Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 14:39   #1276
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HYD & BLR
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

sorry Sandeep, its the latter one , the stretch attached to Nagarahole (RGWS)
shimshumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:36   #1277
BHPian
 
igniteddriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kasargod
Posts: 28
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I read in Mathrubhumi a few days back that the contractor had abandoned work due to non-payment of dues by the government.
There are chances that work may be started again since elections are coming. But then, they are just chances.
igniteddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 03:15   #1278
BHPian
 
thefuturist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Just came back from a Bangalore - Nileshwar - Kannur - Bangalore trip last week. Thanks to all the posts in this thread, I consciously decided to take NH48 (Bangalore - Mangalore Highway) via Channarayapatna to Madikeri and thereafter the Talcauvery route through Bhagamandala and Kanhangad on to Nileshwar. Though a narrow, winding route through the ghats, the road conditions were pretty good throughout as I had last seen it in 2009/2010 (possibly due to the lack of heavy vehicles on this route). A word of advice though - this would be a much longer route for those headed towards Kannur and you should take it only if you are headed towards Nileshwar or Bekal.

While driving back, we took SH-30 through Koothuparamba, Iritty and Virajpet, and then on to Madikeri through SH-27. The roads were smooth throughout and even a relaxed drive would take you to Madikeri in a little over 3 hrs. From Madikeri we traced back the route for our onward journey through Somwarpet, Shanivarasanthe and Arakalgud onto Channarayapatna which again is a smooth drive through SH-8 and SH-27, except for a 1.6 km broken stretch somewhere between Arakalgud and Channarayapatna (no potholes - only that the tarmac is entirely missing on this stretch). Just take your feet off the gas pedal and patiently let your tyres tackle the broken tarmac - before you know it, you should be done with it. Once you hit NH-48, you should be home in Bangalore in 2 hrs flat.

I would any day prefer this route over Mysore Road where the heavy traffic and the intersections can really stress you out. The snapshots of the onward and return journey routes are attached.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bang...12.2590521!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bang...12.2590521!3e0
thefuturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 16:37   #1279
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I'm doing Bangalore - Nileshwar - Bangalore this month end along with family including 20 mts old baby, need suggestion on which route to take. My priority is drivability and ease of traffic. Went through couple of latest posts in the thread and have 3 routes in mind.

1) Bangalore > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Gundya > Kukke > Jalsur > Cherkala > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
2) Bangalore > Kanakpura > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
3) Bangalore >Mandya > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar (I guess traffic will be high on this route, and this route is famous for speed barkers)

First route is based on fellow member - zoombiee's post <http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3378777>

And, any eateries suggested on the route

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturist View Post
Just came back from a Bangalore - Nileshwar - Kannur - Bangalore trip last week. Thanks to all the posts in this thread, I
consciously decided to take NH48 .......

While driving back, we took SH-30 through Koothuparamba, Iritty and Virajpet, and then on to Madikeri through SH-27. ....

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bang...12.2590521!3e0
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bang...12.2590521!3e0
From you post I can make out the onward and return was relaxed and comfortable drive, what was your total travel time ?

Cheers !!!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 16:54   #1280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 289
Thanked: 94 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
I'm doing Bangalore - Nileshwar - Bangalore this month end along with family including 20 mts old baby, need suggestion on which route to take. My priority is drivability and ease of traffic. Went through couple of latest posts in the thread and have 3 routes in mind.

1) Bangalore > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Gundya > Kukke > Jalsur > Cherkala > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
2) Bangalore > Kanakpura > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
3) Bangalore >Mandya > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar (I guess traffic will be high on this route, and this route is famous for speed barkers)

First route is based on fellow member - zoombiee's post <http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3378777>

And, any eateries suggested on the route



From you post I can make out the onward and return was relaxed and comfortable drive, what was your total travel time ?

Cheers !!!!
Please take the route that I have recommended. From Madikeri the route you should take is via Panathur. The Cherkala road is in much better condition than the roads around Panathur.

About road side eateries. You have Sakleshpur and Kukke on the way. Both places have plenty of places to eat. After Kukke to Cherkala not many places to stop and eat.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 17:23   #1281
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please take the route that I have recommended. From Madikeri the route you should take is via Panathur. The Cherkala road is in much better condition than the roads around Panathur......
Thanks buddy. I guess you wanted to say avoid Panathur route, as the route is in pretty bad shape.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 17:27   #1282
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 289
Thanked: 94 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Thanks buddy. I guess you wanted to say avoid Panathur route, as the route is in pretty bad shape.

Cheers !!!
I did the Sulya - Panathur road and those were the worst road conditions that I have driven in a long time. When I enquired in Nileshwar, most drivers stated that the Panathur - Madikeri road is only slightly better. The Cherkala - Jalsoor road feels like a tarmac in comparison. Plus, the route is very very scenic.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 18:57   #1283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 478
Thanked: 418 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
My priority is drivability and ease of traffic. Went through couple of latest posts in the thread and have 3 routes in mind.

1) Bangalore > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Gundya > Kukke > Jalsur > Cherkala > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
2) Bangalore > Kanakpura > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
3) Bangalore >Mandya > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar (I guess traffic will be high on this route, and this route is famous for speed barkers)
First week of March I had tried route 1 & 2, plus another..

Route 1 (Blore-Kukke-Cherkala): Good roads, minimal traffic on the Kukke stretch. The overall bad roads for the entire route would be under 2 kms. The negatives would be that the Kukke-Jalsoor-Cherkala stretch, though good roads, are with lots of turns (winding roads). Doesn't gel with those having motion-sickness. Also limited options for eateries on this stretch.

Route 3: Avoid at all costs. At least 25km of bad roads/ non-existent roads on this stretch , i.e. from Panathur to Bhagamandala.

I had taken the Nileshwar-Mangalore- Sakleshpur-Hasan-B'lore route as well. Though the distance was slightly more (~25km I guess), there were no problems with my 'motion-sick' family compared to the Kukke route.


Food options we had tried:

1) Mythri (near Sakleshpur bus stand - on your right towards Mangalore): Was ok and had basic facilities.

2) Kamat after Channarayapatna bypass (next to a petrol bunk on the other side while travelling towards Mangalore - opposite to Aadya's). Was good and better compared to Mythri.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vinjosep : 17th March 2014 at 19:00.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 20:35   #1284
BHPian
 
thefuturist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
I'm doing Bangalore - Nileshwar - Bangalore this month end along with family including 20 mts old baby, need suggestion on which route to take. My priority is drivability and ease of traffic. Went through couple of latest posts in the thread and have 3 routes in mind.

1) Bangalore > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Gundya > Kukke > Jalsur > Cherkala > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
2) Bangalore > Kanakpura > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar
3) Bangalore >Mandya > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madkeri > Kolichal > Kanhangad > Nileshwar (I guess traffic will be high on this route, and this route is famous for speed barkers)

You may try out route #1 - the advantage being you can stay on the fantastic NH48 for almost 70% of your journey. I am not sure of the rest of the roads through Kukke Subramanya and Jalsoor.

Avoid Kanakpura Road as the two-way roads would slow you down considerably - I would rather prefer Mysore Road which can sustain triple digit speeds for the most part.

Quote:
And, any eateries suggested on the route
We planned out our route with Madikeri as a logical stop for lunch (Coorg International during the onward journey and The Fort Mercara during return) - slightly expensive options, but the food is relatively good and safe for the kids.

Quote:
From you post I can make out the onward and return was relaxed and comfortable drive, what was your total travel time ?

Cheers !!!!
Driving time (excluding stops) was 8 hrs either way. The roads were good and one would definitely enjoy the drive.
thefuturist is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:07   #1285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 289
Thanked: 94 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I had taken the Nileshwar-Mangalore- Sakleshpur-Hasan-B'lore route as well. Though the distance was slightly more (~25km I guess), there were no problems with my 'motion-sick' family compared to the Kukke route.


Hope this helps.
Nileshwar to Mangalore is via Kasargod. There are 2 roads. One is straight parallel to the sea. This road is closed midway for broadening. One has to traverse inside towns. It takes a very long time. If you intend to go via Mangalore follow NH 17 (although longer). Kanhanghad -> Cherkala -> Kasargod. The roads are awesome. I travelled from Kasargod to Munjeshwar and the roads were pretty good. However, I think this road is atleast 60-70kms more than the other route and not 25.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 12:29   #1286
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Please take the route that I have recommended. ..... After Kukke to Cherkala not many places to stop and eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
..Route 1 (Blore-Kukke-Cherkala): Good roads, minimal traffic on the Kukke stretch. The overall bad roads for the entire route would be under 2 kms. The negatives would be that the Kukke-Jalsoor-Cherkala stretch, though good roads, are with lots of turns (winding roads). Doesn't gel with those having motion-sickness. Also limited options for eateries on this stretch....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturist View Post
You may try out route #1 - the advantage being you can stay on the fantastic NH48 for almost 70% of your journey. I am not sure of the rest of the roads through Kukke Subramanya and Jalsoor. ....Driving time (excluding stops) was 8 hrs either way. The roads were good and one would definitely enjoy the drive.
zoombiee, vinjosep, thefuturist - Considering the drive you people had on this route, and for all the good reasons route-1 seems to be the preferred one . Thanks guys for the suggestions and options.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 01:11   #1287
BHPian
 
thefuturist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post




zoombiee, vinjosep, thefuturist - Considering the drive you people had on this route, and for all the good reasons route-1 seems to be the preferred one . Thanks guys for the suggestions and options.

Cheers !!!
Have a safe drive and do post an update on the road conditions. Of late the ruling parties in various states seem to have gone into a road-mending frenzy, so it is unlikely that you would encounter too much of broken roads anywhere. Saw this in Kannur town as well, where quite a few of the bylanes south of the Edapally-Panvel Highway were either wearing a fresh coat of tar, or were being readied for one.
thefuturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:21   #1288
BHPian
 
princenoble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I frequently travel between Bangalore and Iritty/Alakode. Now my regular preferred route is Mangalore Highway

AECS Layout-Hebbal-Jalahally, nilamangala thru Mangalore highway, chenrayapattana, arakalgoud, somwarpet , madikeri, virajpet, iritty is good for following reasons.

No broken stretches except for 1.5 KM
Bangalore to Chenrayapattana (140 Kms) is a very relaxing drive which u can cover witthin 1.5 hours
Good roads to drive there after as well-very less traffic too.
It is scenic, especially, Somwarpet till Iritty.

Thanks,
Prince
princenoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 11:01   #1289
BHPian
 
sivadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

My parents came from Kannur (to Bangalore) couple of days back. They think the private bus had come via Gonikoppal and road work is mostly done. I am not totally sure about it (being old, they might not have observed the entire stretch of road between Perumbadi and Hunsur). Does anybody know if work is completed/getting completed soon.
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 11:20   #1290
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 229 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
My parents came from Kannur (to Bangalore) couple of days back. They think the private bus had come via Gonikoppal and road work is mostly done. I am not totally sure about it (being old, they might not have observed the entire stretch of road between Perumbadi and Hunsur). Does anybody know if work is completed/getting completed soon.
As per the latest news the work between Gonikoppal and Anechoukoor Check Post(http://goo.gl/maps/XjGw1) is completed. In Anechoukoor Check Post to Hunsur section(http://goo.gl/maps/r34ma), the work is still going on. The Perumpadi to Gonikoppal(http://goo.gl/maps/OS3WG) road was really bad previously. If it's repaired then it's a very good news.
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune-Bangalore-Mysore-Kannur-Bangalore ambivalent_98 Travelogues 4 17th November 2010 11:39
12 hours to do B'lore-Kannur-B'lore - Best Route? Steeroid Route / Travel Queries 38 7th January 2009 21:43
Bangalore Munnar-kannur-bangalore -1500kms Round Trip ad75 Travelogues 25 23rd April 2008 13:25
Travelogue - Bangalore - Mysore - Nagarhole - Kannur - Bangalore anainar Travelogues 10 16th January 2008 18:56
Bangalore Kannur route?? amitoj Shifting gears 23 27th May 2005 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks