglur
Posts: 320
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Quote:
I don't think there's much to see in Mahe IMO, Yes the fuel (for the car and the humans ) is very cheap.
Well, i am not looking for human fuel as this is a family trip. My dad loves beaches and it's a long time since the last beach bath. So was planning to spot some wildlife on this route and unwind on the beaches of Mahe (or any beaches nearby.... ).

How about Kannur/Kasaragod (Bekal beach)?
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 21:42   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

From Mahe, go towards Kannur, you will find Muzhappilangad drive-in beach about 7 kms after Thalassery.

Then you have Payyambalam beach right in Kannur, Meenkunnu beach further up and 60 kms from kannur, you find Bekal fort/beach.

If you prefer to go south, you can go to Kozhikode/Kappad beaches too.

Take your pick.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 21:11   #71
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
The roads are much better now as they've been fixed , and yes you'll not be allowed to drive through the national park after 5:30 PM.

I don't think there's much to see in Mahe IMO, Yes the fuel (for the car and the humans ) is very cheap.
Hi - How far is kootaparamba from mysore, and what is the stretch of nagarhole wildlife santuary, ie how many kms do we drive within the park, Assuming we start from mysore by 3:00 Pm can we cross the santuary before it closes at 5:30 PM
onlymadhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 21:33   #72
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranji_80 View Post
after srirangapatna - ranganthittu bird sanctuary - hunsur bus stand - nagarhole wildlife sanctuary - kutta - tholpetty wildlfe sanctuary - mananthavadi - thotilpalam - kootuparamba - kannur.
any idea about the road condition on this route? what's distance from Bangalore?
rave70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 12:05   #73
BHPian
 
The Matrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 112
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
what is the stretch of nagarhole wildlife santuary, ie how many kms do we drive within the park, Assuming we start from mysore by 3:00 Pm can we cross the santuary before it closes at 5:30 PM
If you enter the park at 3:00 PM then you should be able to reach Manandavadi by 5:00..easily , and the time you enter the park is what matters (has to be before 5:30 PM). Exit is not a problem. the Places Kuttapan has suggested are far better than wasting time at Mahe IMO.
The Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 07:31   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 688
Thanked: 238 Times
Default

Can any body please update what the distance from hunsur to Nagahole / Mananthavadi? Just wanted to have a rough idea so that I can adjust the speed accordigly. I am planning to go to Kannur this week, starting from bangalore by 2pm in a santro
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 07:34   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 688
Thanked: 238 Times
Default

Can anybody pls update on the distance from hunsur to Nagarhole / Mananthawadi? Just wanted to have a rough idea so that I can adjust my speed accordigly. I am planning to go to Kannur this week, starting from bangalore by 2pm in a Santro
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune-Bangalore-Mysore-Kannur-Bangalore ambivalent_98 Travelogues 4 17th November 2010 11:39
12 hours to do B'lore-Kannur-B'lore - Best Route? Steeroid Route / Travel Queries 38 7th January 2009 21:43
Bangalore Munnar-kannur-bangalore -1500kms Round Trip ad75 Travelogues 25 23rd April 2008 13:25
Travelogue - Bangalore - Mysore - Nagarhole - Kannur - Bangalore anainar Travelogues 10 16th January 2008 18:56
Bangalore Kannur route?? amitoj Shifting gears 23 27th May 2005 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks