Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 11:21   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Smile Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Hi Folks,

1. I plan to travel with my family from Ahemdabad to Gopalpur (Odisha) during mid-march.

2. I have several options to travel on the route:-

(a) Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Durg-Gopalpur : shortest, however dont know naxalite situation and stay options after Nagpur.

(b) Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur : Longer by about 400Km. Sounds better through big cities though it may be time consuming but better connected.

(c) Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-Lucknow-Allahabad-Ranchi-Gopalpur : Much longer.But in known territories.

3. I request the fellow BHPians to guide on the condition of roads, stay options, security situation and best route to take. I am open to more suggestions. Even inputs of a stretch on this road would be helpful.

4. I could not find any queries on this route. If anyone can point to a link that would be wonderful.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 14:38   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 270
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
(a) Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Durg-Gopalpur : shortest, however dont know naxalite situation and stay options after Nagpur.
lots of stay options in Nagpur, Nagpur->Durg/Raipur is 4 lane but dont go via Kanker/Jagdalpur due to maoist.
Better to continue on NH6 till Sambalpur->Cuttak then to gopalpur.
bad roads after raipur till sambalpur, Sambalpur cuttak is good.
less facilities on road after raipur. Suggest to take halt at nagpur, second at sambalpur.
shabahmad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 15:46   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Thanks Shabbir.

I did contemplate that route. But then its just shorter by about couple of hundred kms than the Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur route which I expect to be in much great conditions, though congested around the big cities.

I have four days to cover that distance and with family around want to take it easy.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 16:05   #4
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi Folks,

1. I plan to travel with my family from Ahemdabad to Gopalpur (Odisha) during mid-march.

2. I have several options to travel on the route:-

(a) Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Durg-Gopalpur : shortest, however dont know naxalite situation and stay options after Nagpur.

(b) Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur : Longer by about 400Km. Sounds better through big cities though it may be time consuming but better connected.

(c) Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-Lucknow-Allahabad-Ranchi-Gopalpur : Much longer.But in known territories.

3. I request the fellow BHPians to guide on the condition of roads, stay options, security situation and best route to take. I am open to more suggestions. Even inputs of a stretch on this road would be helpful.

4. I could not find any queries on this route. If anyone can point to a link that would be wonderful.
According to me the option (b) would be best though a little longer route. All along you would get good / excellent roads.

If you think of passing through Nagpur-Durg-Raipur, (as Shabbir has already said) plan to travel upto Sambalpur on NH6, then to Cuttack on NH42 and then through Bhubaneshwar to Gopalpur on NH5. If you come up with your specific plans it will be easier to reply.

You'll have plenty of options to halt at Nagpur, Bhilai/Raipur and Sambalpur and there is no naxalite problem in this part of NH6 between Nagpur and Sambalpur, I've personally returned from Nagpur after dinner on many occassions with family and friends.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:04   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Option 1 : Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune-Hyderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur
Reach Surat by evening of previous day of starting the journey.
Day 1 : Surat-Mumbai-Pune (440Kms).
Day 2 : Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad (565kms).
Day 3 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vishakhapatnam (620Kms).
Day 4 : Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur (288 Kms).

Option 2 : Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Cuttak-Gopalpur
Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Indore.
Day 2 : Indore-Nagpur.
Day 3 : Nagpur-Sambalpur.
Day 4 : Sambalpur-Gopalpur.

So far thinking on these lines. I can give a more firm programme in case I can get advise on the route.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Option 2 : Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Cuttak-Gopalpur
Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Indore.
Day 2 : Indore-Nagpur.
Day 3 : Nagpur-Sambalpur.
Day 4 : Sambalpur-Gopalpur.

So far thinking on these lines. I can give a more firm programme in case I can get advise on the route.
If you are coming to Indore for no reason then I would advice you to take this route

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Ah...ia=1,2&t=m&z=7

Almost good all the way. I am unsure of the road condition in Maharashtra.
Do the Dahod-Alirajpur-Kukshi section in daytime. And take a halt at Maheshwar or Omkareshwar.
mercedised is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 22:08   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 207
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Option 1 : Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Pune-Hyderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur
Reach Surat by evening of previous day of starting the journey.
Day 1 : Surat-Mumbai-Pune (440Kms).
Day 2 : Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad (565kms).
Day 3 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vishakhapatnam (620Kms).
Day 4 : Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur (288 Kms).

Option 2 : Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Cuttak-Gopalpur
Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Indore.
Day 2 : Indore-Nagpur.
Day 3 : Nagpur-Sambalpur.
Day 4 : Sambalpur-Gopalpur.

So far thinking on these lines. I can give a more firm programme in case I can get advise on the route.
I am planning a drive to Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, which is south of Nagpur. My proposed route is Ahmedabad-Vadodra-Dhaboi-Alirajpur-Kukshi-Khandwa-Amravati (night halt) and next day on to Tadoba. In your case, please avoid the Dahod-Jabhua-Dhar-Indore road as this is in a horrible state. I had traveled to Indore using the Alirajpur route, which is a single lane, but with not much traffic. In case you do not have to go to Indore, why not halt at the scenic Melghat Tiger reserve which is before Amravati. You can book the forest guest house in Kolkaz. This way you can avoid going to Indore to reach Nagpur.

Your option 1 is definitely the better road, but option 2 is the road less traveled and should be interesting, as you can visit some Tiger sanctuaries enroute.

Regards

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 23:52   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,594 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
(b) Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hyaderabad-Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur : Longer by about 400Km. Sounds better through big cities though it may be time consuming but better connected.
I would say Hyderabad is the best option of all. Its 400km more. But you get decent break points and also good roads. Pune-Hyd NH9 is a bit rough as 4-lane is on going. Check that thread for latest.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:23   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
but option 2 is the road less traveled and should be interesting, as you can visit some Tiger sanctuaries enroute.
Regards
Saji
Can you point/suggest what all tiger reserves can be visited enroute or with little deviation from this route?

Any suggestions on accommodation would be most welcome.

I am likely to extend my journey time to seven days so it might turn out to be better enjoyable journey after all.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:43   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 207
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Melghat tiger sanctuary as well as Tadoba are close to your proposed itinerary. In addition, Pench is also not too far.
You can book the forest guest house in Kolkaz using the following link http://www.mahaecotourism.gov.in. In addition both the forest guest house as well as safari tours can be booked using the same link. I have done both the forest guest house booking as well as the safari tours for April 15 to 20th on line.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 13:07   #11
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Can you point/suggest what all tiger reserves can be visited enroute or with little deviation from this route?

Any suggestions on accommodation would be most welcome.

I am likely to extend my journey time to seven days so it might turn out to be better enjoyable journey after all.

As Saji has mentioned first would be Melghat near Amravati, second would be Pench near Nagpur, third would be Tadoba again 150KM south of Nagpur. Fourth would be a relatively unknown reserve forest near Bhandara and is called Nagzira. This is strictly not a tiger reserve but tiger has been spotted here. Last one would be Simlipal in Orissa.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
[b]
Option 2 : Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Cuttak-Gopalpur
Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Indore.
Day 2 : Indore-Nagpur.
Day 3 : Nagpur-Sambalpur.
Day 4 : Sambalpur-Gopalpur.

So far thinking on these lines. I can give a more firm programme in case I can get advise on the route.
From Indore to Nagpur : Latest knowledge tells that NH69 is in terrible condition, I'm not very sure how is it now. This is the opinion of HVK in some other thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH69 is totally avoidable.
Alternative route is Amaravati-Achalpur-Dharni-Khandwa-Indore, which has some rough sections but mostly good except that you have to cross the Melghat WLS and has poor facilities en route.
This suggestion was in reference for travel from Nagpur-Indore, so the reverse would be applicable for you. From Amravati you'll have beautiful road till Nagpur, there is a nice ORR if you want to avoid Nagpur city. Nagpur to Bhandara road widening is going on so there will be plenty of diversions. Beyond Bhandara till 35KMs off Raipur (ARANG) the road is four laned but at bhilai-Raipur the road will be very busy and your speed will be restricted. Beyond Arang the road is two laned and neither good nor bad and full of patch works. The border crossing may be a sore point.

Overall Nagpur to Bhilai takes four hours and Bhilai to Sambalpur takes 5 hours.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 20:07   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

I am about to finalise the Option 1 route, pending my leave approval. I plan to cover the distance in a relaxed manner, meeting friends enroute. The plan now stands like this:-

Day 1 : Ahmedabad-Vadodara
Day 2 : Vadodara-Surat-Mumbai
Day 3 : Mumbai
Day 4 : Mumbai-Pune
Day 5 : Pune
Day 6 : Pune-Solapur-Hyderabad (Need to check route)
Day 7 : Hyderabad
Day 8 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada
Day 9 : Vijaywada-Vishakhapatnam
Day 10 : Vishakhapatnam-Gopalpur

Please update on the route condition, accommodation, break options including places for meals.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 13:25   #13
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

That is a better route, no doubt.
But eight days for the travel !!! I envy you.

Best of luck for the journey and request you to give a feedback in this thread or a seperate TL for the benefit of others.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 20:57   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Smile Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
That is a better route, no doubt.
But eight days for the travel !!! I envy you.

Best of luck for the journey and request you to give a feedback in this thread or a seperate TL for the benefit of others.
There are eight days for travel only in case I get leave else its just four days. If I have four days then it would be just some hard driving!

Definitely, I will add here or TL depending on how much tourism time I get.

However, still looking for some tips on following;-

(a) Route condition between Solapur and Hyderabad (Planning to take the Gulbarga route, I guess NH-9 is pathetic in AP area).

(b) Route condition between Hyderabad-Vijaywada and Vijaywada-Vizag.

(c) Stay options in Vijaywada.

(d) Breakfast/Lunch options on all stretches.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 25th February 2014 at 20:58.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 13:11   #15
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
However, still looking for some tips on following;-

(a) Route condition between Solapur and Hyderabad (Planning to take the Gulbarga route, I guess NH-9 is pathetic in AP area).

(b) Route condition between Hyderabad-Vijaywada and Vijaywada-Vizag.

(c) Stay options in Vijaywada.

(d) Breakfast/Lunch options on all stretches.

I think fellow member Ranjitp1 and Ampere would certainly be in a position to help you here. You may PM them to draw their attention.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ahmedabad to Indore : Route Queries rammishra Route / Travel Queries 62 11th December 2017 15:38
Nagpur, Shirdi & Nagpur: 23 hours pramods Travelogues 10 13th January 2017 19:14
Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs ramkya1 Travelogues 37 15th February 2016 20:11
Gypsy Journey planned : Nagpur-Mangalore-Chikmagalur-Goa-Solapur-Nagpur : Need inputs abheekg Route / Travel Queries 6 3rd November 2009 11:55
Nagpur-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Jammu-Nagpur:5.5K pramods Travelogues 48 20th June 2009 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks