Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd May 2014, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Question Pune -> Gwalior -> Agra -> Khajuraho -> Pune

Guys,

I am planning a road trip with family (including two kids 9 and 4) to Taj Mahal in mid August and plan to do some sightseeing at Gwalior and Khajuraho enroute. The tentative, first cut of the route as sketched by Google map is shown below:

Name:  tentative_route_tajmahal.JPG
Views: 5600
Size:  80.7 KB

I intend to split the trip as follows:

1) Pune -> Indore (night halt)
2) Indore -> Gwalior (2 nights)
3) Gwalior -> Agra (2 nights)
4) Agra -> Jhansi -> Khajuraho (2 nights)
5) Khajuraho -> Bhopal (or Indore, undecided) (night halt)
6) Bhopal -> Pune

I have scanned some t-bhp threads and other sites but could not find an updated information on some route sections, particularly #2 , 4 and, 6.

I will be the sole driver and driving my Safari. Want to restrict ~600kms/day. With this background, please help me in finalizing my plan.
  1. Is Indore -> Gwalior still a no go? What alternative to consider?
  2. Agra -> Khajuraho via Jhansi- how is the road and approx travel time to budget.
  3. Stay options at Indore, Gwalior and Bhopal- preferably touching the highway and budget 3-4k/day.
  4. Will Panna NP be open to tourists during monsoon? Can I drive in my vehicle at least up to the waterfalls?
  5. Return from Bhopal to Pune via Aurangabad or Bhopal -> Indore-> Pune should be preferred and why?
  6. Safety/amenities on these roads?
  7. Any other tips, places to visit nearby?
Thanks in advance,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 23rd May 2014 at 16:06. Reason: typo
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 16:43   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Pune -> Gwalior -> Agra -> Khajuraho -> Pune

Let me try to answer your questions as i am from a place next to Panna national park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Is Indore -> Gwalior still a no go? What alternative to consider?
Its manageable in Safari

Quote:
Agra -> Khajuraho via Jhansi- how is the road and approx travel time to budget.
Agra -> Gwalior -> Jhansi -> Nowgaon -> chhatarpur -> Bamitha -> Khajuraho is again doable in safari and can be covered in 7-8 hours

Quote:
Stay options at Indore, Gwalior and Bhopal- preferably touching the highway and budget 3-4k/day.
HVK can help you as i never stayed in a hotel in these places

Quote:
Will Panna NP be open to tourists during monsoon? Can I drive in my vehicle at least up to the waterfalls?
It might be closed, but i can check and revert in few days. Which fall you are talking about Pandav fall (close to national park) or rane fall (close to Khajuraho towards rajnagar) ?

Quote:
Return from Bhopal to Pune via Aurangabad or Bhopal -> Indore-> Pune should be preferred and why?
Bhopal -> Indore -> Pune (awesome road between bhopal and indore and good road between Indore - Nashik and then you can come either through kalyan or through Sangamner

Quote:
Safety/amenities on these roads?
I never faced any issue in MP, be polite thats it

Quote:
Any other tips, places to visit nearby?
Why not include Orchha when coming from Agra to Khajuraho ? make sure to visit Pandav falls few kms from Panna national park, have breakfast/stay at 'Ken River lodge'. If you are religious guy, visit Chitrakoot. in Bhopal visit zoo...

Shubhendra Singh

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2014 at 11:44. Reason: Using quote the right way :)
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 17:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

I am planning a road trip with family (including two kids 9 and 4) to
last week i drove from a place near Khajuraho to Pune in a Bolero 4x4 via Maihar - Katni - Jabalpur - Dhuma - Chapara - Seoni - Nagpur - Wardha - Karanja - Malegaon - Sindkhed raja - Jalna - Aurangabad - Ahmad Nagar - Pune

And except few place 5% to 7% of the total route there are good to very good roads.
Few places after Seoni, before and after Jalna are not good but nothing to worry about in Safari.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 12:16   #4
BHPian

Hey!

I am planning on a round trip to from Chinchwad to Agra. Below are a few details around it and a few related questions. Would appreciate comments and words of wisdom!

Journey Details:

Start Date: Friday, 26th Sep (Around mid night)
Return Date: Saturday, 4th Oct (Again, around mid night)
# of people travelling: Three Adults, one four year old kid.
Car: Ford Ecosport

Questions / Queries:

1. Which road is better? via Ahmednagar or via Sangamner?
2. How is the road conditions between Indore and Shivpuri? I have heard that the road is in very bad shape and best is to avoid it.
3. If I have to avoid the above route, how is Indore > Ujjain > Kota > Shivpuri route? Better?
4. What are the stay options close to highway in Indore? Looking for budget places. Any leads would be helpful.
5. If the above route is not in good shape for most part, is it better to go via Mumabi > Ahemdabad > Udaipur > Jaipur Route? I know it is way longer than the NH3, but want to avoid bad/broken roads.

Regards!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 14th September 2014 at 12:17.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 09:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hey!

I am planning on a round trip to from Chinchwad to Agra. Below are a few details around it and a few related questions. Would appreciate comments and words of wisdom!

Journey Details:

Start Date: Friday, 26th Sep (Around mid night)
Return Date: Saturday, 4th Oct (Again, around mid night)
# of people travelling: Three Adults, one four year old kid.
Car: Ford Ecosport

Questions / Queries:

1. Which road is better? via Ahmednagar or via Sangamner?
2. How is the road conditions between Indore and Shivpuri? I have heard that the road is in very bad shape and best is to avoid it.
3. If I have to avoid the above route, how is Indore > Ujjain > Kota > Shivpuri route? Better?
4. What are the stay options close to highway in Indore? Looking for budget places. Any leads would be helpful.
5. If the above route is not in good shape for most part, is it better to go via Mumabi > Ahemdabad > Udaipur > Jaipur Route? I know it is way longer than the NH3, but want to avoid bad/broken roads.

Regards!
Sangamaner route is good if you leave early morning before the day's traffic. In Ahmednagar route, a stretch of road around Shirdi is bad.

Indore-Shivpuri route is best avoided, is bad, sees heavy truck traffic, jams due to bad roads & breakdowns, has absolutely zero facilities.

Best route is Dhule-Dhamnod-Manpur-Lebad (no need to go to Indore)-Ratlam-Jaora-Mandsaur-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittorgarh.

If going via Indore, then you can do Indore-Ujjain-Jaora

If you wnat to go via Bhopal, then Indore-Dewas-Bhopal-Vidisha-Rahatgarh-Maithone-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Gwalior
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 11:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you wnat to go via Bhopal, then Indore-Dewas-Bhopal-Vidisha-Rahatgarh-Maithone-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Gwalior
Why not Indore-Ratlam-Ajmer-Jaipur-Agra? A full 4-lane. A little more in distance but lesser compared to Bombay/AMD.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 12:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best route is Dhule-Dhamnod-Manpur-Lebad (no need to go to Indore)-Ratlam-Jaora-Mandsaur-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittorgarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why not Indore-Ratlam-Ajmer-Jaipur-Agra? A full 4-lane. A little more in distance but lesser compared to Bombay/AMD.
Yes, that is what I have suggested above too
Old 20th September 2014, 10:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Sangamaner route is good if you leave early morning before the day's traffic. In Ahmednagar route, a stretch of road around Shirdi is bad.

Indore-Shivpuri route is best avoided, is bad, sees heavy truck traffic, jams due to bad roads & breakdowns, has absolutely zero facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Thank you HVK Sir and ampere! Appreciate your replies!

I am thinking of taking the Bhopal route. En-route will be able to take a quick stop at my relatives place!

Will post my experiences and how the trip goes!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 17:39   #9
BHPian

Indore Shivpuri Route is a mess rite now. Please avoid any travel on the Route.
bhavtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 01:16   #10
BHPian

Im planning a road trip with wife and two kids in my faithful Black Beauty (Wagon R) from Faridkot (Punjab) to Kolkata via Delhi - Agra - Varanasi. Any suggestions/ tips for the preparations for the trip which I've planned over 3 days, covering approx 600 kms each day. Any experiences of the Yamuna expressway? Advice needed pl
aviator1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 06:52   #11
BHPian

Big Thanks to HVK Sir, ampere and bhavtol for their valuable inputs! This surely went a long way in making my trip a successful one!

So, after a long gap, post my trip, finally got a chance to put down a few details of the road trip!

Route taken: (While going from Pune)

Sangamner > Malegaon > Dhulia > Indore > Ujjain >Jhalawar > Shivpuri > Gwalior > Agra.

The route from Ujjain to Jhalawar is essentially a two lane road. However, the surface is good and I was easily maintaining an average speed of 70 kmph.

Jhalawar to Shivpuri (via Baran):
This is one heck of a road!! Superbly four laned road with almost nill traffic. On this road right till Shivpuri, I could maintain triple digit speeds.

From here on, Shivpuri - Gwalior strech was in a bad shape. This was the only stretch in my entire journey which was bad.

While returning :

To avoid Gwalior - Shivpuri stretch, we went via Jhansi > Baran > Jhalawar > Ujjain > Indore > Dhulia > Malegaon > Sangamner > Chinchwad.

All in all, it was a very good trip with no surprises! Covered all of 3000 KM!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 25th October 2014 at 06:58.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 02:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
While returning :

To avoid Gwalior - Shivpuri stretch, we went via Jhansi > Baran > Jhalawar > Ujjain > Indore > Dhulia > Malegaon > Sangamner > Chinchwad.

All in all, it was a very good trip with no surprises! Covered all of 3000 KM!
Hey buddy, how was the Gwalior - Jhansi stretch? I am planning to go to Khajuraho in the next few days. And wanted to know if the Gwalior - Jhansi stretch is still taking 3 to 3.5 hours.
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 08:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The route from Ujjain to Jhalawar is essentially a two lane road. However, the surface is good and I was easily maintaining an average speed of 70 kmph.
This is good to note. It has the potential to play that crucial link to connect west to central/north routing sectors.

Quote:
Jhalawar to Shivpuri (via Baran):
This is one heck of a road!! Superbly four laned road with almost nill traffic. On this road right till Shivpuri, I could maintain triple digit speeds.
Can you confirm this? I thought only Baran-Shivpuri is 4-lane (part of NH76). How is Jhalawar to Baran?

Quote:
Good thinking again. Were you able to get to use the Jhansi bypass to NH76.
NH76 is one of the many awesome roads in the state.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:22   #14
BHPian

Me and a couple of my friends will be riding from pune to khajuraho in december. We have done the pune indore stretch while going to Pushkar and will follow the same route. However we have no idea how the roads are from Indore to khajuraho. Need advise on best route from Indore-khajuraho and road conditions. Day 1 we will halt at bhopal and then reach khajuraho on day 2.
raghuvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Me and a couple of my friends will be riding from pune to khajuraho in december. We have done the pune indore stretch while going to Pushkar and will follow the same route. However we have no idea how the roads are from Indore to khajuraho. Need advise on best route from Indore-khajuraho and road conditions. Day 1 we will halt at bhopal and then reach khajuraho on day 2.
From Bhopal, you can go via Vidisha & Rahatgarh to Maithon, Lalitpur & Jhansi. From Jhansi, it is a direct road to Kajuraho via Chhatarpur