Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd April 2015, 14:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
What I understand, I should take the Gulbarga - Jevargi route. But is NH9 really that bad? Also, would there be a problem if I want to cover the Hyd - Kolhapur stretch at night?
Why would you want to go North-West to Solapur and then South-West from there to Kolhapur.

Go west via Gulbarga-Bijapur.

Night drive should not be an issue as have never heard of any incidents but I cannot vouch for safety.

Please also read up Hyderabad-Mumbai and Hyderabad-Goa threads for more information on the Gulbarga route.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:17   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Kolhapur - Ganpatipulle - Tarkali - Goa

Thank you for the reply! I'm primarily concerned about the road condition in case of a night drive. The earlier posts hinted at bad stretches on the Gulbarga Bijapur route. And I was considering Solapur as it was the default route shown by Google maps and had NH9 for the most of the route.

If you could please advise on the Gulbarga road condition, I'd be much more confident on attempting the drive at night. I'm paranoid ever since getting stuck on extremely bad roads near Pratapgarh, where I took over 2 hours to cross a 30 km stretch at night.
lordavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 20:23   #18
BHPian

Completed the drive last night. Here's an update:

Route taken: http://goo.gl/bWBi5R

NH9 is a mess. Hyderabad to Humnabad road is broken in most places. Additionally lane widening work has created bottlenecks and diversions. Budget 2 - 2.5 hours if you are careful with your car. Dense vehicular traffic means that progress at night is slow, and I shudder to think what day traffic would be like.

Roads improve visibly on the Humnabad - Gulbarga - Jevargi stretch. It's an undivided carriageway for the most part, however the top surface is smooth, and there are sweeping curves all through the road. One word of caution, this road is lonely at night. I found only three petrol pumps open and none of them were accepting cards. On the other hand, if you are like me and like driving on lonely stretches, you are going to love this part of the drive - especially with those curves!

Jevargi to Bijapur is strictly average. Undivided carriageway for the most part. Straight roads with minimal to average traffic. There are three big petrol pumps which are open, with the first one being about 20 kms from Jevargi.

Bijapur to Athani-Miraj and on to Kohlapur is dotted by rumble strips. Especially during the first 5 kms. I did this stretch early morning. Since the areas are densely populated, I'm guessing day progress would be slow.

Caution: If you are using Nokia maps, it will ask you to take a right on the otherwise straight Athani Miraj route! Don't! This will lead you away from the new highway and onto a road which would not have been out of place in an obstacle course! After tackling that, I am now confident of doing the Leh-Ladakh trip in my Spark!

Miraj to Kohlapur is below average, because of the lane widening work going on. Densely populated areas add to the woe. Expect average speeds of 30 - 40 kmph if you do this later than 9 am.
lordavenger is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Default Hyderabad - Kolhapur

What is the current best route from Hyderabad to Kolhapur.

Previously I drove onwards twice through this route - Hyderabad - Humnabad - Omerga - Solapur - Mohol - Pandharpur - Sangola - Miraj - Kolhapur.
On return journey drove thrice through this route - Kolhapur - Miraj - Sangola - Mangalwedha - Solapur - Omerga - Humnabad - Hyderabad.

Both were done over 4 years back.
So not sure about current best route and conditions.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 13:00   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Kolhapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
What is the current best route from Hyderabad to Kolhapur.
Hyderabad - Chevella - Manneguda - Pargi - Kodangal - Ripponpalli - Sedam - Gulbarga - Jevargi - Bijapur - Athani - Miraj - Kolhapur
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 19:15   #21
BHPian

Thank you hyd_traveller.

Kind of inclined towards doing this route -
Hyderabad - Humnabad - Omerga - Solapur - Mangalwedha - Sangola - Miraj - Kolhapur

Anyone who has done this route recently, how are the conditions.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote