Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th April 2013, 07:41   #1081
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Driving to Kannur tomorrow

What is the status of Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch?
@Latheesh, I see some updates in this facebok page -> http://www.facebook.com/RepairHunsur...alRoad?fref=ts

Also, i saw fresh tar marks on the road starting from Perumpadi CHeckpost to Gonikkoppal. No idea about the whole stretch..!!

My suggestion is to take your normal route (Periyapatna - Siddapura)
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 14:28   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rajesh!

I follow that facebook page and saw few pictures. Looks like it will be ready in a month or two.

As per your suggestion I will take Periyapatna-Siddapura route this time.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 17:46   #1083
BHPian

Came to Kannur in the KaSRTC airawat yesterday. The road from Hunsur to Gonikoppal is in absolute shambles to say the least! No one in the bus could sleep through the stretch due to the horrible condition of the road. Work is going on in some stretches but would still take a lot of time to complete. For the time being, its highly advisable not to take this route.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 13:26   #1084
BHPian

Back from a drive yesterday, took the Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Amatti-Virajpet-Iritty route both ways.

Barring some streches, this is comparitively the most rattle free route for your car and self
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 12:24   #1085
BHPian

For payyanur/nileswaram, take the Hunsur-Madikeri -sullia -cherkala stretch. good roads till 10kms before sullia town. Roads are good again, as you get off highway towards cherkala, so only 20kms on 400km route was pleasure drive. started at 6.15 bangalore, reached nileswaram at 2 noon.
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 17:29   #1086
BHPian

hi,

I drived down in a scorpio from Kuthupramba on 15/04 thru irrity,Gonikopal,Hunsur,srirangapatanam,Bangalore.

Taken 7hours to reach Hebbal with one 30 min break at Kamat, rest non stop.Lot of road widening goin on between Hunsur-Gonikopal stretch.

Road is ok for SUVs.

Last edited by Rajith : 16th April 2013 at 17:31.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 18:12   #1087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Road is ok for SUVs.

Instead of Gonikoppal you should have done Virajpet-Ammati-Siddapur-Periyapatna-Hunsur. Roads are much better and only a small strech of 5-10km is bad.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 19:15   #1088
BHPian

Just for the heck of it, I did the Hunsur-Gonikopal-Virajpet stretch. The fact remains that this is the shortest and the quickest route. 6:30AM-1:30PM from Electronic City to Kannur, with nearly an hour break (2.5 yr old on board).

I agree with Rajith that for an SUV, this route is more or less usable now. I drove in an SX4 shod with 225/65R16 which made the drive just about bearable. And I even took the same route on the way back. But if you really love your car, my advise would be to avoid it.

For about 5km once you deviate from the state highway after Hunsur, there is no road. Just a dirt track. This has actually made things much better than what it used to be. But after this its again back to the pothole ridden nightmare till you are out of the forest.

From there to Gonikkopal, things are ok. Gonikkopal to Virajpet is again bad. But the Virajpet bye-pass is butter smooth and things are good all the way from there.

The road work seems to be happening in right earnest, with widening also being done. If and when this road gets done, me thinks Bangalore-Kannur can be easily accomplished in less than 6 hours!(provided the ghats dont give away by then )
maxaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:01   #1089
BHPian

Came back to Bangalore by PK Travels Bus yesterday night. They took the Perumbadi Checkpost - Gonikkoppal - After the Forest checkpost took left to Periyapatna - Hunsur route. According to the driver, this is better than going straight to Hunsur. The road towards Periyaptna is patched up recently, still it is rough. The bus was bouncing at many places..!!
For cars, I belief the periyapatna - Siddapura road will be still better as most part of the road are re-laid now.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:43   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Came back to Bangalore by PK Travels Bus yesterday night. They took the Perumbadi Checkpost - Gonikkoppal - After the Forest checkpost took left to Periyapatna - Hunsur route. According to the driver, this is better than going straight to Hunsur.
I also travelled yesterday night in the Sam travels from Calicut. The driver took the Periyapatna route. On asking why he told, the direct route is in horrible condition and extra 7-10 kms is worth. The route taken is given below: https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...t=m&z=12&via=1
The condition of the roads between the Forest check post and Periyapatna is better as compared to the direct route. There were some occasional bad patches.I have never seen any bus taking this route in the past. Also seen some others also in this route.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:51   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Update: Some big craters after Periyapatna are filled with soil.
Periyapatna-Siddapura route is decent and is the best option till Hunsur-Gonikoppa road work is complete

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd April 2013 at 12:52.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 11:52   #1092
BHPian

I did a round trip from Bangalore to Kannur.

Onward:- Bangalore,Srirangapatna, Periyapatna, Sidapur, Ammathi, Virajpet, Kannur
Return:- Kannur, Gonikoppal, Pollibetta, Siddapura, Periyapatna, Srirangapatna, Bangalore

Pollibetta Siddapura road is good and scenic. To get onto Pollibetta road, from Gonikoppal take the left deviation to Ammathi (there is a sign board) continue on till you get a deadend. Here the road turns Left to Ammathi and Right to Pollibetta (there is a sign board).

Regards
Alex
AKi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 13:35   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKi10 View Post
I did a round trip from Bangalore to Kannur.

Return:- Kannur, Gonikoppal, Pollibetta, Siddapura, Periyapatna, Srirangapatna, Bangalore
Any specific reason why you chose to go till Gonikoppal to reach Siddapura? The direct road from Virajpet to Ammathi is freshly relaid and is in very good condition. Work was going in in some sections when I traveled on 14th April. I assume the work would have got completed now.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 25th April 2013 at 13:38.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 11:15   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any specific reason why you chose to go till Gonikoppal to reach Siddapura? The direct road from Virajpet to Ammathi is freshly relaid and is in very good condition. Work was going in in some sections when I traveled on 14th April. I assume the work would have got completed now.
I had to meet somebody there.
AKi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 18:18   #1095
BHPian

Need help on Bangalore - Kannur Road Conditions

1) Is Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapur - Amatti - Virajpet - Iritty - Kannur Route still the best to route to travel?
2) How is the road condition now?
3) Do we have enough sign board on Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Amatti-Virajpet-Iritty for first time travellers on this route? or can we repy on Google maps on mobile?
4) Can it be done within 7-8 hours with a break ?
5) Recommended stay Kanaka beach house or hotel blue nile? Already tried Mascot Beach Resort.

Thanks
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote