Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd April 2013, 20:04   #1066
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Hi,

I'd be visiting Kannur and plan to take the route suggested by sandsun7. I need help on the return.

On the way back, after leaving the resort, I plan to visit Parassinakadavu and Taliparamba temples. Google maps shows me the following route to join back
the Iritty-Virajpet road:
Talliparamba-Sreekandapuram-Payyavoor-Kunnoth

Is this road decent enough or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Prasad14
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:31   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,
I'd be visiting Kannur and plan to take the route suggested by sandsun7. I need help on the return.
On the way back, after leaving the resort, I plan to visit Parassinakadavu and Taliparamba temples. Google maps shows me the following route to join back
the Iritty-Virajpet road:
Talliparamba-Sreekandapuram-Payyavoor-Kunnoth
Is this road decent enough or is there a better alternative.
Thanks,
Prasad14
Taliparamba-Sreekandapuram-Irikkur-Iritty road is in good condition except that somewhere near Sreekandapuram town, there is a major work going on to increase the height of the road to avoid flooding during monsoons, where you would have to drive very slow. But this is only for a short distance, perhaps for around 200-300 metres. Link for this route: http://goo.gl/maps/Ey8XD

Where is your resort located? If you are planing to visit Parassinikadavu first and then Taliparamba, then this route would be the best option. If you plan to cover Taliparamba temple and then Parassinikadavu, then you could cross the parassini bridge and join Mayyil road from where you could come to irikkur and head on to Iritty. Link here:http://goo.gl/maps/48HWa

(Slightly OT: Do remember, entry for ladies is permitted only after the night pooja (athazha pooja) in Taliparamba Rajarajeshwara temple)

Last edited by sandsun7 : 3rd April 2013 at 20:33.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 21:50   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Taliparamba-Sreekandapuram-Irikkur-Iritty road is in good condition except that somewhere near Sreekandapuram town, there is a major work going on to increase the height of the road to avoid flooding during monsoons, where you would have to drive very slow. But this is only for a short distance, perhaps for around 200-300 metres. Link for this route: http://goo.gl/maps/Ey8XD

Where is your resort located? If you are planing to visit Parassinikadavu first and then Taliparamba, then this route would be the best option. If you plan to cover Taliparamba temple and then Parassinikadavu, then you could cross the parassini bridge and join Mayyil road from where you could come to irikkur and head on to Iritty. Link here:http://goo.gl/maps/48HWa

(Slightly OT: Do remember, entry for ladies is permitted only after the night pooja (athazha pooja) in Taliparamba Rajarajeshwara temple)
Thanks Sandsun7. Our resort (CheraRocks) is in Thottada, south of Kannur as per Google maps. So, I thought of going to Parassinakadavu and then to Taliparamba. Is this correct?

Also, should I touch Iritty town to proceed towards Virajpet (as per your map) or is there some other way I can join the Iritty-Virajpet road?

However, the info on Taliparamba is very useful, which means I'll have to change the plans.

Thanks again,

Prasad14
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 09:43   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Thanks Sandsun7. Our resort (CheraRocks) is in Thottada, south of Kannur as per Google maps. So, I thought of going to Parassinakadavu and then to Taliparamba. Is this correct?
Prasad14
This should be alright! Try to be at Parassinikadavu by around 3 in the afternoon so that you can watch Muthappan theyyam performance.

Quote:

Also, should I touch Iritty town to proceed towards Virajpet (as per your map) or is there some other way I can join the Iritty-Virajpet road?
You will not enter Iritty town at all when you are coming from Taliparamba and going towards Virajpet. Taliparamba-Iritty road will join Kannur-Iritty-Virajpet road just before the Iritty bridge.
This image will give you a clear idea.
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-iritty.jpg
Map courtesy: mapmyindia

Last edited by sandsun7 : 4th April 2013 at 09:44.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 17:26   #1070
BHPian

Need to do Bangalore-Iritty tomorrow afternoon.

After reading through the threads, I'm little confused with the right option with respect to quality of roads. Is the route via Gonikoppal better than the one via Ammathi?
Can one of you who frequent this route share the best option possible on google maps?

Is it safe to take this route in the night? Not much exposure to this part of the world, that's the reason for this question.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 17:32   #1071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Is it safe to take this route in the night? Not much exposure to this part of the world, that's the reason for this question.
As @Sandsun mentions best option is :

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Amatti-Virajpet-Iritty.

I wont advice night drive. Because a 10km section between Periyapatna and Siddapur is quite bad. Rest of the route is superb.
I myself was on this stretch last weekend and it was brilliant (apart from that 10km odd section)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 17:48   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As @Sandsun mentions best option is :

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Amatti-Virajpet-Iritty.

I wont advice night drive. Because a 10km section between Periyapatna and Siddapur is quite bad. Rest of the route is superb.
I myself was on this stretch last weekend and it was brilliant (apart from that 10km odd section)
Thanks much, ampere!

If we are able to cover the bad stretch in day light, rest of the route (forest, ghat section, etc) is safe to be driven in the night, I suppose.

Regards
Rex
Old 4th April 2013, 18:43   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much, ampere!

If we are able to cover the bad stretch in day light, rest of the route (forest, ghat section, etc) is safe to be driven in the night, I suppose.
If you are driving in the night, this route (mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-Virajpet-Perumpadi-Koottupuzha-Iritty) is the only option because the other route via Nagarhole is closed for traffic from 6 PM to 6AM.
Gmaps link: http://goo.gl/maps/30ich

What time are you planning to start? If you plan to leave at least by 2 in the afternoon, you would be able to comfortably clear the bad stretches in daylight/twilight. Else, I could suggest a slight deviation (recommended in a previous post by Nalin Kumar) Instead of turning towards Siddapura from Periyapatna, proceed till Kushalnagar on Mysore-Madikeri road and from there, turn on to Siddapura through Dubare road, Nellihudhikeri and proceed then on to Virajpet. This route I believe would be around 20km more, but would avoid the bad stretches.

I don't think there is any issue driving through Makutta ghats in the night. Fog could have been an issue, but not during summer.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 4th April 2013 at 18:49.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 19:45   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Gmaps link: http://goo.gl/maps/30ich

What time are you planning to start? If you plan to leave at least by 2 in the afternoon, you would be able to comfortably clear the bad stretches in daylight/twilight.

I don't think there is any issue driving through Makutta ghats in the night. Fog could have been an issue, but not during summer.
Thanks for your reply and the map link, sandsun!
We'll be starting around 2pm, so expect to cover the bad stretches in the daylight.

Regards
Rex
Old 6th April 2013, 14:08   #1075

Question re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
My scorpio was all battered and rattling like crazy after 35kms of drive through hell. Hell as in Hunsur -- Gonikoppa route. One of the worst roads I have driven through in the recent times and this was about 2 weeks back.

So stay away and do the siddapura--virajpet -- amatthi route to kannur. Just about 6/7 kms of not so bad roads.
Just a question. Has anyone tried Hunsur-Nagarhole (Murkal Checkpost) and right turn INSIDE the sanctuary to join back to Gonikoppal? The right turnoff is about 5 kms after Murkal gate while coming from Hunsur side and is the Thithimathi-Konankatte link road via Karmad-Nittoor-Balele. This can potentially avoid the bad stretch between Periyaptne and Siddapur (provided the forest road is in motorable condition).
aithal303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 09:48   #1076
BHPian

Done Bangalore - Payyanur yesterday. Started from BLR around 11:30am and reached Payyanur at 9pm via Srirangapatna byepass - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapura - Iritty - Srikantapuram - Thalipparamba - Payyanur with lots of breaks in between

Took the srirangapatna byepass to view some green and calm places and wanted to avoid the hot and boring mysore ring road. In this stretch, the first 200mtrs just after the KRS turn off has completely spoiled..but it looks like they are going to re-lay the road. Overall this stretch is quiet doable and time saving.

After Ammathi, road is getting re-laid till Perumpadi checkpost. The work is still on. There are constructions happening at Chengalayi after Srikantapuram. You need to be very much carefull in night..!!

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 12:52   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply and the map link, sandsun!
We'll be starting around 2pm, so expect to cover the bad stretches in the daylight.
We drove Bangalore-Iritty on Friday afternoon. Started around 2pm from Hennur and hit Iritty by 9pm or so. We could cover the bad stretch of road after the Periyaptna turn just as it was getting dark. Road beyond this point is bumpy too but compared to this bad stretch it's good. Most of the stretch is patched and not very smooth. Road re-laying is in progress after Virajpet.

A km or so of road on the Srirangapatnam-Yelawala stretch, after the KRS turn, is really bad. One layer of road is taken off for re-laying. It's as if driving on a freshly plowed dry land.

We had to do some driving around before returning, visiting some relatives. We drove to Perambra on Saturday afternoon, then to Pullooampara. And started the return trip around 9 on Sunday morning via Wayanad-Gundlepet-Chamaraj Nagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura to hit home around 5pm. Ghat section is amazing to drive. Never seen the ghat roads so nicely done and maintained. Most of the Gundlepet-ChamrajNagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura stretch is excellent and very peaceful to drive.

Regards
Rex
Old 8th April 2013, 13:51   #1078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A km or so of road on the Srirangapatnam-Yelawala stretch, after the KRS turn, is really bad. One layer of road is taken off for re-laying. It's as if driving on a freshly plowed dry land.
Take the regular Mysore ring road on the way back. Thats much better. Just that at night be careful about abrupt diversions at one or two places.
Old 9th April 2013, 16:05   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Kannur tomorrow

What is the status of Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch?
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 16:57   #1080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Driving to Kannur tomorrow

What is the status of Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch?
Not worth taking. Take the alternative via Periyapatna/Siddapura/Ammathi.