Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th May 2013, 15:25   #1111
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
How bad is the stretch between periyapatna and Siddapura? Is it something drivable at a modest 20-25 kms/hr or we have to really slowdown, stop and get into each crater and come out of it?
Except for the 2-3 places where you have to really slow down, rest of the route can be done in 60-80kmph or even above. Most of the roads have been repaired or potholes filled up. The major bad sector is now immediately after you enter from Periyapatna.
I did this route today (Route: Payyanur-Taliparamba-Iritty-Virajpet-Siddapura-Periyapatna-Yelwala byepass-Bangalore)

Please note that I drive a Punto. Scrapped the underbelly just once, which I could have avoided if I was a little more careful.
Looked like there was heavy rain in Virajpet in the last couple of days. I could see trees uprooted in the wind. Some were on the road and were being cleared. Anyone driving in the night needs to be really careful because portions of some of the trees uprooted are still jutting on to the middle of the road.
igniteddriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 21:35   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
I did this route today (Route: Payyanur-Taliparamba-Iritty-Virajpet-Siddapura-Periyapatna-Yelwala byepass-Bangalore)
How is the condition at Chengalayi and Sreekantapuram in the Taliparamba-Iritty stretch...?
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 22:15   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
How is the condition at Chengalayi and Sreekantapuram in the Taliparamba-Iritty stretch...?
That stretch is yet to be tarred, but road has been leveled. It was pretty bad when I drove home for Vishu. It's much better now.
igniteddriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 08:32   #1114
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Kannur on Friday evening. Started at 3.15 PM from Bangalore and reached Kannur (Alavil) by 11.05 PM. Took the Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet route. Some of the big potholes on some stretches of Periyapatna-Siddapura road have been filled with soil and the drive is much easier now. I did not have much trouble negotiating the stretch in the dark. Wish they had done the same on the entire stretch.
Asphalting of the stretch from Siddapura to Virajpet/Perumpadi check post is now 99% completed. So its super smooth tarmac all the way from Siddapura to Kannur except a stretch of 100 meters somewhere after Ammathi town where construction (of a culvert I presume) is going on.

Will be returning back through the same route on Tuesday morning, this time in daylight. Will try to get some snaps.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 09:27   #1115
BHPian

Here is a video I shot when driving home for Vishu. It does not contain the bad sector. Recorded just to check the efficiency of the windshield camera mount.

Quote:
Started at 3.15 PM from Bangalore and reached Kannur (Alavil) by 11.05 PM. Took the Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet route.
I started at 5.15 AM yesterday from Payyanur reached Bangalore(Sarjapur Road) at 1.15 PM. Took 30 minutes break.
igniteddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:57   #1116

Just had a Bangalore - Payyanur - Bangalore trip. Onward I took the Mysore ring road and it was a breeze, thanks to our fellow-BHPians. There is no chance of getting lost now, though there are sudden diversions on and off. This could be a safety issue at night, so while returning last night I took the Eliwala bypass.

Took the Periyapatna - Siddapura route onward and return based on suggestions here, and it is the obvious choice now. The stretch is very drivable now and the number of bad stretches is very limited. But one may avoid doing this stretch during rainy/windy conditions as indicated by igniteddriver.

Started around 3 45 PM yesterday from Payyanur and reached Bangalore at 12 15 AM. Took Taliparamba – Iritty – Virajpet – Siddapura – Periyapatna – Eliwala bypass route. This is with a 20 min detour to Pazassi Dam, 20 mins tea break at Vallithode, 45 mins at Hunsur Café Coorg. The Srirangapatna – Bangalore drive was very easy, never experienced such a thin traffic, though this is my usual time of return from Kerala.

Quote:
Work is still on, and to be careful if you cover this stretch at night. Better to follow some local vehicle if you get any! or look for the oncoming vehicles for identifying the path. Very dusty indeed.
Nalin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 11:22   #1117
BHPian

Quote:

Work is still on, and to be careful if you cover this stretch at night. Better to follow some local vehicle if you get any! or look for the oncoming vehicles for identifying the path. Very dusty indeed.
Last day read a report in Mathrubhumi that the road at Chengalayi is in bad shape and vehicles are getting deviated via different roads due to too much of slush after rains. I perfer to avoid this route till the monsoon gets over. Currently the Kannur - Iritty road is in good shape and its worth for spending the few extra KMs.

Last edited by RajeshK : 24th May 2013 at 11:31.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 12:15   #1118
BHPian

Default Re: A thread on Accomodation & Rates

Hi guys,

Any good hotel (safe for family & clean) on NH 4 at chitradurga and in Mysore. I would be going to kerala Via NH -> Hiriyur -> Mysore -> Wayanad.

Thanks for your help.
acsandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 13:03   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
Hi guys,

Any good hotel (safe for family & clean) on NH 4 at chitradurga and in Mysore. I would be going to kerala Via NH -> Hiriyur -> Mysore -> Wayanad.

Thanks for your help.
You have not mentioned from where you would be going assuming its from Mumbai?

Chitradurga only has a Naveen Regency which is fairly run down.http://naveenregency.com/cd-overview.php.The place has improved over the past couple of months is what I heard.

You would be better off staying at Hubli-Clarks,Hans,Metropole and then drive straight to Mysore via Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Holenarsipura-KR Nagar-Mysore.Mango Suites is a good place to stay in Mysore http://www.mangosuites.com/hotels/co...ore-india.html

While coming from Hunsur road,the hotel is at Jayalakshmipuram(just off the ORR).Next day get back to the ring road and drive off towards Nanjagud https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...a=2,3&t=m&z=13

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 30th May 2013 at 13:10.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 14:15   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You have not mentioned from where you would be going assuming its from Mumbai?

Chitradurga only has a Naveen Regency which is fairly run down.http://naveenregency.com/cd-overview.php.The place has improved over the past couple of months is what I heard.

You would be better off staying at Hubli-Clarks,Hans,Metropole and then drive straight to Mysore via Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Holenarsipura-KR Nagar-Mysore.Mango Suites is a good place to stay in Mysore http://www.mangosuites.com/hotels/co...ore-india.html

While coming from Hunsur road,the hotel is at Jayalakshmipuram(just off the ORR).Next day get back to the ring road and drive off towards Nanjagud https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...a=2,3&t=m&z=13
Hi...i would be coming from Pune. I intend to leave Pune at 5AM and reach Chitradurga at around 5PM taking a few breaks in between. In another thread i have be suggested this route:

Pune -> Satara -> Kolhapur -> Belgaum -> Hubli -> Hiriyur -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Periyapatna -> Siddapur -> Ammathi -> Virajpet -> Irrity -> Kannur

Is there any better alternative available?
Old 30th May 2013, 14:34   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi...i would be coming from Pune. I intend to leave Pune at 5AM and reach Chitradurga at around 5PM taking a few breaks in between. In another thread i have be suggested this route:

Pune -> Satara -> Kolhapur -> Belgaum -> Hubli -> Hiriyur -> Mysore -> Hunsur -> Periyapatna -> Siddapur -> Ammathi -> Virajpet -> Irrity -> Kannur

Is there any better alternative available?
Your earlier post mentioned Wayanad and hence I suggested Nanjagud and your present post says Kannur.

To Kannur,the best route at the moment is the one that you have mentioned.You can easily make it to Kannur with an early morning start from Chitradurga in about 10-12hrs of comfortable driving.There is no need of taking an additional halt at Mysore.In fact instead of staying at Chitradurga,you can even consider staying at Chikmagalur if you dont spend time between Pune and C'durga.Next day you can drive Chikmagalur-Hunsur-Kannur.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 15:27   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Your earlier post mentioned Wayanad and hence I suggested Nanjagud and your present post says Kannur.

To Kannur,the best route at the moment is the one that you have mentioned.You can easily make it to Kannur with an early morning start from Chitradurga in about 10-12hrs of comfortable driving.There is no need of taking an additional halt at Mysore.In fact instead of staying at Chitradurga,you can even consider staying at Chikmagalur if you dont spend time between Pune and C'durga.Next day you can drive Chikmagalur-Hunsur-Kannur.
Thanks for such fast response. Do you by chance know the condition of the road between Chitradurga and Chikmangalur?
Old 30th May 2013, 15:39   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for such fast response. Do you by chance know the condition of the road between Chitradurga and Chikmangalur?
Traditional 2 laned state highways.https://www.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...mra=ls&t=m&z=8
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:54   #1124

Quote:
Last day read a report in Mathrubhumi that the road at Chengalayi is in bad shape and vehicles are getting deviated via different roads due to too much of slush after rains. I perfer to avoid this route till the monsoon gets over. Currently the Kannur - Iritty road is in good shape and its worth for spending the few extra KMs.
Yes, this is indeed in very bad shape. I had a Bangalore - Payyanur solo drive on Sunday. I took the deviation from Irikkur, to Mayyil (via Chooliyad, Pavanoormotta) and to Dharmasala via Parassinikkadavu. I feel this is a better way out now for those who are bound for Taliparamba and further. The roads are good and this does not significantly add additional kms. Asking for directions at two points in heavy rains was an issue. But I was keen on avoiding the traffic through Kannur (Chovva to Puthhiyathheru). There is one more option of driving upto Varam on Iritty - Kannur road and then take the road to Kakkad - puthhiyatheru - for those may like to avoid Kannur traffic.
Nalin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:35   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is indeed in very bad shape. I had a Bangalore - Payyanur solo drive on Sunday. I took the deviation from Irikkur, to Mayyil (via Chooliyad, Pavanoormotta) and to Dharmasala via Parassinikkadavu. I feel this is a better way out now for those who are bound for Taliparamba and further. The roads are good and this does not significantly add additional kms. Asking for directions at two points in heavy rains was an issue. But I was keen on avoiding the traffic through Kannur (Chovva to Puthhiyathheru). There is one more option of driving upto Varam on Iritty - Kannur road and then take the road to Kakkad - puthhiyatheru - for those may like to avoid Kannur traffic.
I came back from Payyanur to Bangalore on 30th May'13 via Kannur - Mattannur - Iritty - Virajpet - Periyapatna - Srirangaptna. Started by 5am so there was no traffic at Kannur. In fact I was able to reach Iritty faster that the normal (Sreekantapuram - Irikkur) route which is full twists and turns.

The Srirangaptna byepass is better now and only issue is the 50mtrs at the KRS turn off which is quite manageable.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote