Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 17:28   #1441
BHPian
 
igniteddriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kasargod
Posts: 28
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
... But this very easy to manage as the road surface is levelled after a coating of metal and mud.
Hoping they soon complete the remaining part too. Then Bangalore- Payyanur would be 6-7 hours drive.

I could manage this in seven hours only in solo drives, not when driving with family.
igniteddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 18:48   #1442
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
Hoping they soon complete the remaining part too. Then Bangalore- Payyanur would be 6-7 hours drive.



I could manage this in seven hours only in solo drives, not when driving with family.

The work is in snail speed.. there are very less construction vehicle. No idea when this will complete.

Even now I could reach Payyanur in 6.30hrs
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 21:54   #1443
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Came back to Bangalore today. Started by 10:15am and reached Bangalore by 6pm including lunch break and tea break (total 1.30hr). The Mysore - Bangalore road traffic was hell with heavy rain between Madhur and Bidadi.

The picture below shows the condition of the un-completed stretch close to Anechowkur checkpost.

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-hunsur_gonikkoppal.jpg
RajeshK is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 13:22   #1444
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Came back to Bangalore today. Started by 10:15am and reached Bangalore by 6pm including lunch break and tea break (total 1.30hr). The Mysore - Bangalore road traffic was hell with heavy rain between Madhur and Bidadi.

The picture below shows the condition of the un-completed stretch close to Anechowkur checkpost.

Attachment 1258222
@ Rajesh and other recent travellers,

I will be driving down to Kannur on July 13. Planning to take:

Bangalore-NICE Road-Mysore Road- Mysore Ring Road- Hunsur- Gonikoppal-Perumbadi-Iritty-Kannur route as per suggestions of recent travellers. A reconfirmation that this route is okay will help me.

Would it be possible to give some land marks for turns at Hunsur to Gonikoppal and from there to Perumbadi byepass and Iritty? This is only the second time Iam driving to Kannur, that too after a gap of one year.

Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited by Aravindpn : 11th July 2014 at 13:23. Reason: grammar/typo
Aravindpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 12:47   #1445
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post

I will be driving down to Kannur on July 13. Planning to take:

Bangalore-NICE Road-Mysore Road- Mysore Ring Road- Hunsur- Gonikoppal-Perumbadi-Iritty-Kannur route as per suggestions of recent travellers. A reconfirmation that this route is okay will help me.

Would it be possible to give some land marks for turns at Hunsur to Gonikoppal and from there to Perumbadi byepass and Iritty? This is only the second time Iam driving to Kannur, that too after a gap of one year.

Looking forward to your reply.
Yes, at this moment this is the easiest and better route. You don't need to worry much about the diversions. At Mysore, remember to take the right turn at the first signal (There will be a canal going on top on the road, you will not miss it). At this signal, you can see Columbia Asia hospital diagonally opposite. Now you are in the mysore ring road and the very next signal make sure to change the lane to right side. Your direct lane is not laid properly. Now take exit at the next signal towards Hunsur/Madikeri.

Once you drive past Hunsur, after 3-4km you will reach a "Y" junction and take left here. The right will go to Madikeri and left will go to Gonikkoppal / Virajpet. Now keep continue this road. (After ~15km you will hit the bad patch for about ~10km). Once you crossed Gonikkoppal town, keep driving on the same route and don't deviate. You can see right turn towards Virajpet after around 12km from Gonikkoppal town. Here keep straight and this will take you to the Perumbadi checkpost.

Hope you know the routes once you are in side Kerala.

I have sent you a pvt message with my number, you can call me any time if there is any doubt.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 14:39   #1446
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Yes, at this moment this is the easiest and better route. You don't need to worry much about the diversions. At Mysore, remember to take the right turn at the first signal (There will be a canal going on top on the road, you will not miss it). At this signal, you can see Columbia Asia hospital diagonally opposite. Now you are in the mysore ring road and the very next signal make sure to change the lane to right side. Your direct lane is not laid properly. Now take exit at the next signal towards Hunsur/Madikeri.

Once you drive past Hunsur, after 3-4km you will reach a "Y" junction and take left here. The right will go to Madikeri and left will go to Gonikkoppal / Virajpet. Now keep continue this road. (After ~15km you will hit the bad patch for about ~10km). Once you crossed Gonikkoppal town, keep driving on the same route and don't deviate. You can see right turn towards Virajpet after around 12km from Gonikkoppal town. Here keep straight and this will take you to the Perumbadi checkpost.

Hope you know the routes once you are in side Kerala.

I have sent you a pvt message with my number, you can call me any time if there is any doubt.
Hey Rajesh,

This helps immensely. Incase of any doubts, will call you.
Aravindpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 17:02   #1447
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
Hey Rajesh,

This helps immensely. Incase of any doubts, will call you.
Completed the trip to Kannur with the help of crisp inputs from Rajesh. Started on July 13 at 3.30 am from JP Nagar and reached around 11.45 at Azhikode, Kannur, with stops in total adding to 30 mts. Returned on July 15 through same route. Started at around 3.45 am and reached JP Nagar, Bangalore at 11.45 am with similiar stops. It was continuosly raining both ways in routes of Mysore-Kannur. Looks like 10kms of bad patch from Hunsur to Anechowkur will be done up soon. Saw piles of stones and sand on road sides to fill holes and level the road. May be by end of this monsoon, it should be up.

Saw the below old tusker at Anechowkur, with one tusk. Reminded me of Lord Ganapathy and mantra:

"Om ekadantaya vidmahe Vakkratundaya dheemahi Tanno danti prachodayat"
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_6839v3.jpg  

Aravindpn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:41   #1448
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 345 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
Looks like 10kms of bad patch from Hunsur to Anechowkur will be done up soon
Is this the only bad patch on the Hunsur-Virajpet stretch?
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:43   #1449
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is this the only bad patch on the Hunsur-Virajpet stretch?

Yes, that is the only bad patch on the stretch
Aravindpn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 09:29   #1450
Newbie
 
ajishanand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

My first post. Travelling to Kannur this weekend. From above posts, looks like, Hunsur - Gonikopal direct route is better than Periyapattana route.
ajishanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 10:22   #1451
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,567
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
My first post. Travelling to Kannur this weekend. From above posts, looks like, Hunsur - Gonikopal direct route is better than Periyapattana route.

Except for the bad patch around Anechowkur checkpost


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 22:18   #1452
BHPian
 
Anoopscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

I reached Kannur today morning and just wanted to update here that the bad stretch become more uneven because of the heavy rain. End of the bad stretch(around 1-2km) is more uneven with many craters and had to drive at a speed of 10KM/hr.
Anoopscv is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 22:42   #1453
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I reached Kannur today morning and just wanted to update here that the bad stretch become more uneven because of the heavy rain. End of the bad stretch(around 1-2km) is more uneven with many craters and had to drive at a speed of 10KM/hr.
Thanks Anoop. Is there any damage in the ghat section specially few KMs after the Perumbadi checkpost and at the police outpost at Makkutta..?
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 08:45   #1454
BHPian
 
Anoopscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Thanks Anoop. Is there any damage in the ghat section specially few KMs after the Perumbadi checkpost and at the police outpost at Makkutta..?
No, that road is still in good condition. Towards Kannur, before Mele Chovva, there were 2-3 damaged spots.
Anoopscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 11:20   #1455
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 812
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I reached Kannur today morning and just wanted to update here that the bad stretch become more uneven because of the heavy rain. End of the bad stretch(around 1-2km) is more uneven with many craters and had to drive at a speed of 10KM/hr.
Can somebody who travelled on both routes (direct & periyapatna) give a comparison of both? I went through old posts and there are conflicting reports about the conditions.. thanks.

i am driving Bglr- Payyannur -kollur- bangalore on 8/8. So appreciate any road condition update for this complete route
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune-Bangalore-Mysore-Kannur-Bangalore ambivalent_98 Travelogues 4 17th November 2010 11:39
12 hours to do B'lore-Kannur-B'lore - Best Route? Steeroid Route / Travel Queries 38 7th January 2009 21:43
Bangalore Munnar-kannur-bangalore -1500kms Round Trip ad75 Travelogues 25 23rd April 2008 13:25
Travelogue - Bangalore - Mysore - Nagarhole - Kannur - Bangalore anainar Travelogues 10 16th January 2008 18:56
Bangalore Kannur route?? amitoj Shifting gears 23 27th May 2005 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks