Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 00:18   #1
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 269
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Hi guys,

I have a 1 day trip towards Kolar-Chikballapur and back to Bangalore and I have drafted the plan below.

Please let me know about the route to take, road conditions and any alternate routes if available.

Some points to note:-
1) I stay in JP Nagar
2) Have to pick up two friends (one at Bellandur and KR Puram)
3) Another friend to be picked up at Kolar
4) Attend Colleague's wedding at Chintamani (basically lunch)
5) Drop one friend at Chikballapur
6) Head home by evening
7) Drop friends at respective places.

Any inputs and suggestions that would help make this trip fruitful are welcome.
Car is a Fluidic Verna CRDi.

Google maps gave me the following:-
Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur-screen-shot-20150203-12.32.40-am.png


P.S:- Mods can delete it or move it if it this topic is innappropriate. Searched quite a lot, but couldn't find any info regarding this route.

Regards,
Dr. Aniketh Sharma
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 07:27   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
I have a 1 day trip towards Kolar-Chikballapur and back to Bangalore and I have drafted the plan below.
Kolar-Chintamani is decent. Chintamani-Chikkaballapur NH234 is fantastic. Be aware of humps when it enters villages. And at some places its narrow. But other wise quite good all the way.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 08:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,752
Thanked: 4,345 Times
Default re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

If you have to drop the two friends before you return, then you could take ORR from Hebbal fly-over, go towards KR Puram / Bellandur and then return to JP Nagar
condor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 00:14   #4
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 269
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Thanks Condor and Ampere.

Have never travelled on these routes, hence the query. Will update the road condition with pictures when I travel on the 12th of this month.

Thanks again and regards,
Dr. Aniketh Sharma
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 01:06   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Thanks Condor and Ampere.

Have never travelled on these routes, hence the query. Will update the road condition with pictures when I travel on the 12th of this month.

Thanks again and regards,
Dr. Aniketh Sharma
Chikballapur-Chintamani-Mulbagal now is NH234. It earlier a SH. We had been on this road almost year and a half back and it was fantastic. Dont expect the conditions to change as there is hardly any traffic on these sectors.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 11:36   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chikballapur-Chintamani-Mulbagal now is NH234. It earlier a SH. We had been on this road almost year and a half back and it was fantastic. Don't expect the conditions to change as there is hardly any traffic on these sectors.
I am planning to drive from Pune to Tirupati by Aug 24 this year. Even though, it's almost 3 year since you have driven on this stretch (purely going by this dated post ), would like to check if there's any recent update and Can I take this stretch for Tirupati? I am planning to divert from Dabaspet to Chintamani and continue on NH 234. I am planning to drive till Tirupati without stopping over at Bangalore. Need your advice if evening / night drive ok on this road? Speed breakers, diversions...? Appreciate your help!!
Pam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 08:07   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
I am planning to divert from Dabaspet to Chintamani and continue on NH 234. I am planning to drive till Tirupati without stopping over at Bangalore. Need your advice if evening / night drive ok on this road? Speed breakers, diversions...? Appreciate your help!!
I know for sure that Chikkaballapur-Mulbagal is good. A few rough patches here and there and narrow roads and humps while crossing villages.

Sira-Madhugiri-Gauribidanur-Chikkaballaur : Not sure about this status. But I am fairly confident it should motor able too. I would however suggest this whole section from Sira to Mulbagal be done during day time. Wont suggest late evenings/dusk time etc. Its not that its desolate, but being 2-lane and (in case of being narrow), it may not worth it.

But I think NH207 from Dobbaspet to Hoskote and there on to the 4-lane may be a better option. As it maximizes your 4-lane coverage.

It would also be good to find the state of construction at Doddaballapur.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2017 at 08:59. Reason: Fixed Typo : Kolar -> Hoskote
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 09:53   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 193
Thanked: 227 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
I am planning to drive from Pune to Tirupati by Aug 24 this year. ......I am planning to drive till Tirupati without stopping over at Bangalore. Need your advice if evening / night drive ok on this road? Speed breakers, diversions...? Appreciate your help!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I know for sure that Chikkaballapur-Mulbagal is good. A few rough patches here and there and narrow roads and humps while crossing villages.
......
But I think NH207 from Dobbaspet to Kolar and there on to the 4-lane may be a better option. As it maximises your 4-lane coverage.
It would also be good to find the state of construction at Doddaballapur.
Last year I have done: (1) Doddaballapur-Devanahalli section and (2) Hoskote- Hcross - Jangamakote Cross - Devanahalli section

Based on this, I would recommend the following route for Pam81:
Dabaspet - Take right turn at TB Cross (Doddaballapura) - Devanahalli (continue straight when you cross Bangalore-Hyderabad highway) - Vijayapura Bypass - Proceed straight at Jangamakote cross - Proceed straight at H-Cross - Reach Kolar - Proceed via Bangalore-Tirupati highway.

Road quality ranges from very good to motorable most of the time. Still as ampere sugessted, I would recommend this route only for daytime. Do keep a watch for 2-wheeler traffic near small towns on the way - but nothing overwhelming.

Also, Pam81, if this is your first time on this highway - please be forewarned. The national highway between Bangalore-Tirupati is 4-lanes only up to KA-AP border (Gaddurur toll plaza). After that, it is undivided 2-lane section all the way up to Tirupati with considerable amount of truck traffic and some ghat section thrown in. Do expect lot of overtaking manuvers. Be careful and drive safe.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 13:31   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 77
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Also, Pam81, if this is your first time on this highway - please be forewarned. The national highway between Bangalore-Tirupati is 4-lanes only up to KA-AP border (Gaddurur toll plaza). After that, it is undivided 2-lane section all the way up to Tirupati with considerable amount of truck traffic and some ghat section thrown in. Do expect lot of overtaking maneuvers. Be careful and drive safe.
Just to make sure I understand correctly, from Kolar, is Bangalore - Tirupari hwy passing through Palamner and Chittoor? Please confirm. This would change my plans to stay overnight at Bangalore if I were to take your suggestion not to drive during late evening / night in this stretch.
Pam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 13:49   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 193
Thanked: 227 Times
Default Re: Bangalore -> Kolar -> Chintamani -> Chikkaballapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Just to make sure I understand correctly, from Kolar, is Bangalore - Tirupari hwy passing through Palamner and Chittoor? Please confirm. This would change my plans to stay overnight at Bangalore if I were to take your suggestion not to drive during late evening / night in this stretch.
Yes, the route passes through Palamner and Chittoor. There is a Chittoor bypass road which you can use to bypass the town. This bypass-road is in good condition and you will join the highway at a place called Murukambattu.
In general, I avoid this Bangalore-Tirupati route in night time. There is too much bus and lorry traffic with lots of powerful high-beam to tackle. Add the need to do careful overtaking manuvers, the driver ends up very tired by the time one reaches Tirupati.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lepakshi to Bangalore via Kolar Snehal Sekhar Route / Travel Queries 8 9th March 2015 20:43
Information Needed - (Bangalore - Kolar - Mulbagal - Bangalore) kirantp Route / Travel Queries 1 27th September 2011 22:47
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!! hgnishanth 4x4 Excursions 157 25th April 2010 18:03
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report. mjothi 4x4 Excursions 126 6th January 2010 10:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks