Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th October 2014, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Clean beach near Mumbai with good accommodation?

During the diwali weekend I'd be visiting my parents in Mumbai. We plan on going to a nearby place which has a clean enough beach for some swimming (nothing better if it has some water sports) and also has a couple of decent staying options.

I know that many resorts are already booked so we're looking for a place (~4-6 hrs drive) which has good number of resorts with swimming pool to choose from and also a beach nearby.

Alibagh (or is it Alibaugh?) isn't recommended by a couple of people I know because as per them the beaches are way too dirty. Any other ideas?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 12:28   #2
BHPian

Default re: Clean beach near Mumbai with good accommodation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
During the diwali weekend I'd be visiting my parents in Mumbai. We plan on going to a nearby place which has a clean enough beach for some swimming (nothing better if it has some water sports) and also has a couple of decent staying options.
There are many beaches near Alibag. Not sure which ones were visited by your friends. The best beach near Alibag is Kashid beach. This is only beach in the area with yellow sand. But I don't think there are any resorts there. But there is one very expensive hotel there. I don't remember the name but you can google it.

Another option is Dive Agar. Again, there are couple of resorts there but don't think swimming pool is there.

Both the beaches have water sports. If I have to rate, I'd rate Kashid beach better than Dive Agar.

Last edited by shipnil : 9th October 2014 at 12:29.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 12:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
The best beach near Alibag is Kashid beach. But I don't think there are any resorts there. But there is one very expensive hotel there. I don't remember the name but you can google it.
Thanks! I remember someone recommending Kashid beach on another forum a couple of months back.

So is it far from Alibag or can one stay in Alibag and visit Kashid beach. I mean what would be the nearest place to stay at if we wish to spend some time on Kashid beach?
Old 9th October 2014, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Kashid is a great beach with a expensive resort (as rightly pointed out by SHIPNIL) named Prakriti Resort. Other staying options are limited and are mostly bachelors wanting to get sloshed types.

Some other beaches are Murud (Not Murid Janjira, but a beach near Dapoli. Around 5-6 hrs drive) which has decent staying options with water sports available. There is also a facility in which they take you on a boat ride to see DOLPHINS!!!!

Note: Expect Konkan roads to be bad during this time due to Monsoon beating they would have taken, also the traffic will be high due to season.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 9th October 2014 at 12:34.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 13:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
So is it far from Alibag or can one stay in Alibag and visit Kashid beach. I mean what would be the nearest place to stay at if we wish to spend some time on Kashid beach?
Alibag is 30 kms from Kashid. It is the district headquarters but I have no idea of stay options. On the other side of Kashid, around 20 kms, Murud Janjira is there. It has some stay options. I think there is one MTDC hotel as well in Murud Janjira.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 13:15   #6
BHPian

As already mentioned, Alibaug and Kashid are the best best for clean beaches south of Mumbai which also host water sports. Of the two, Alibaug is best avoided as the beaches are dirty. However, Kashid doesnt really have any resorts and most of the staying options are homestays, though several of these offer very good choices.

Quote:
IMHO, no it is not a good idea to stay at Alibaug and drive down to Kashid for beach activities. The distance is not too great but you will have to drive through village roads and expect at least an hours drive or more depending on where you are staying at Alibaug. Moreover, driving for an hour down to your hotel in your wet beach shorts isn't my idea of fun.

The other option is to head north of Mumbai to Daman, which has several resorts, and the beaches are more or less as clean as the ones you will find in Kashid. Distance from Mumbai to Daman is greater than to Kashid - however the NH8 is on good condition and if you leave well in time (early morning) a quick drive will make easy work of the stretch and you can reach Daman in less than 3-3.5 hrs maintaining decent speeds!

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2014 at 14:30. Reason: Rule #11
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 13:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

My parents stay in Malabar Hill so I'm not sure whether we'd lose too much time getting out of the city itself but I'll definitely consider it.

I'm not sure how big Daman is but are there specific beaches where we should be staying at?

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2014 at 14:31. Reason: Removing quoted post, as it's been edited
Old 9th October 2014, 13:49   #8
BHPian

If not inclined towards Alibaug, you can also go to Kelva Beach which is around 80-100 Kms from mumbai on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway(take left at Manor). It is a nice clean beach and has parasailing at some point of year(Not sure). Had gone there a couple of years back and stayed at a place called kelva beach resort which had bamboo cottages on stilt. Also there is Kelva fort, kelva Dam and Shitladevi temple nearby.
malgudi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 14:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
My parents stay in Malabar Hill so I'm not sure whether we'd lose too much time getting out of the city itself but I'll definitely consider it.
Since you are staying at Malabar Hill, I think the distance to either of the two destinations will be almost the same, give or take about 30-40kms. Moreover, the NH8 roads are way better than the roads to Alibaug. Best to leave early in either case as seeing it is holiday season all roads out of Mumbai will be crowded as the day advances and vice versa on the way back!!

Quote:
I'm not sure how big Daman is but are there specific beaches where we should be staying at?
There are two distinct "Damans" - Moti Daman and Nani Daman. Most of Moti Daman is set within the Portuguese Fort of the old guard and today houses the administrative headquarters, Jail, municipal HQ and some touristy sites and Jampore Beach. Nani Daman is more commercialized and most of the resorts are here along with the other major beach - Devka Beach.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 14:35   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Clean beach near Mumbai with good accommodation?

Some more travelogues which you might find helpful

Ganpatipule (Mumbai (Thane) - Ganpatipule - Ganeshgule... Loads of pics!!)

Dapoli (Mumbai (Thane) - Dapoli - Murud - Anjarle)

Harnai (Trip to Murud / Karde (near Harnai ) from Mumbai)

Kashid (Kashid-Murud-Janjira)
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote