Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th April 2014, 17:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Kumta - Ooty Route Query

Two of my friends need to drive to Ooty from Kumta in May. There will be two vehicles with a driver each. Both are sedate drivers (80/90 kmph) on highways.
  1. What is the best route from Kumta to Ooty?
  2. Is it doable in a day? What time should they start from Kumta to be able to reach Ooty by say 6 p.m. or so?
  3. If Kumta to Ooty is not doable or will be too stressful for a day, what is the best route from Kumta to Mysore? If the original route to Ooty from Kumta is via Mysore, then they can follow that route.
And a few more questions on the return journey.
  1. Starting from Ooty in the morning (say 6 a.m.) is it possible to reach Chitradurga by evening with some sightseeing stops of a couple of hours on the way?
  2. Is there any reasonable and good family accommodation at Chitradurga? If not please suggest alternate locations that they can drive to on that day and reach without tiring themselves out.
The above is to enable them to drive to Pune comfortably on day 2.

Thanks for all the help.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 18:50   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Kumta - Ooty Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
[*]Is there any reasonable and good family accommodation at Chitradurga?
Thanks for all the help.
Hotel naveen regency is a good hotel with attached restaurant. You can try there.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 19:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kumta - Ooty Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Two of my friends need to drive to Ooty from Kumta in May. There will be two vehicles with a driver each. Both are sedate drivers (80/90 kmph) on highways.
What is the best route from Kumta to Ooty?
Kumta-Honnavar-Shimoga-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Ooty

Quote:
Is it doable in a day? What time should they start from Kumta to be able to reach Ooty by say 6 p.m. or so?
Possible. But one can get tired as the while distance is 2L and they have to cover nearly 600km. I would say break at Mysore.

Quote:
If Kumta to Ooty is not doable or will be too stressful for a day, what is the best route from Kumta to Mysore? If the original route to Ooty from Kumta is via Mysore, then they can follow that route.
I mentioned it already

Quote:
Starting from Ooty in the morning (say 6 a.m.) is it possible to reach Chitradurga by evening with some sightseeing stops of a couple of hours on the way?
Is there any reasonable and good family accommodation at Chitradurga? If not please suggest alternate locations that they can drive to on that day and reach without tiring themselves out. The above is to enable them to drive to Pune comfortably on day 2.
Easily can be done. Ooty-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Neligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Chitradurga

The only place to stay is Naveen Regency. Just about OK place.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 16:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Kumta - Ooty Route Query

Start as early morning as possible from Kumta. Most of the traffic on NH17 would be towards mangalore in the morning. Plan for a breakfast stop in Mangalore. If you start around 830 am from mangalore you should be in Kamat Channrayapatna by 1. A lunch stop and then straight to ooty. You should be able to reach by 6 pm easily.

If I were you , I would start from Kumta around 3am

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Last edited by speedsatya : 26th April 2014 at 16:13.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 16:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mangalore route would be much more taxing. I would say take Honnavar Simoga Hassan Mysore road. Much more easier to drive.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote