Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:23   #1
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Arrow South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Hi guys,
So I am ready for the next ride. The planned ride is going to start from April 16-17th. The route plan is as follows

Bangalore - Goa
Goa - Mumbai
Mumbai - Indore
Indore - Delhi
Delhi - Allahabad
Allahabad - Varanasi - Kolkata

I will be travelling on my Yezdi D250 Classic. Presently, the bike is getting restored by Mr. Moosa at Bangalore.

I have already travelled on the Delhi - Kolkata patch on my RD350 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-rd350-8.html (Delhi - Kolkata : A ride on RD350)) couple of years back and have some idea about the road conditions and other details. But I need your suggestion regarding the journey till Delhi.

How much time it will take to cover the different legs? How is the present road condition?

And also I will like to meet fellow members on my route - so, please get in touch.

Best regards
Mili
milindajp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:56   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 1,526 Times
Default re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Hi Milind,

Good to hear from you.

Looks like you are now specialising on long distance rides on restored machines.

Ride up to Mumbai, will be a breez with good roads and all. From then on, I can't comment as I have not experienced them recently.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:21   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Hi guys,
So I am ready for the next ride. The planned ride is going to start from April 16-17th. The route plan is as follows

Bangalore - Goa
Goa - Mumbai
Mumbai - Indore
Indore - Delhi
Delhi - Allahabad
Allahabad - Varanasi - Kolkata

I will be travelling on my Yezdi D250 Classic. Presently, the bike is getting restored by Mr. Moosa at Bangalore.

I have already travelled on the Delhi - Kolkata patch on my RD350 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-rd350-8.html (Delhi - Kolkata : A ride on RD350)) couple of years back and have some idea about the road conditions and other details. But I need your suggestion regarding the journey till Delhi.

How much time it will take to cover the different legs? How is the present road condition?

And also I will like to meet fellow members on my route - so, please get in touch.

Best regards
Mili

How much time it will take depends entirely on the following:
1. Start times in the morning. The earlier you leave, the longer you could go that day
2. Your cruising speeds
3. Your breaks - minimise them and you could save upto 20% of the time on the road

Going by benchmarks of a car keeping comfortable cruising speeds of 100 kmph, not taking more than 2 breaks during the day (mex 2 hours), starting at 6 am, these would be my time estimates:

Bangalore - Goa, via Tumkur, Shimoga, HOnavar, till Panaji? - 12 hours

Goa - Mumbai, via Amboli, KOlhapur, Pune (no expressway for bikes) - 12 hours


Mumbai - Indore, via Nashik, Dhule, Dhamnod - 12 hours

Indore - Delhi, via Ujjain, Neemuch, Chittorgarh, Bhilwara & Jaipur - 15 hours

Delhi - Allahabad, via YEH, Kanpur - 12 hours slow down in the Agra-Kanpur sector due to road widening)

Allahabad - Varanasi - Kolkata - 12 hours
hvkumar is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:43   #4
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How much time it will take depends entirely on the following:
1. Start times in the morning. The earlier you leave, the longer you could go that day
2. Your cruising speeds
3. Your breaks - minimise them and you could save upto 20% of the time on the road

Going by benchmarks of a car keeping comfortable cruising speeds of 100 kmph, not taking more than 2 breaks during the day (mex 2 hours), starting at 6 am, these would be my time estimates:

Bangalore - Goa, via Tumkur, Shimoga, HOnavar, till Panaji? - 12 hours

Goa - Mumbai, via Amboli, KOlhapur, Pune (no expressway for bikes) - 12 hours


Mumbai - Indore, via Nashik, Dhule, Dhamnod - 12 hours

Indore - Delhi, via Ujjain, Neemuch, Chittorgarh, Bhilwara & Jaipur - 15 hours

Delhi - Allahabad, via YEH, Kanpur - 12 hours slow down in the Agra-Kanpur sector due to road widening)

Allahabad - Varanasi - Kolkata - 12 hours
Thanks sir, it will be of great help to plan the route. But, as I never been on a Yezdi for long ride, I don't know if I will be able to cruise at more then 60-70 kmph.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:13   #5
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 63 Times
Default re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Thanks sir, it will be of great help to plan the route. But, as I never been on a Yezdi for long ride, I don't know if I will be able to cruise at more then 60-70 kmph.
I cruised at ~70-75 kmph when I went from Bangalore to Goa on my Yezdi RK in 2007. Do keep a spare tube and make best use of the low fuel rates in Goa.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:06   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 761
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Thanks sir, it will be of great help to plan the route. But, as I never been on a Yezdi for long ride, I don't know if I will be able to cruise at more then 60-70 kmph.
You can cruise at 60-70kmph in an Yezdi, all day long. I have done Banglore - Udupi non stop in 8 hours, a distance of 425kms.

As HVK said, start early, try to hit the first stop after atleast 250-300kms. The more breaks you take, the more likely you lose time and you will feel this at the end of the day when you fall short of your destination or try to ride hard. Keep yourself hydrated. Invest in a good hydration bag. Travel light.

Just make sure you do not have a lean setting on the carb and keep the throttle a wee bit open when you are hitting an incline, do not close the throttle fully. This will cut off the fuel and makes the bike susceptible to seizures. Since the bike is being done up, put in a thousand kms before you venture out on this ride. It will help the machine to bed in properly and you can fix the jinx beforehand.

Carry a headlamp, clutch, accelarator and brake cables, fuel filter, fuel pipe. These are the most prone failure parts on the Yezdi.

The BJYMC gets together on the second sunday at Airlines hotel at 0800 in the morning. Get yourself into the team and speak to Roshan, Brian, Varun, Shashidharan and Amit. You will find all the details you need to have.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 23:21   #7
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
You can cruise at 60-70kmph in an Yezdi, all day long. I have done Banglore - Udupi non stop in 8 hours, a distance of 425kms.

As HVK said, start ....
Thanks brother for your suggestion. Will keep this in mind for sure.
I am not a resident Indian and entirely dependent on Moosa for the whole job. I had a word yesterday with him, and as per him the bike will be ready by end of this month.

So, as per schedule I have 15 days in hand before commencing the journey. I already requested him to do couple of hundred kms or as much as possible before I reach Bangalore.

Brother, can you please tell me exactly when this BJYMC meeting will be held? Does it held every month? I am in contact with John and till try to figure out if I will be fortunate enough to meet you guys.

A good news - I booked the ticket for the journey today. Well, very excited about this...)))
Attached Images
 
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 23:25   #8
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

On reaching B'lore on 17.04.2015, I have a plan to visit Abilashrayam, an orphanage. Though the time is not fixed yet, still it will be nice if anyone interested can accompany me there. Want to spend a few moments with my little brothers and sisters and do as much as I can.

http://abilashrayam.com/Default.aspx
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 12:20   #9
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

So, today.... ordered 2 material.

1. Kuryakyn Universal Handlebar Mounted Electrical Power Point
2. USB port - dual

Now I can connect the GPS and keep the GoPro on charge all the time.....


Need suggestion : Which is the best action camera available in India (average budget) apart from GoPro.
Attached Images
  
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 14:25   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Need suggestion : Which is the best action camera available in India (average budget) apart from GoPro.
Just throwing an option of GoPro again as the price is at par with budget action cameras - http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301.html

Couldn't check in eBay for you now, but I'm sure they should be having one
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 23:01   #11
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Friends, need your help in few things...

1. Diameter of a Yezdi handlebar
2. Picture of Yezdi handlebar - both side. Close picture with switch and throttle.
3. Did anyone used Cramster saddlebag? Which one is better for Yezdi - Stallion or Colt?

Waiting for your reply....
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 21:24   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 761
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Stallion is the best bet as it is suited for the straight silencers. Colt is for upswept exhausts. But Cramster quality of late is not very encouraging.
No info on the Yezdi handlebars. I have one lying in the attic with me. If you would like to have it, I can scourge and take it down. It is old design with lever holders welded onto it and cables which can be run inside the handlebar.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 14:00   #13
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Stallion is the best bet as it is suited for the straight silencers. Colt is for upswept exhausts. But Cramster quality of late is not very encouraging.
No info on the Yezdi handlebars. I have one lying in the attic with me. If you would like to have it, I can scourge and take it down. It is old design with lever holders welded onto it and cables which can be run inside the handlebar.
Brother, a little confused. As per Cramster, they have a caution note for Yezdi because of the low exhaust clearance. Anyway, do you have any alternate other saddlebag brand in mind?

I would appreciate, if you can send me a close picture of the yezdi handlebar. If you meet any friend who have a Yezdi, take a picture. This is really urgent for me.

Thanks
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 18:09   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 761
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

Managed to get a few pics from a friend of mine. Have a look. Will check the diameter of the handle with him later today.

This is similar to what I had mentioned that I have with me.

South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic-20150308_195652.jpg

South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic-20150308_195701.jpg

South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic-20150308_195750.jpg
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 17:20   #15
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: South - North - East on a Yezdi D250 Classic

[quote=unk9ja;3659818]Managed to get a few pics from a friend of mine. Have a look. Will check the diameter of the handle with him later today.

This is similar to what I had mentioned that I have with me.

Thanks a million bhai. I really appreciate. This is going to help me a lot now.

Regards
Mili
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North East+ Bhutan nickoo Route / Travel Queries 88 5th April 2016 14:17
JK Tyre launches a Unique Motorsport Talent Search Programme in North- East India Dippy Indian Motorsport 2 12th February 2010 11:54
Need Custom Paint artist for my Yezdi D250 KostyPower Motorbikes 1 13th August 2008 20:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks