Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th August 2013, 17:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Gujarat tour in October (from BLR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Devaliya!

Sorry, I think there is a confusion. Geeta Mandir and Bhalka Tirth are in two different places. For Geeta Mandir, drive towards the Somnath mandir and at the barricade tell the policeman that you need to go to Geeta Mandir. Geeta Mandir is on the left. About a KM from Somnath mandir.

Bhalka Tirth is somewhere between Somnath and Veraval. About 5-6 kms from Somnath mandir.

IIRC, Bhalka tirth is the place where ShriKrishna was hit by the stray arrow and Geeta Mandir is the place where he eventually passed away.
My bad, I messed up the names. Thank you for correcting. It's Geeta Mandir which has 4-5 different key points (as per local guides) inside the complex. It's very close to the Triveni sangam. Quite a peaceful place if one goes early in the morning. I guess that's why I forgot the names, my brain doesn't register names till 11'o clock.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 18:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries

I would take that suggestion and avoid the shorter Ahmedabad to Diu route.

Devaliya safari, sounds more like a Bannerghatta National park Safari here in Bangalore. Which is a hybrid of natural surrounding in a large allocated area for a specie, where sighting is more or less assured.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 02:37   #18
BHPian

ST,I did a BLR-Gujarat trip sometime back in a fully loaded Civic.Hope some part of the thread below is useful for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...onal-park.html (Bangalore to Gir National Park)

Cheers.
Ramanak
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 03:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
2. Again Gir Safari, will take more than a day and with no surety of seeing lions, limits on safari audience, dust, etc. Also it opens only in second half of Oct. I decided to give it a pass
May be this will change your mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries-sg.jpg  

ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 18:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
2nd Oct, Wed –Bangalore to Mumbai (1000km, 15 hrs drive) – I have done 1000km in a day earlier, though on a different route
With the current condition of NH17 or NH4 it took me almost 15 hours to reach Mumbai from Mapusa via NH4, a distance of little more than 500kms just last week, so Bangalore to Mumbai in 15 hours does not seem feasible or possible, just my 2 cents.
ssadwelkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 22:57   #21
BHPian

Welcome to Gujarat and wish you a happy car trip. I have included a few suggestions:

2nd Oct, Wed –Bangalore to Mumbai (1000km, 15 hrs drive) – I have done 1000km in a day earlier, though on a different route

** This should be not too difficult and doable.
3rd – 8th Oct – In Mumbai with relatives

9th Oct, Wed - Mumbai to Ahmedabad (530km, 7 hours)
Visit Akshardham Temple

** A quick drive around Daman on the way to Ahmedabad would be worth it. Also you can combine Adalaj step well with Akshardham on the same day. Expect a major traffic jam in Bharuch, so it would be a good idea to drive to the town using the old Golden bridge. Try the Vadodara-Ahmedabad express highway.

10th Oct, Thu – around Ahmedabad
Visit - Rudabai ne vav @ Patan (step well), Sahastra linga Lake, a Patola Family, Sun Temple @ Mudhera, Rudabai ne vav @ Adalaj (Step well)

** The lady would like to visit the Patola saree units in Patan, this is worth a visit. Adalaj can be combined with Akshardham.

11th Oct, Fri – In Ahmedabad
Visit - Sabarmati Ashram, Kankaria Lake

** The Calico museum next to the Shahibaug underbridge is worth a visit. However, check out the entry times as they are very selective and only about 50 are allowed to visit.

12th Oct, Sat – Ahmedabad - Velavadar (Black Buck) National park - Diu – Somnath (470km, 9.5hrs drive)
Visit Blackbuck National park (1 hr), Diu (2 hrs, incl lunch break), Somnath temple

** As mentioned by others, Diu is a good place to stay overnight. You can also drive through the Gir forest through Amreli and exit on the Gondal side. Ahmedabad-Rajkot-Jamnagar-Dwarka is a very good trip. On the return you can visit Somnath and Diu.

13th Oct, Sun – Somnath - Dwarka (230km, 4.5 hrs)
Visit Dwarkadheesh Mandir, Nageshwar Temple, Mul Dwarka, Bet Dwarka

14th Oct, Mon – Dwarka – Narera NP – Bhuj (640km, 12.5 hrs)
Visit Marine Narera National Park (2hrs?)

15th Oct, Tue – Bhuj to Dhorodo (80km, 1.5 hrs)
Visit Shree Swaminarayan Temple (Bhuj), Great Rann of Kutch, Kalo Dunger
Full moon in on 18th October, so I am 3 days ahead :(

** Mandvi beach about 55 km from Bhuj is a nice place to visit. Also Lakhpat, which has an old fort and is very close to the border. If you have an extra day, it would be worth visiting Dholavera, which is an ancient town.

16th Oct, Wed – Dhorodo to Vadodra (510km, 9 hours)

** How about Dholavira to Vadodara?

17th Oct, Thu – Vadodra to Mumbai (420km, 7 hours)
Visit Laxmi Vilas Palace (4 hrs) and then continue to Mumbai

18th Oct, Fri – Rest in Mumbai

19th Oct, Sat– Mumbai to Bangalore (1000km, 15 hrs)

Few Specific questions:
1. Is October good time to visit GRK? It has rained heavily this year, and most of the area might be under water...

** You will be driving through a raised road through GRK on the way to Bhuj. You can expect some waterlogging, due to the heavy rains this year, even now it is raining.
2. If I am visiting GRK, is a separate LRK visit worth? If yes, do I stay one more day in Ahmedabad and do Little Runn from there with Ahmadabad as night base?

** GRK and LRK are desolate places with salty water and no features. Once you drive inside, you are likely to lose your sense of direction. Mirages are commonly seen. The wild ass and the nilgai as well as migratory birds can be seen. However, the topography is very muddy after the rain and vehicles can get stuck.
3. I may not be doing a second trip to Gujarat, so have I covered all important tourist destinations?

** You have missed Dholavira, Saputara (the lone hillstation), Sardar Sarovar dam, Dangs district (forested), Gir forest.
4. Is Lothal worth a visit to see Harrappa valley civilization excavations, while returning from Dhorodo to Vadodra?

** Lothal is worth a visit for a couple of hours, you can visit the site and also a small museum maintained by the archeological survey of India.
5. Is Sardar Sarovar Dam worth a visit on way back from Vadodra to Mumbai?

** Yes, if you have some spare time, otherwise it is like any other large dam.
6. Navaratra is starting from 5th Oct, what possible issues I may face due to that? Too much crowd at any of the temples, change in temple closure timings, etc.

** You should not miss seeing the Garba dance which generally starts at 10pm and goes on till midnight. It is a beautiful event. Otherwise there is no problem during this time.

Caution:

Do not forget to stick a 1 inch wide yellow tape vertically on the left side headlight. This is mandatory in Gujarat and all outstation vehicles are easy prey for cops.

Wish you a wonderful car trip.

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 18:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
** A quick drive around Daman on the way to Ahmedabad would be worth it.

** As mentioned by others, Diu is a good place to stay overnight.

**If you have an extra day, it would be worth visiting Dholavera, which is an ancient town.
Q- As suggested I will include Daman on way from Mumbai to Ahmedabad. What should I plan to cover there and how much time to spend (min)?

Q - Will stopover at Diu (instead of Somnath), so will be reaching around 6pm and leaving around 8am. How to best spend this time? Is it worth? I don't want to add a day here (adding one below)

Q - Adding a night stay at Dholavera
From Dhordo (11am to Dholavera (5pm).
Night stay at Dholavera (where?)
leave for Vadodra around 12pm.
How to best spend this time?

Few Specific questions:
1. Is October good time to visit GRK? It has rained heavily this year, and most of the area might be under water...
I meant to ask will I be able to see the Runn Dry or will it still be flooded. If it is dry, will it be dry enough to drive in certain part?

2. On day 2 (Around Ahmedabad). Can I add Zainabad?
i.e. with Ahmadabad as base cover - Zainabad -> Sun Temple (Modhera) -> Step Well (Patan) -> Shasatra linga lake -> Patola family visit -> back to Ahmedabad in one day?
if yes, what all can be done at Zainabad and how much time to spend?

Last edited by ST7677 : 12th August 2013 at 18:27.
Old 12th August 2013, 19:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Devaliya!

Sorry, I think there is a confusion. Geeta Mandir and Bhalka Tirth are in two different places. For Geeta Mandir, drive towards the Somnath mandir and at the barricade tell the policeman that you need to go to Geeta Mandir. Geeta Mandir is on the left. About a KM from Somnath mandir.

Bhalka Tirth is somewhere between Somnath and Veraval. About 5-6 kms from Somnath mandir.

IIRC, Bhalka tirth is the place where ShriKrishna was hit by the stray arrow and Geeta Mandir is the place where he eventually passed away.

Bhalka Teerth is the place where a hunter shot an arrow at Lord Krishna( who was resting on a tree) mistaking him for a bird/animal, injuring him mortally. From there, Lord Krishna walked upto a spot, what today is Geeta Mandir, from where he moved onto to the other world.

ST667, the route from Diu to Somnath to Veraval will in shambles after rains, as it always is after rains. When I used to stay in Veraval, we used to make two-three trips in an year to Diu. The road would always get damaged after rains, partly because all container trailers from fisheries factories in Veraval and Porbandar ply on this route to Pipavav port. Try avoid making the trip from Diu to Somnath at late evening or night. It ill take a minimum of two hours to cover Diu to Somnath( approx 85 kms). In Diu, do try to visit the INS Khukri memorial.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 23:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

OK, here is the new plan after hearing everyone, it is bigger and more ambitious now...

Day 0 - Bangalore to Mumbai

Day 1 – Mumbai to Ahmedabad (Via Daman) – leave at 4am, Reach at 12pm.

Daman – take 1 hr break in route

Rudabai ne vav @ Adalaj – spend 2 hrs.

Swaminarayan Akshardham temple – reach by 3pm and spend half a day min.

Day 2 – In Ahmedabad

Sabarmati Ashram

Calico Museum

Kankaria Lake – Half day to full day - to relax with kids.

Day 3 – Ahmedabad – Narera NP – Dwarka (475km, 8 hrs)

Marine Narera National Park – leave Ahmedabad at 4am, reach Narara by 10am (low tide at 10:20am). Spend 3 hrs

Dwarkadheesh/ Jagad Mandir.

Nageshwar Temple

Mul Dwarka

Bet Dwarka

Day 4 – Dwarka to Somnath to Diu (310km, 6.5 hrs)

Madhavpur beach – 1 hr break

Somnath

Somnath to Diu – 80km – 2 hrs

Ghogla beach

Gangeshwar Temple

Diu Fort – (2-3 hrs)

Day 5 – Diu to Bhuj (450km, 9 hrs)

Shree Swaminarayan Temple

Day 6 – Around Bhuj – -> Lakhpat Fort -> Narayan Sarovar + Koteshwar –> Lala Bustard Sanctuary (optional) -> Mandovi beach – Bhuj (total 365km – 7 hrs drive)
This day is tentative

Day 7 – Bhuj to Dhorodo – 80km, 2 hrs. 10am to 12:00am

Aina Mahal

Stay at Dhorodo

Rann of Kutch

Day 8 – Dhorodo to Dholavira – 300km – 6 hours – 10:00 to 16:00

Dholavira

Day 9 - Dholavira to Patan – Mehsana - Ahmedabad (360km, 6.5hrs)

Sun Temple @ Mudhera – spend 1.5 hour.

Rudabai ne vav @ Patan (step well) – Visiting time required: 1 hr

Sahastra linga Lake

Visit to a Patola Family

Day 10 - Ahmedabad – Little Runn of Kutch and Back – 200km (4 hrs)

Little Runn of Kutch (Zainabad/Dhrangadhra) spend half day

Day 11 – Ahmedabad – Vadodra (110km, 2hrs) – Sardar Sarovar Dam (95km, 1.5hrs) – Mumbai (420km, 7 hrs). total 625km, 10.5 hrs

Laxmi Vilas Palace spend 4 hours

Sursagar Lake

Sardar Sarovar Dam

Reach Mumbai
rest for a day and
Return to Bangalore

Last edited by ST7677 : 14th August 2013 at 00:00.
ST7677 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 00:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
OK, here is the new plan after hearing everyone, it is bigger and more ambitious now...

Hi ST7677,

I hope you won't mind if I copy your plan of this trip whenever I plan to go to Gujarat . I'm keeping a close eye on your itinerary and all the comments/travelogues which you are getting as that would really help me plan a trip to Gujarat.

Since, I'm also living in Bangalore and also have lot of desire to go to Gujarat and I also have the same concern that since Gujarat is quite far from Bangalore doing smaller trips can be a bit difficult.

So, even if you have to extend the trip for a few more days and you can cover most of the places then I suppose that's acceptable.

I really wish you a good, safe and a memorable journey to Gujarat. And please add a travelogue whenever you are free after you have done this wonderful trip.

Thanks,
Pallav
gurha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 05:57   #26
v&v
Senior - BHPian

ST,
Day-3 is tight.

Narara will take toll. One has to walk more than 5-7 kms exploring. Even you leave by 1.30, you will reach Dwarka by 3-330. So better spend time at Dwarkadish on that evening. Bet Dwarka is about 30 kms, Nageshwar is 18 kms from Dwarka. There is a route from Nageshwar to Bet Dwarka. That route was bad when we did the trip. All three is not possible in a day. You will require day -4 first half too.

Same way Day - 6 is tight, You might want to omit some sites otherwise you will
end-up only driving.

Rest all seems OK and doable.
This is turning to be a one real big road trip.

cheers
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 11:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
ST,
Day-3 is tight.

Narara will take toll. One has to walk more than 5-7 kms exploring. Even you leave by 1.30, you will reach Dwarka by 3-330. So better spend time at Dwarkadish on that evening. Bet Dwarka is about 30 kms, Nageshwar is 18 kms from Dwarka. There is a route from Nageshwar to Bet Dwarka. That route was bad when we did the trip. All three is not possible in a day. You will require day -4 first half too.

Same way Day - 6 is tight, You might want to omit some sites otherwise you will
end-up only driving.

Rest all seems OK and doable.
This is turning to be a one real big road trip.

cheers
ok, I will keep Bet Dwarka - optional (if time permits)

Just realized Mul Dwarka is between Somnath and Diu, near Kodinar, as shown by google maps. I can then move this to Day 4.

Same with day 6 - The whole day is optional. It's pretty much middle of the tour, we would have covered more than 3000km by now. If family wants a break then I will drop this day completely and take rest in Bhuj. If they are enthu, then we will go...
That's the best part in self drive tours, as long as accommodation is planned properly, we can do whatever we want
Thanks for your inputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha
I hope you won't mind if I copy your plan of this trip whenever I plan to go to Gujarat . I'm keeping a close eye on your itinerary and all the comments/travelogues which you are getting as that would really help me plan a trip to Gujarat.
Sure Gurha, please do so. There has been so much reading and planning that has gone into this, I will be very happy if others also can make use of the same.
One word of advice though - my tour routing is planned based on spending Full moon night around GRK and low tide time at Narara. So you need to adjust your route and time for these locations accordingly.
I had to make significant change from 1st post to the last post to accommodate above as far as possible.

Last edited by ST7677 : 14th August 2013 at 11:36.
ST7677 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 12:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin
** As mentioned by others, Diu is a good place to stay overnight. You can also drive through the Gir forest through Amreli and exit on the Gondal side. Ahmedabad-Rajkot-Jamnagar-Dwarka is a very good trip. On the return you can visit Somnath and Diu.
On Day 5, I am now doing Diu to Bhuj. What is the best route to go from Diu to Gondal?
Google map shows a straight route Diu - UNA - Dhari - Bagasara - Kunkavav - Gondal.

Also can you share your thoughts on Post 24. I have included many of your suggestions.
Old 19th August 2013, 09:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
On Day 5, I am now doing Diu to Bhuj. What is the best route to go from Diu to Gondal?
Google map shows a straight route Diu - UNA - Dhari - Bagasara - Kunkavav - Gondal.
I am not sure how bad these roads are, specially after rains. The other way to reach Gondal from Diu would be via Veraval-Junagadh, but it would be longer(approx 230 kms). Roads should be in better condition on this route.

Diu-Veraval-Keshod-Junagadh-Jetpur-Gondal
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 14:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
ST,
Day-3 is tight.

Bet Dwarka is about 30 kms, Nageshwar is 18 kms from Dwarka. There is a route from Nageshwar to Bet Dwarka. That route was bad when we did the trip.
The route from Nageshwar to Bet Dwarka, goes from behind the tata chemicals factory. (If IIRC) The road is bad, but on a plus point, there are small ponds on this road which allowed us to view a lot of those colourful migratory birds.
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote