Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th August 2013, 18:26   #1

Smile Route suggestions from South Goa to Velankanni

Hi Guys,

My extended family is considering a roadtrip from South Goa to Velankanni, TN in the 3rd week of August.

I would like to know all route suggestions & current/recent road conditions.

Is it even a wise idea to drive down at this time of the year due to the monsoons?

Thanks for all the help

ChoosetoCruze
ChoosetoCruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 16:47   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Route suggestions from South Goa to Velankanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
My extended family is considering a roadtrip from South Goa to Velankanni, TN in the 3rd week of August.

I would like to know all route suggestions & current/recent road conditions.

Is it even a wise idea to drive down at this time of the year due to the monsoons?
For the route, it would be simplest to break it down to Goa-Bangalore and Bangalore-Velankanni.
For this you can take Goa-Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore (NH4 from Hubli) or Goa-Karwar-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-Arsikere-Tumkur-Bangalore (NH206 for Sagar-Tumkur)
If you don't have plans to stay over in Bangalore you can easily bypass using NICE Road to get you from Tumkur Road (NH4) to Hosur Road (NH7) - end to end on NICE Road for this bypass.

Then, for Bangalore-Velankanni you can refer to this thread that has more current information - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ankanni-5.html
Not sure about monsoons in southeast parts this time of the year.

Last edited by NPV : 8th August 2013 at 17:00.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 17:45   #3

Default Re: Route suggestions from South Goa to Velankanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For the route, it would be simplest to break it down to Goa-Bangalore and Bangalore-Velankanni.
For this you can take Goa-Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore (NH4 from Hubli) or Goa-Karwar-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-Arsikere-Tumkur-Bangalore (NH206 for Sagar-Tumkur)
If you don't have plans to stay over in Bangalore you can easily bypass using NICE Road to get you from Tumkur Road (NH4) to Hosur Road (NH7) - end to end on NICE Road for this bypass.

Then, for Bangalore-Velankanni you can refer to this thread that has more current information - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ankanni-5.html
Not sure about monsoons in southeast parts this time of the year.
Thanks for your reply NPV!

Yes, I too thought it might be a good idea to break the trip down to 2 days & stopover in Bangalore.

Thanks for the tip for Bangalore - Velankanni! Much appreciated.

Also, what if I join NH4 at Dharwad using NH4A from Goa? Would it make any difference? Although I guess taking NH17 until Karwar would be a lot more scenic. I'd like to get on NH4 as quickly as possible for obvious reasons of there being the safety of a road divider..

Also, just as a 'good to know', is it realistically possible to reach Velankanni on the same evening/night from Goa if the time of departure is around 4 or 5am?
ChoosetoCruze is offline   Reply With Quote