Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th September 2014, 19:57   #1
BHPian

Default Coimbatore to Alleppey route

I am going on a trip from Coimbatore to Alleppey tomorrow and it would be great if you could please let me know the most hassle free route. I used to take the NH47, but I never had a good experience as NH47 always has lots of traffic and frequent potholes. Please suggest.
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 20:37   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Coimbatore to Alleppey route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I am going on a trip from Coimbatore to Alleppey tomorrow and it would be great if you could please let me know the most hassle free route. I used to take the NH47, but I never had a good experience as NH47 always has lots of traffic and frequent potholes. Please suggest.
Greetings of the day!

1. When have you done the stretch last?

2. I covered this stretch in Dec 2013 as a part of a much longer trip and found the stretch to be fairly good.Till Thrissur,roads were 4-laned.

3. No viable alternative routes came up at the stage of route planning.And the decision to follow NH47 itself proved to be the best bet.

4. What alternative routes have you looked at?

Regards!
onkar1710 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 21:05   #3
BHPian

Thanks Onkar. I last did the Coimbatore - Alleppey trip a year back.

I read some posts on this forum and the alternate route suggested by a few folks is Coimbatore-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry and then take up the NH47 from Vadakkencherry. Not sure if this is better compared to the typical Coimbatore-Palakkad NH47 road.
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 21:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:

I read some posts on this forum and the alternate route suggested by a few folks is Coimbatore-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry and then take up the NH47 from Vadakkencherry. Not sure if this is better compared to the typical Coimbatore-Palakkad NH47
Not much to be gained!

Coimbatore-Pollachi is fairly good, have covered it as a part of our Valparai-Wayanad-Coorg-Belur-Halebeedu-Shravanbelagola trip in May 2014 but can't say the same about the rest of the route.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2014 at 12:47. Reason: Fixing quote
onkar1710 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I read some posts on this forum and the alternate route suggested by a few folks is Coimbatore-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry and then take up the NH47 from Vadakkencherry. Not sure if this is better compared to the typical Coimbatore-Palakkad NH47 road.
Coimbatore-Palladam-Pollachi will be a detour.

Better, take the default Coimbatore-Pollachi route itself.
Coimbatore-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy-Vyttila-Cherthala-Alleppey. Road between Alwaye to Edappally will be slow due to metro work+traffic.

You can alternatively try Alwaye-Kalamasserry-Seaport Airport road-Petta Jn-Kundannur if you are traveling during peak hours. Traffi will be relatively lower.

You may also have a look at this thread (All Roads to Kerala)

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th September 2014 at 10:23.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Coimbatore-Palladam-Pollachi will be a detour.

Better, take the default Coimbatore-Pollachi route itself.
Coimbatore-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy-Vyttila-Cherthala-Alleppey. Road between Alwaye to Edappally will be slow due to metro work+traffic.

You can alternatively try Alwaye-Kalamasserry-Seaport Airport road-Petta Jn-Kundannur if you are traveling during peak hours. Traffi will be relatively lower.

You may also have a look at this thread (All Roads to Kerala)

Quote:

I will be traveling on a Similar route to Cochin tomorrow. Should I take the NH 47 throughout ? This is my first time driving in the Southern Part of India.
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 11:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
I will be traveling on a Similar route to Cochin tomorrow. Should I take the NH 47 throughout ? This is my first time driving in the Southern Part of India.
NH47 from L&T exit till Kuzhalmannam (Palakkad) is bad. Try to avoid this section through alternate routes, if possible.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote