Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th October 2016, 22:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bhopal to Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Jhansi-Gwalior section is very bad. Avoid, if possible.
If I do plan to visit Bhopal, how are the roads from Indore till Bhopal?

And what are the alternatives from there? Turn back from Bhopal or any alternate route?

Also, how is the traffic?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 23:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best route identified by Google Maps seems to be via Nashik all the way to Indore. Just before Indore, the road turns left towards Ratlam, Mandsaur onto Kishangarh, then to Jaipur and from there to Gurgaon.
Yes, this should be preferred route, via Bhopal it will be longer perhaps and surely road conditions are not good between Gwalior & beyond.

Quote:
Should I plan for an early morning start, reach and halt somewhere in MP, and then reach Delhi / Gurgaon the next day or plan for two nights' stay en route and target reaching Gurgaon/Delhi in broad daylight?
you can start in morning and stop somewhere close to Chittorgarh & start next day for Gurgaon/ Delhi. Try to reach Gurgaon by 9 Pm after which truck traffic will be very high

Quote:
how are the roads from Indore till Bhopal?
Indore - Bhopal is fast 4 lane highway, you can stop in the midway at MP Tourism hotel/resort. If you must visit Bhopal, then you can continue via Jhansi- Gwalior, I don't see any reasons for going back to Indore.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th October 2016 at 23:35.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 07:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If I do plan to visit Bhopal, how are the roads from Indore till Bhopal?
Superb 4/6 lane toll road between Bhopal and Indore via Dewas. I drove on this stretch in March 2016. The details are here (Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah).

Quote:
what are the alternatives from there? Turn back from Bhopal or any alternate route?
There are two other routes Bhopal>Vidisha>Shivpuri>Gwalior or Bhopal>Biaora>Guna>Shivpuri>Gwalior, which can be considered. But, I have not driven on those routes. Please enquire with the long-distance truck drivers near Bhopal and select the better route out of these two based on their recommendations.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th October 2016 at 08:13.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 08:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Would the recent rains have played havoc?

I won't be driving on this route often, so I may make a detour to Bhopal to meet someone. If I decide to carry on from there via Zhansi and Gwalior, how bad are the roads? Non existent? Pockmarked? Potholed? Slushy?
Old 16th October 2016, 08:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Would the recent rains have played havoc?
Yes, MP and RJ bore the brunt of the recent monsoon. However, many roads withstood the furious rains. During my recent ride from Jaipur to Nagpur, I wanted to try Kota>Jhalawar>Bhopal. When I enquired with a long-distance trucker at Kota, he advised me against riding on Kota>Jhalawar stretch as it was damaged due to rains. So, I rode via Kota>Shivpuri>Jhansi>Chhindwara>Nagpur, which was excellent 4-lane NH free from any damages, except within Kota town. Enquiries with the long-distance truck drivers will help you decide the better route.

Quote:
If I decide to carry on from there via Zhansi and Gwalior, how bad are the roads? Non existent? Pockmarked? Potholed? Slushy?
I rode Jhansi>Gwalior on 8 Sep 2016. Out of the four lanes, only two lanes were completed and open for traffic. So, one has to zig-zag through the umpteen deviations from one carriage way to the other on the pathetic potholed/cratered road. Add to that the evening peak hour traffic, cattle on the road, it is a total mess one would like to avoid. Thankfully, I did not return on that stretch again!
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 09:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I rode Jhansi>Gwalior on 8 Sep 2016. Out of the four lanes, only two lanes were completed and open for traffic. So, one has to zig-zag through the umpteen deviations from one carriage way to the other on the pathetic potholed/cratered road. Add to that the evening peak hour traffic, cattle on the road, it is a total mess one would like to avoid. Thankfully, I did not return on that stretch again!
Leave out the cattle and add two wheelers and it's like the NH4!

Good tip about truckers. Will remember that.
Old 16th October 2016, 18:51   #37

Hi,

I did MP by road in June 2016. I took the following routes:

LEG 1: Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur-Kishangarh-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Neemuch-Mandsaur-Ujjain-Indore...

I did cover this 900 kms in one day! I started at 5:30am from Dwarka (Delhi) and reached Indore (MG road) by 8:30pm.

I was driving alone to Indore. Roads were fantastic, only the Rajasthan toll booths were a headache as they were grossly mismanaged. I was initially apprehensive about MP road conditions, but they were in superlative condition. It was such a pleasant drive.

While coming back from Indore to Delhi, I took a somewhat different route:

LEG 2: Indore – Bhopal – vidisha – Sanchi stupas – Sagar – Bada Malhera – Chhatarpur – Khajuraho – Panna.

I took a 2 night’s halt at Khajuraho and apart from witnessing the beautiful temples, I also did Panna tiger reserve safari.
Road from Indore to Bada Malhera was excellent with 4 lane highways – however lack of road signge was a big problem. We had to continuously check google maps or ask the long distance truckers. After Bada Malhera, the moment we entered Bundelkhand region, it deteriorated extremely. Chattarpur to Khajuraho was good, but quite narrow. Khajuraho to Panna was extremely bad.
After two days in Khajuraho, we did the next leg:

LEG 3: Khajuraho – Chattarpur – Jhansi – Shivpuri

Till Jhansi it was Ok, crossing Jhansi was a nightmare. Jhansi to Shivpuri was a dream like 100km straight 4 lane highway… and probably the best views. We took a night’s halt at Shivpuri.
Our next leg was straight to Delhi

LEG 4: Shivpuri – Gwalior – Morena – Agra – Greater Noida – Delhi

Nightmarish roads till Gwalior…no roads at all… diversions every 500 mts, no signage… heavy traffic… once we approached Gwalior, it became worse and crossing Gwalior was again a big headache. Somehow did it and then managed till Agra… crossing Agra to take Yamuna expressway took 1.5 hrs…once we were on Yamuna expressway, it was a breeze. We drove steadily at 90kmph and that was a wise decision. We saw one santro crossing us with high speed and then after about 40 kms ahead, we crossed them, with their tyre burst.

All in all, drove about 2400 odd kms in this whole trip!
juggernaut1981 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote