Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th February 2015, 15:22   #1
Default Sikkim and North East: Possible permit relaxation

Government of India is considering a proposal for relaxing/simplifying ‘Green Lake Trek’ in Sikkim. I am no hiking person myself and I am not aware of what have been the so called ‘difficulties’ with the current set of permits. I am putting this up as it could be of use for members who are planning a trek in or visit to Sikkim.

'Green Lake Trek' as I could gather from Sikkim Tourism website relates to, and I quote from the site, "the base of Mt. Kangchendzonga on the Zemu glacier in the North Sikkim...".

The press release also talks about Protected Area Permit relaxation for foreign tourists till 31 December 2015.

Here is a link to the press release (Press Information Bureau) and also the text.

The press release text:

"Press Information Bureau
Government of India
Ministry of Home Affairs
25-February-2015 16:18 IST

Relaxation in Restricted Area Permit in some Pockets in Ne

Proposal is under consideration for simplifying the permit system for Green Lake Trekking in Sikkim.

The entire areas of the States of Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland have been excluded from the Protected Area Permit (PAP) regime till 31.12.2015 for foreign tourists subject to certain conditions. Certain relaxations have also been allowed in PAP regime in Arunachal Pradesh.

This was stated by the Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju in a written reply to Dr. Chandan Mitra in the Rajya Sabha today."

Note for mods: Though I found many travelogues on Sikkim and North East I was unable to find a dedicated or a parked thread for North East permits and related aspects. If there is a dedicated or a parked thread on North East or for that matter if there is a thread where this will fit better, please merge this with the appropriate thread.

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 26th February 2015 at 15:23. Reason: Added date to PAP text
Traveller Nayak is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote