Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th December 2013, 21:15   #1
BHPian

Question Aarupadai Veedu - Six Abodes of Lord Muruga: Route Enquiry

Hi,

Me and a friend of mine are planning to visit all the six abodes of lord Muruga in one trip. All though there are many other temples in these six towns we are interested in only these six temples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Abodes_of_Murugan

I live in Chennai (Near Vandalur),
My friend will come from Bangalore
My home town is Tuticorin (Thoothukudi).
We plan this trip next week during the Christmas holidays. 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 of Dec.

My plan is this.

Dec 24: I will Start from Chennai to Dindigul (via Vilupuram, Trichy).
My friend will take Tuticorin Express and Meet me at Dindigul
Dec 25: Dindigul to Pazhani (Palani), after worship head to Madurai and rest.
Dec 26: Visit Tirupparamkunram, Pazhamudircholai and head to my hometown Tuticorin.
Dec 27: Visit Thiruchendur, and head to Kumbakonam. Halt at Kumbakonam.
Dec 28: Visit Swamimalai, head to Chennai.
Dec 29: Head to Thiruthani. My friend could take train from Arakkonam to Bangalore and I could head back to Chennai.

Is this a feasible plan? How far or close Thiruparamkundram and Pazhamudircholai from Madurai? Could we squeeze a little more travel each day so we could finish in four days instead of five? I request you to provide suggestions and better plans. Many thanks in advance.
selvagp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Aarupadai Veedu - Six Abodes of Lord Muruga: Route Enquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Hi,

Me and a friend of mine are planning to visit all the six abodes of lord Muruga in one trip. All though there are many other temples in these six towns we are interested in only these six temples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Abodes_of_Murugan

I live in Chennai (Near Vandalur),
My friend will come from Bangalore
My home town is Tuticorin (Thoothukudi).
We plan this trip next week during the Christmas holidays. 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 of Dec.

My plan is this.

Dec 24: I will Start from Chennai to Dindigul (via Vilupuram, Trichy).
My friend will take Tuticorin Express and Meet me at Dindigul
Dec 25: Dindigul to Pazhani (Palani), after worship head to Madurai and rest.
Dec 26: Visit Tirupparamkunram, Pazhamudircholai and head to my hometown Tuticorin.
Dec 27: Visit Thiruchendur, and head to Kumbakonam. Halt at Kumbakonam.
Dec 28: Visit Swamimalai, head to Chennai.
Dec 29: Head to Thiruthani. My friend could take train from Arakkonam to Bangalore and I could head back to Chennai.

Is this a feasible plan? How far or close Thiruparamkundram and Pazhamudircholai from Madurai? Could we squeeze a little more travel each day so we could finish in four days instead of five? I request you to provide suggestions and better plans. Many thanks in advance.
Very much feasible.
Both Tiruparamkundram & Pazhamudirsolai are very close to Madurai (10-15 kms), but in different directions - the first can be covered on the way from MDU to Tuticorin

You can do the entire circuit in 3 days - excluding Tuticorin.

D0: Chennai-Dindigul
D1: Dindigul-Palani-Pazhamudirsolai-Tirupuramkundram-Tuticorin
D2: Tuticorin-Tiruchendur-Tuticorin-Ramanathapuram-Nagapattinam-Kumbakonam
D3: Kumbakonam-Swamimalai-Vridhachalam-Tindivanam-Kanchipuram-Arakonam-Tiruttani-Madras

However, expect heavy crowds at the temples, so delays could be possible. Moreover, bear in mind temple midday closing timings.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 06:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

HVK has already answered all of it. Its definitely possible. You just need to make sure that you can make it these temples when they are open. Either morning or evening. So you will have to time it accordingly. The timelines you have given are perfect. Can be executed easily and you also get ample rest in between.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 22:04   #4
BHPian

thank you both.. had a great trip..
this was my trip
Chennai - Dindigul - Pazhani - Pazhamuthircholai - Meenakshi Amman temple (attempted) - Thiruparamkundram - Tuticorin - Thiruchendur - Tuticorin - Rameshwaram - Trichy - Srirangam - Swamimalai Kumbakonam - Srirangam.

Part ways, my friend carried on to Chennai Thiruthani. Me, Trichy to Tuticorin and back to Chennai. All this in just four days. Almost 2500 kms. enjoyed every bit.

PS: Relied on google navigation for most part. it sometimes was too good but too bad at times. It sure takes you to the final destination, but it sure does not know what a "good" road is. Got to blame myself for the route selection than the navigator.
Old 29th December 2013, 22:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
PS: Relied on google navigation for most part. it sometimes was too good but too bad at times. It sure takes you to the final destination, but it sure does not know what a "good" road is. Got to blame myself for the route selection than the navigator.
Great to note you had a good trip. Most roads are arterial in these sections. You can't go wrong. I think roads around Kumbakonam are bad. Esp Tanjore-Kumbakonam. Is that what you are referring to?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 22:46   #6
BHPian

yes @ampere, Tanjur - Kumbakonam is bad. It has two routes, one, the normal one that everyone takes, the other one is via saligramam which is not popular but equally bad.
Also from Rameeshwaram to Trichy there were two routes. One is ECR. Other is Karaikudi, Devakottai. which I chose as the locals seemed to suggest. I missed some turns and was re-routed but bad roads.
Also, the google maps took me to No-No roads from Thiruparamkundram to Tuticorin.
It seems to suggest e the shortest distance to final destination but doesn't have any indication on the road condition.