Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd April 2015, 14:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
What I understand, I should take the Gulbarga - Jevargi route. But is NH9 really that bad? Also, would there be a problem if I want to cover the Hyd - Kolhapur stretch at night?
Why would you want to go North-West to Solapur and then South-West from there to Kolhapur.

Go west via Gulbarga-Bijapur.

Night drive should not be an issue as have never heard of any incidents but I cannot vouch for safety.

Please also read up Hyderabad-Mumbai and Hyderabad-Goa threads for more information on the Gulbarga route.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:17   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Kolhapur - Ganpatipulle - Tarkali - Goa

Thank you for the reply! I'm primarily concerned about the road condition in case of a night drive. The earlier posts hinted at bad stretches on the Gulbarga Bijapur route. And I was considering Solapur as it was the default route shown by Google maps and had NH9 for the most of the route.

If you could please advise on the Gulbarga road condition, I'd be much more confident on attempting the drive at night. I'm paranoid ever since getting stuck on extremely bad roads near Pratapgarh, where I took over 2 hours to cross a 30 km stretch at night.
lordavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 20:23   #18
BHPian

Completed the drive last night. Here's an update:

Route taken: http://goo.gl/bWBi5R

NH9 is a mess. Hyderabad to Humnabad road is broken in most places. Additionally lane widening work has created bottlenecks and diversions. Budget 2 - 2.5 hours if you are careful with your car. Dense vehicular traffic means that progress at night is slow, and I shudder to think what day traffic would be like.

Roads improve visibly on the Humnabad - Gulbarga - Jevargi stretch. It's an undivided carriageway for the most part, however the top surface is smooth, and there are sweeping curves all through the road. One word of caution, this road is lonely at night. I found only three petrol pumps open and none of them were accepting cards. On the other hand, if you are like me and like driving on lonely stretches, you are going to love this part of the drive - especially with those curves!

Jevargi to Bijapur is strictly average. Undivided carriageway for the most part. Straight roads with minimal to average traffic. There are three big petrol pumps which are open, with the first one being about 20 kms from Jevargi.

Bijapur to Athani-Miraj and on to Kohlapur is dotted by rumble strips. Especially during the first 5 kms. I did this stretch early morning. Since the areas are densely populated, I'm guessing day progress would be slow.

Caution: If you are using Nokia maps, it will ask you to take a right on the otherwise straight Athani Miraj route! Don't! This will lead you away from the new highway and onto a road which would not have been out of place in an obstacle course! After tackling that, I am now confident of doing the Leh-Ladakh trip in my Spark!

Miraj to Kohlapur is below average, because of the lane widening work going on. Densely populated areas add to the woe. Expect average speeds of 30 - 40 kmph if you do this later than 9 am.
lordavenger is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Default Hyderabad - Kolhapur

What is the current best route from Hyderabad to Kolhapur.

Previously I drove onwards twice through this route - Hyderabad - Humnabad - Omerga - Solapur - Mohol - Pandharpur - Sangola - Miraj - Kolhapur.
On return journey drove thrice through this route - Kolhapur - Miraj - Sangola - Mangalwedha - Solapur - Omerga - Humnabad - Hyderabad.

Both were done over 4 years back.
So not sure about current best route and conditions.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 13:00   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Kolhapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
What is the current best route from Hyderabad to Kolhapur.
Hyderabad - Chevella - Manneguda - Pargi - Kodangal - Ripponpalli - Sedam - Gulbarga - Jevargi - Bijapur - Athani - Miraj - Kolhapur
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 19:15   #21
BHPian

Thank you hyd_traveller.

Kind of inclined towards doing this route -
Hyderabad - Humnabad - Omerga - Solapur - Mangalwedha - Sangola - Miraj - Kolhapur

Anyone who has done this route recently, how are the conditions.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:06   #22
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. I am specifically looking for suggestions for route/itinerary from Hyderabad. My tentative itinerary is Hyderabad -> Kolhapur-> Ganpati Phule -> Ratnagiri-> Malvan-> Amboli ->Belgavi -> Hyderabad. Any inputs/suggestions will be appreciated.
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 19:35   #23
BHPian

Sometimes in near future, planning to do Pune - Kolhapur - Hyderabad and return. While Pune Kolhapur Pune is rather straightforward, need some updates and pointers on Kolhapur - Hyderabad section.

Planning to cover the distance with stopover.
Does Solapur seems best option distance and facilities wise?
Is there any better option?

I can drive 9-10 hrs at a stretch. However more fun is just 5-6 hrs and use stop overs to refresh. I have kind of stopped such long drives since daughter was born.

Gonna stay at a hotel in Banjara Hills area. How much of city drive does that include. I mean from entry into Hyderabad upto Banjara hills.

How much of toll is expected one way?
Does MH regd car invite special attention of AP traffic police and what else other than License-RC-PUC and insurance would be required.

Thanks in advance.
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 12:24   #24

We are going to drive Pune - Hyderabad - Kolhapur during the Christmas weekend. While going from Pune, we will be staying in Uppal. While starting for Kolhapur, we will be starting from Gachibowli area.
We will be travelling with our 2.5 years old daughter, what will be the best place for a night halt except Solapur?

I also have the same questions as Sindbad.sailor

Does MH regd car invite special attention of AP traffic police and what else other than License-RC-PUC and insurance would be required?
binil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 13:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binil View Post
Does MH regd car invite special attention of AP traffic police and what else other than License-RC-PUC and insurance would be required?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Does MH regd car invite special attention of AP traffic police and what else other than License-RC-PUC and insurance would be required.
I think you meant Telangana and not AP.
You do not need any additional papers as long as you have the License, RC, PUC and Insurance papers and is a private vehicle.

I am not sure about the total Toll amount since I did this stretch more than 3 years back and the road conditions were a mess with road widening going on in most of the places. Not sure if the road work has completed now.
get2bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 15:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Sometimes in near future, planning to do Pune - Kolhapur - Hyderabad and return. While Pune Kolhapur Pune is rather straightforward, need some updates and pointers on Kolhapur - Hyderabad section.

Planning to cover the distance with stopover.
Does Solapur seems best option distance and facilities wise?
Is there any better option?

I can drive 9-10 hrs at a stretch. However more fun is just 5-6 hrs and use stop overs to refresh. I have kind of stopped such long drives since daughter was born.

Gonna stay at a hotel in Banjara Hills area. How much of city drive does that include. I mean from entry into Hyderabad upto Banjara hills.

Thanks in advance.
Kolhapur-Miraj-Athani-Bijapur-Gulbarga-Sedam-Pargi-Hyderabad.
Stopover can be Bijapur else Gulbarga.
Hyderabad Entry : Moinabad-Chilkur-Go under ORR-Langar Houz-Nanal Nagar-Mehdipatnam-Masab Tank-Banjara Hills. In peak hour in the evening on a working day, from under the ORR to Banjara Hills might take you an hour or even 90 minutes.
from Gulbarga to Sedam and upto TS border is a tolled road. Not sure whether any other stretch is tolled.
Keep the fuel bills, toll bills, food bills, hotel bills and cops in TS or Hyderabad will not trouble you. Of course, assuming that you will not break any rules here.
Quote:
We are going to drive Pune - Hyderabad - Kolhapur during the Christmas weekend. While going from Pune, we will be staying in Uppal. While starting for Kolhapur, we will be starting from Gachibowli area.
We will be travelling with our 2.5 years old daughter, what will be the best place for a night halt except Solapur?

I also have the same questions as Sindbad.sailor

I would suggest the route in reverse to what I have suggested to sindabad.sailor.
From Gachibowli, take the ORR till TSPA exit, and get onto the Chevalla/Vikarabad Highway. Go till Manneguda and turn left (straight goes to Vikarabad). Go till Pargi and turn right towards Kodangal. Go straight after Kodangal for 10km and turn right onto Sedam road (don't miss this turn after 10 km). Do not follow google maps else you will end off-roading or going through village roads, just go via Gulbarga. Sedam - Gulbarga (bye-pass available) - Jevargi - Sindagi - Bijapur (bye-pass available) - Athani - Miraj - Kolhapur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
I think you meant Telangana and not AP.
You do not need any additional papers as long as you have the License, RC, PUC and Insurance papers and is a private vehicle.

I am not sure about the total Toll amount since I did this stretch more than 3 years back and the road conditions were a mess with road widening going on in most of the places. Not sure if the road work has completed now.
You bet, Telangana State is different than Andhra Pradesh.
The Pune - Hyderabad thread has details of tolls, if using that route (via Solapur), and also latest updates on road conditions.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 17:42   #27

Thanks Hyd_traveller for the info. It will be our first journey on this route, so concerned. While I found lot of info about Pune - Hyderabad route, there's not much info on the Hyd - Kolhapur part.

Any idea about recent road condition of Jevargi - Sindagi - Bijapur (bye-pass available) - Athani - Miraj - Kolhapur route?
Old 12th December 2017, 19:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hyd_traveller for the info. It will be our first journey on this route, so concerned. While I found lot of info about Pune - Hyderabad route, there's not much info on the Hyd - Kolhapur part.

Any idea about recent road condition of Jevargi - Sindagi - Bijapur (bye-pass available) - Athani - Miraj - Kolhapur route?
Check Hyderabad - Goa thread for Hyderabad - Bijapur sector.
Bijapur - Athani - Miraj, no idea.
Miraj - Kolhapur has to be good since Miraj & Sangli are twin towns and Sangli - Kolhapur is a very important road with city like traffic.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 13:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Budget for a 10-11hr drive to Kolhapur. If you want to stay somewhere enroute, Bijapur is the only option,but there are hardly any good places. Pearl is an average place to stay, but I would suggest start early from Gachibowli and would easily make it to Kolhapur by early evening. If you think you must do a stopover, then go via Solapur would be my suggestion. From Solapur, take the Solapur-Mangalwedha-Sangole Circle-Miraj-Kolhapur. Solapur-Kolhapur would take you about 5 hours.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th December 2017 at 15:06. Reason: Please use space after each sentence break and punctuation marks. Helps with readability. Thanks.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 14:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Budget for a 10-11hr drive to Kolhapur.
========
From Solapur,take the Solapur-Mangalwedha-Sangole Circle-Miraj-Kolhapur.Solapur-Kolhapur would take you about 5 hours.
Thanks Ranjit. We intend to cover in a day, but keeping our options open in case we are unable to start early.