Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th June 2013, 07:52   #1126
BHPian

Default Re: A thread on Accomodation & Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
So i reached kerala on 31st evening. I Stayed in Chitradurga (Hotel Aishwarya Fort) just 200Mt off NH4. It was an old run down hotel but was very safe.

I left for mysore early morning and reached Hunsur at 1:00 PM, there were many diversions on the NH4 after Chitradurga and the truckers ensured we got delayed at every such diversion.

While going towards Periyapatnam there was a sign board which said "Virajpet towards left". We took that turn and it was the worst decision of our trip so far . After about 2 Kms the roads started to disappear and it seemed like we have landed on the moon with so many big craters. I suppose the road between Periyapatnam and Virajpet would have been much better.
acsandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 08:01   #1127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
After about 2 Kms the roads started to disappear and it seemed like we have landed on the moon with so many big craters. I suppose the road between Periyapatnam and Virajpet would have been much better.

This section is bad for about 5-10km at max. Its still better than the alternative option via Gonikoppal, which is worse! So that way this is till the best option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 08:15   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This section is bad for about 5-10km at max. Its still better than the alternative option via Gonikoppal, which is worse! So that way this is till the best option.
Thanks ampere. I must mention the ghat section after Virajpet -> kodagu. It was a dream road, very smooth and properly marked. Last time i remember going via this road it was very bad with potholes and loose gravel everywhere. While navigating the ghat we encountered rain and the visibility was very poor. But because of the condition of the road it was a child's play.

BTW, i have decided to take the Mangalore -> udipi -> () ... hubli -> belgaum -> kolhapur -> satara -> Pune route for my return journey.
acsandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 08:21   #1129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
BTW, i have decided to take the Mangalore -> udipi -> () ... hubli -> belgaum -> kolhapur -> satara -> Pune route for my return journey.

I presume you are planning to take the route Udupi-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli.

Its a good option for a change. But be cautious about traffic between Mangalore-Manipal/Udupi and twisty 2-lane roads all along. With monsoon slowly setting in, you may have to face some good rains too.

PS: In the hind sight, what better time to drive on the NH17! The initial monsoon without the actual deluge!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 12:49   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Read on FB that Hunsur-Gonikoppa road work is stopped due to rain.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 10:52   #1131
BHPian

We (a group of 20) are visiting Kannur on first week of August. We are planning to hire a 21 seater bus. Given this, what is the best route? We should count for heavy rains too, right? I was planning to take Bangalore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Virajpet-Irrity-Kannur route.
Can anybody help be with the travel time? 10 hrs? We will need couple of breaks for sure.

Thanks in advance.
cuttingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 11:35   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
We (a group of 20) are visiting Kannur on first week of August. We are planning to hire a 21 seater bus. Given this, what is the best route? We should count for heavy rains too, right? I was planning to take Bangalore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Virajpet-Irrity-Kannur route.
Can anybody help be with the travel time? 10 hrs? We will need couple of breaks for sure.

Thanks in advance.
Bangalore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Virajpet-Irrity-Kannur will be the best route and you may require 10hours. Starting early will help to avoid the Mysore road traffic. Is your final destination is Kannur town or some where nearby? During business hours, there will be huge traffic in NH @ Kannur.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 11:47   #1133
BHPian

Thanks Rajesh.
Yes we intend to start early, but with kids and family you never know :-)
We will put up at Blue Mermaid Homestay, near Thottada beach. So if you have finer details on the route inside Kannur, that will be very helpful.
Old 28th June 2013, 17:14   #1134
Senior - BHPian

@cuttingcrew - You dont need to go to Kannur. Take a left turn at Mele Chovva signal (Right go towards Kannur) and your resort is around 7 KM from Mele Chovva

Iritty to Mele Chovva is around 42 KM (Route : Iritty-Mattanur-Mele Chovva)
Attached Images

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th June 2013 at 17:16.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 10:48   #1135
BHPian

Thanks a lot, Latheesh. I guess this solves the traffic problem that Rajesh was referring to.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:06   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Latheesh. I guess this solves the traffic problem that Rajesh was referring to.
It is raining heavily in Coorg. Be careful while driving.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:14   #1137
BHPian

Actually I am not driving, but hiring a bus (a group of 20). But yes, the rains do concern me. I just hope that a bus will be better option with rains and bad roads.
Old 6th July 2013, 17:36   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, During peak hours it may take 15-20 min to cross first couple of KM from Mele Chovva. Aftter that it is good till you reach your resort.

Please do check the condition of tires/spare of your Bus before starting your journey
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 08:32   #1139
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Payyanur today. Any one knows the latest condition of the road..? I heard that its raining heavily every wehere in Kerala.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 11:56   #1140
Senior - BHPian

I heard it is raining in Coorg too, so expect a below average road condition between Periyapatna-Siddapura. Roads at Kerala side looks to be in good condition.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote