Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 13:33   #1336
BHPian
 
Anoopscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I reached kannur yesterday via the direct route Gonikoppal-Perumbadi.The road between Anechoukoor check post and Gonokoppal is wider and in very good condition also few kms in the Initial and end of the road. Rest of the road is very worse for a sedan and in night it would be worst. I saw only SUV's on this road moving faster compared to my 20kmph. Attched an image of the road which is just tolerable.


Also the KRS road near belagula railway station is closed now and have to take a left turn just after the green palace hotel. This mud road(In night it looked like an off road as there is no other way)which is in bad shape, not in GPS and I got the information from locals.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-20140409_224522.jpg  

Anoopscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 00:45   #1337
BHPian
 
sivadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Went to Kannur and came back..
Took Hunsur-Periyapatana-Veerajpet-Iritty route for onward journey. I was also caught by surprise (as mentioned by Anoop) with road being closed at KRS turn. In fact, not realizing that road is closed, I followed the available road (towards KRS)for a while and had to return! The alternate road (temporary one) was barely manageable.
As expected, after Periyapatana road was in bad shape for around 8-10Km. Overall took around 8.5hrs.
While returning, tried the Mananthavadi-Kattikkulam-Bavali-HD-Kote route. Forest part of this route is really good. But had to negotiate the 8Kms of mud road(permanent diversion through few villages). I would say this is still better than the bad patches of Periyapatana route. Overall, return journey was faster taking around 7.5 hours (had my family with me while going but alone during return ).
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 01:45   #1338
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
While returning, tried the Mananthavadi-Kattikkulam-Bavali-HD-Kote route. Forest part of this route is really good. But had to negotiate the 8Kms of mud road(permanent diversion through few villages). I would say this is still better than the bad patches of Periyapatana route. Overall, return journey was faster taking around 7.5 hours (had my family with me while going but alone during return ).
What's the status of the relaying of roads on that diversion ? I thought they had opened up the road through the forest temporarily a few months ago because those village roads were being relaid ?
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 09:04   #1339
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
What's the status of the relaying of roads on that diversion ? I thought they had opened up the road through the forest temporarily a few months ago because those village roads were being relaid ?
Even I thought so But was it just levelling that they were doing all these months? No asphalt?
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 11:47   #1340
BHPian
 
commonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 167
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Upward Journey :Hunsur-Gonikkoppal Iritty - Smooth roads after Hunsur was a surprise. The first 10 Kms,after deviating from the Mysore-Madikeri route was a surprise. Then uneven roads for the next 20 Kms.Roads have been dug up to do tarring.Inside the RGW sanctuary its a disaster.After the forest till Gonikopal good roads. After Gonikopal road is being widened and asphalt being put .(5 Km of Bad roads)
Downward Journey :Virajpet -Sidhapura-Periyapattana - All well till Sidhapura,after that till Chennapatna ,very bad roads.The roads inside the villages will give creeps.

Conclusion:- The first route is anyway better since there is not much of a gain in time by taking the second route nor there is comfort for the extra 20 Kms.
commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 12:43   #1341
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Conclusion:- The first route is anyway better since there is not much of a gain in time by taking the second route nor there is comfort for the extra 20 Kms.

Do you mean to say that Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet is better than Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddhapur-Ammathi-Virajpet?

Thats news then!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 13:25   #1342
BHPian
 
Anoopscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I took the Virajpet-Siddhapur-Periyapatna route for my return journey. Itís only the last 8kms which has lots of potholes nowadays. I feel this road is still better than the gonikoppal route which is rough one with stones paved(I think for about 20kms), gave lots of vibrations inside my dzire.
Anoopscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 14:17   #1343
BHPian
 
sivadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Even I thought so But was it just levelling that they were doing all these months? No asphalt?
Looks like it is being tarred, already tarred near the main road on both sides. But currently no action in progress, may be due to election.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 16:14   #1344
BHPian
 
commonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 167
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I took the Virajpet-Siddhapur-Periyapatna route for my return journey. Itís only the last 8kms which has lots of potholes nowadays. I feel this road is still better than the gonikoppal route which is rough one with stones paved(I think for about 20kms), gave lots of vibrations inside my dzire.
Anoop, what about the road after Sidhapura .Inside the jungle (I don't know if its a jungle or coffee estate) the road was in a very bad condition.The last 9 Km is surely very bad. I did some mathematics regarding time spend on Virajpet-Periyapattana road (with traffic) and the Hunsur Gonikopal road .It seems the later is better with regard to speed and the road is in a completely drivable condition. When we know the road is bad we can drive slow,but the real trouble is sudden potholes and humps in normal road.There is no improvement for this road for the last 1 year .The swift that was in front of me was really taking s curves all over the road .(to avoid potholes).
commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 20:27   #1345
BHPian
 
bijubalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Hi,

Did Bangalore-Kannur round trip last weekend. Chose different routes for onward and return journey.
Onward
Bangalore-Mysore-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet-Iritty-Kannur
Total 330 Kms. Good drive except 7 odd kms after periyapatna once we deviate from SH 88 towards siddapura. Was still doable in i10.
Return
Kannur-Kuthuparamba-Periya-Boys town-Mananthavady-Bavali-HD Kote-Mysoe-Bangalore
Total 346 kms. Absolutely loved the scenic drive besides Kabani and pristine nature. Was really refreshing. Extra kms thus justified.There was a 6 km stretch after Bavali which was getting paved apart from which the roads were great.

Thanks
bijubalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 02:14   #1346
BHPian
 
Anoopscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Anoop, what about the road after Sidhapura .Inside the jungle (I don't know if its a jungle or coffee estate) the road was in a very bad condition.The last 9 Km is surely very bad. I did some mathematics regarding time spend on Virajpet-Periyapattana road (with traffic) and the Hunsur Gonikopal road .It seems the later is better with regard to speed and the road is in a completely drivable condition. When we know the road is bad we can drive slow,but the real trouble is sudden potholes and humps in normal road.There is no improvement for this road for the last 1 year .The swift that was in front of me was really taking s curves all over the road .(to avoid potholes).
What time you crossed both the roads?. It was night when I travelled via Gonikoppal road and even had to stop at one place, then reverse and take the opposite lane due to the difference in depth of the newly paved road. Also there are multiple culverts construction going on and had to wait for the oncoming vehicles to clear off. I was on the Periyapatna-Siddapura road in the evening time and relatively it was an easy drive for me even though itís full of curvy roads. But should say the best road is between Anechoukoor check post and Gonokoppal which is wider and straight.
Anoopscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 08:24   #1347
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 812
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I plan to drive to Murnad near Madikeri on 22nd.

Start from HSR Layout around 6 AM. I need to pick up some one from Bidadi, so SH17 is the better option.

What is the best route? Google maps shows Bglr -Mysore ORR - Hunsur -Periyapatna -sidhapura - Ammathi - Murnad.

The other route shown is Bglr -Mysore ORR - Hunsur -Periyapatna - Anechoukoor Check Post - - Gontikoppal - Virajpet - Murnad.

Which is better route for a Ritz?

I see from earlier posts that the KRS road is closed, hence will take the Mysore ORR.
__________________
arjithin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 10:14   #1348
BHPian
 
commonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 167
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
What time you crossed both the roads?. It was night when I travelled via Gonikoppal road and even had to stop at one place, then reverse and take the opposite lane due to the difference in depth of the newly paved road. Also there are multiple culverts construction going on and had to wait for the oncoming vehicles to clear off. I was on the Periyapatna-Siddapura road in the evening time and relatively it was an easy drive for me even though itís full of curvy roads. But should say the best road is between Anechoukoor check post and Gonokoppal which is wider and straight.
During night this road may be difficult since other than the car headlamps no lights will be there and the roads are narrow.The buses on these roads also drives very rashly. I assume this makes a difference.To tackle this issue,I start early morning by 6 from Bangalore.Reach Hunsur by 9 O clock .Reach Iritty by 12.00 Noon and by 1 at Kannur.Night driving is not for me .Hope,once the road is paved completely the traveling time will reduce further.
commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 10:44   #1349
BHPian
 
Anoopscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I plan to drive to Murnad near Madikeri on 22nd.

Start from HSR Layout around 6 AM. I need to pick up some one from Bidadi, so SH17 is the better option.

What is the best route? Google maps shows Bglr -Mysore ORR - Hunsur -Periyapatna -sidhapura - Ammathi - Murnad.

The other route shown is Bglr -Mysore ORR - Hunsur -Periyapatna - Anechoukoor Check Post - - Gontikoppal - Virajpet - Murnad.

Which is better route for a Ritz?

I see from earlier posts that the KRS road is closed, hence will take the Mysore ORR.
__________________
First option is Bglr -Mysore ORR - Hunsur -Periyapatna -sidhapura - Ammathi - Murnad. Initial 8-9kms on Periyapatna -sidhapura stretch is with lots of potholes.
Second option is Bglr -Mysore ORR - Hunsur -Periyapatna -Kushalnagar- madikeri- Murnad. This will add up around 13kms extra but the road is good.
Anoopscv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 11:28   #1350
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Came back from Payyanur yesterday. Took the normal route via Gonikkoppal - Hunsur. Its no more a nightmare. There are plenty of small and big cars taking this route now.

The Makutta Ghat section seems to be re-laid and there is fresh layer of tarring every where. The Perumbadi Check post to Bittangala (where the Virajpet road joins) route is also patched up.

Road work is in full swing from Bittangala to till Gonikkoppal town. You need to be little carefull while driving here. The road is rough at many places and going beyond 30km/hr is painful.

From Gonikkoppal town to till Anechowkur checkpost the road is in great condition and you can easily drive in 70-90 here. Once you cross the checkpost, initial 1km is very bad, but later on the road is in level and you can easily drive in lower speed. My friend was escorting me in his Ritz and I could see many sedans overtaking me in those stretches. The bad roads are almost 10kms only now rest all tarred.

Good news is the road work is progressing ..!!

At present, the direct route is better than any other alternates.

The Mysore - Bangalore road was hell yesterday due to heavy heavy traffic. It took 5hours to reach Bangalore from Mysore.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune-Bangalore-Mysore-Kannur-Bangalore ambivalent_98 Travelogues 4 17th November 2010 11:39
12 hours to do B'lore-Kannur-B'lore - Best Route? Steeroid Route / Travel Queries 38 7th January 2009 21:43
Bangalore Ė Munnar-kannur-bangalore -1500kms Round Trip ad75 Travelogues 25 23rd April 2008 13:25
Travelogue - Bangalore - Mysore - Nagarhole - Kannur - Bangalore anainar Travelogues 10 16th January 2008 18:56
Bangalore Kannur route?? amitoj Shifting gears 23 27th May 2005 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks