Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th November 2013, 17:06   #1
BHPian

Default Getaways in & around Mayiladuthurai

Hello BHP-ians,

I am driving down to Thirukadaiyur with a group of cousins to attend a family event( a small town , 22 kms to the east of Mayiladuthurai) in the last week of November. I will be starting from Bangalore early in the morning on Nov 28. There is a family function on the 28th & the 29th. After that , I have the entire weekend at my disposal.Are there any good tourist spots around Mayiladuthurai where I can put my feet up & chill for a couple of days? Apart from the Pichavaram Mangrove Reserve(60 kms from Thirukadaiyur) I could not find any other place that interested me. I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some pointers.

I plan to take the following route

Bangalore-> Krishnagiri-> Salem-> Chidambaram-> Thirukadaiyur.

I am familiar with the roads upto Salem. How is the road from Salem? I dont think it is a National Highway. Is the road motorable? Any points that I must keep in mind while taking this route?
satishv1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 18:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Getaways in & around Mayiladuthurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Are there any good tourist spots around Mayiladuthurai where I can put my feet up & chill for a couple of days? Apart from the Pichavaram Mangrove Reserve(60 kms from Thirukadaiyur) I could not find any other place that interested me. I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some pointers.
The Chidambaram Natraja temple is a sight worth visiting. On the way back you come via Tanjore/Trichy and visit the temple Tanjore. Even if you are not a temple guy, the structure is a sight to behold.
And of course you have the church at Velankanni.

Quote:
Bangalore-> Krishnagiri-> Salem-> Chidambaram-> Thirukadaiyur.
I am familiar with the roads upto Salem. How is the road from Salem? I dont think it is a National Highway. Is the road motorable? Any points that I must keep in mind while taking this route?
- Almost complete 4-lane till Ulundurpet.
- Very good roads till Vridhachalam
- Traffic increases from there on via Sethyarthope, Chidambaram, Sirkazhi, Mayavaram

Last edited by ampere : 5th November 2013 at 18:55.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 22:58   #3
BHPian

Satish,

you can also visit Tranquebar ( Tharangambadi) which is just 10 to 15 KM where you have small fort and beach with resort and if you further interested you can speak to the fishermen who will take you to sea for a charge.
soarer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 00:22   #4
BHPian

Satish, What is it that you are looking for? how far/ how many hours are can you travel?

If you are on a temple run, you have plenty around there. If you want peace and quiet you can do kodikarai/vedaranyam/point calimere. If you can go a little further then you have rameshwaram.
YaeJay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 08:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Satish, What is it that you are looking for? how far/ how many hours are can you travel?

If you are on a temple run, you have plenty around there. If you want peace and quiet you can do kodikarai/vedaranyam/point calimere. If you can go a little further then you have rameshwaram.
Rameshwaram would be a bit too far. But Kodikarai/vedaranyam and Tranquebaar are good options.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 12:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Chidambaram Natraja temple is a sight worth visiting. On the way back you come via Tanjore/Trichy and visit the temple Tanjore. Even if you are not a temple guy, the structure is a sight to behold.
And of course you have the church at Velankanni.
Thanks ampere. Not really the religious kind. But I have heard a lot about the Tanjore temple's architecture. Will try to fit that in somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
Satish,

you can also visit Tranquebar ( Tharangambadi) which is just 10 to 15 KM where you have small fort and beach with resort and if you further interested you can speak to the fishermen who will take you to sea for a charge.
Just looked it up on the internet & it seems to fit my requirement to the T.Is the sea rough? I've heard that the Poompuhar beach has very rough seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post

Not looking to spend too much time driving. Any place which is an hour's drive from Thirukadaiyur will be ideal
satishv1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 18:19   #7
BHPian

Satish

You could try Gangai Konda Cholapuram, a part of the living Chola temples, an UNESCO monument. Though its a temple, I believe it would be pretty impressive. The Brihadeeshwara temple is a part of the same group. Some believe the sculptures are better in GKC.

Happy driving
us.dash is offline   Reply With Quote