Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th February 2012, 12:21   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

f) Crossing Bijapur will be timeconsuming as roads are in bad condition before the Gol Gumaz and you need to traverse around them and weave through the thick of the city traffic

Cheers
Mobike008
Are the roads well marked for directions from Bijapur onwards till you reach NH4 or did you use a GPS?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 14:08   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Are the roads well marked for directions from Bijapur onwards till you reach NH4 or did you use a GPS?
Bijapur onwards its best to ask for next big town. For e.g :-

Athani---> Chikodi---> Go under the NH expressway to other side--> Gandiglaj----> Sankeshwar----> Ajra---> Amboli Ghat---> Sawantwadi then Panjim

And, I did use my TomTom so it was little easier for me in comparison to non-GPS users.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 10:45   #318
BHPian

Just back from Goa yesterday.
While going took the Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Ganagawathi-Koppal-Hubli-Karwar
Palolem(South goa).All the roads are in good condition.The road from Budugumpa cross
to Koppal is widened and is in good condition.
One night stay at Baga (North Goa) beach so return was through Sawanthwadi-Amboli-Ajara
Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar-Chikkodi-Kagvad-Athani-Bijapur-Gulbarga-Zaheerabad-Hyderabad
All the roads are in good condition.
After Muthangi took the outer ring road then to Gachibowli flyover and jubilee checkpost it took 25 mins
Thanks to mobike008 for the Sankeshwar-Gulbarga route.

Last edited by gajadonga : 26th March 2012 at 10:49.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 11:12   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
While going took the Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Ganagawathi-Koppal-Hubli-Karwar
Palolem(South goa).All the roads are in good condition.The road from Budugumpa cross
to Koppal is widened and is in good condition.
If it has to be via Hubli, how does this route compared against Humnabad/Bijapur/Hubli?
NH218 I hear is a beauty to drive. Do correct if its not right. Only negative I hear is no night travel on this section. Its hardly 60-70 km more.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 17:17   #320
BHPian

I do not know the condition of NH 218 from Hubli to Bijapur.
NH 13 four laning is going on I could see near Budugumpa cross.
At Bijapur I saw the regular N.H 13 and did not notice any four laning towards Sholapur.
So really do not know from which section the four laning is happening on N.H 13.
The S.H 12 between Sankeshwar-Bijapur is in good condition.

Last edited by gajadonga : 26th March 2012 at 17:20.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:07   #321
Team-BHP Support

NH218 from Humnabad all the way till Hubli is a beauty to drive. Most Hyderabad folks dont take this option because most need to travel to north Goa.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 20:46   #322
BHPian

In fact I would love to travel on National highways than the state highways due to
broader roads and the surface is smoother.Bijapur-Humnabad was super smooth.
Even from Raichur-Koppal was excellent.
I still remember we used to take 2hrs for Sindanor-Gangawathi stretch about 50kms 8years back.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:25   #323
BHPian

I am planning for a trip to Goa (1st to 4th May). I have never been to Goa so far.. mostly me and my wife will be travelling by car.
I have checked the route on Google maps as posted above by gajadonga.
I understand that there are 2 parts of Goa (South/North) which place offers best beaches and good places to visit? Or is it possible to visit both North and South Goa in this time span?
We are planning to leave on either 30th April or 1st May. Please suggest.
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 11:46   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I am planning for a trip to Goa (1st to 4th May). I have never been to Goa so far.. mostly me and my wife will be travelling by car.
I have checked the route on Google maps as posted above by gajadonga.
I understand that there are 2 parts of Goa (South/North) which place offers best beaches and good places to visit? Or is it possible to visit both North and South Goa in this time span?
We are planning to leave on either 30th April or 1st May. Please suggest.
First things first:May would be peak summer in Goa and add to it the humidity.So please factor in these when you plan-plenty of sun tan lotions and summer clothing.

North to South goa takes not more than 2 hours.Approx 70kms between the South and North.South Goa has peaceful beaches and almost every beach front forms the back side of some 5 star resort or the other.All the Five/Four star hotels and resorts are in South Goa-Colva being the most prominent of beaches.South Goa is broadly the Salcette district of Goa while Bardez is the north goa district.

North Goa is where you find all kinds of hotels and home stays.Except for the Taj and the recently open Hyatt,no five star hotels in Goa.None of the hotels have an opening to the beach in Goa.The beaches are rocky in comparison to the South.North goa is where all the noise happens.South Goa is the place to go if you want a laid back holiday with pristine beaches.Ideally stay in south and travel to north as the other way would be difficult beacause a large majority of the beaches in the South are accessible only via the hotels.Accomodation in the south would be expensive as opposed to accomodation in the north.

Drive route:Straight forward route would be Hyd-Solapur-Mangalwedha-Sangole Circle-Miraj-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Panjim(depending on where you want to go).

I would suggest a night stopover at Kolhapur on your way to Goa and on your return I would reccomend a stopover for the night at Solapur.If you want a different route take the one mentioned by mobike Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jewargi-Bijapur-Athani-Chikodi-Gandiglaj-Ajra-Amboli Ghat-Sawantwadi-Baga Beach.

However please note that stay options are very limited on this route.Bijapur is a good option to stay.Hotel Pearl at Bijapur is a reccomended one.

www.hotelpearlbijapur.com
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 14:50   #325
BHPian

Quote:
First things first:May would be peak summer in Goa and add to it the humidity.So please factor in these when you plan-plenty of sun tan lotions and summer clothing.

North to South goa takes not more than 2 hours.Approx 70kms between the South and North.South Goa has peaceful beaches and almost every beach front forms the back side of some 5 star resort or the other.All the Five/Four star hotels and resorts are in South Goa-Colva being the most prominent of beaches.South Goa is broadly the Salcette district of Goa while Bardez is the north goa district.

North Goa is where you find all kinds of hotels and home stays.Except for the Taj and the recently open Hyatt,no five star hotels in Goa.None of the hotels have an opening to the beach in Goa.The beaches are rocky in comparison to the South.North goa is where all the noise happens.South Goa is the place to go if you want a laid back holiday with pristine beaches.Ideally stay in south and travel to north as the other way would be difficult beacause a large majority of the beaches in the South are accessible only via the hotels.Accomodation in the south would be expensive as opposed to accomodation in the north.

Drive route:Straight forward route would be Hyd-Solapur-Mangalwedha-Sangole Circle-Miraj-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Panjim(depending on where you want to go).

I would suggest a night stopover at Kolhapur on your way to Goa and on your return I would reccomend a stopover for the night at Solapur.If you want a different route take the one mentioned by mobike Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jewargi-Bijapur-Athani-Chikodi-Gandiglaj-Ajra-Amboli Ghat-Sawantwadi-Baga Beach.

However please note that stay options are very limited on this route.Bijapur is a good option to stay.Hotel Pearl at Bijapur is a reccomended one.

www.hotelpearlbijapur.com

Thank you for the detailed response ranjitp1.
That's really helpful. I understand that the May can be hot, I never considered the humidity! Is it very humid in Goa around that time?
I am looking into the hotel prices and availability. However, if its too hot and humid, then I will discuss with my wife and check if we can think of any other place than Goa for now and postpone Goa plans to October time.

I also have plans for Ooty, however, I have been to B'lore>Mysore>Coorg>Mysore>Tirupati trip last May and to reach Ooty we need to take almost similar road. And I haven't been to many beaches either. So thought of Goa.
And is it not possible to reach Goa from Hyd if you start early morning say by 4AM?
Old 13th April 2012, 15:29   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
understand that the May can be hot, I never considered the humidity! Is it very humid in Goa around that time?
Goa is humid and hot round the year.Its a coastal state and any place close to the coast would be humid throughout the year.October to February is peak season in Goa,the whole place would be very crowded.Either go now or in the monsoons to see a not crowded Goa.Personally I love Goa during the rains.The lowest temperature in Goa would be in the range of 25deg which is still warm.People go to Goa to enjoy the sun

Quote:
I also have plans for Ooty, however, I have been to B'lore>Mysore>Coorg>Mysore>Tirupati trip last May and to reach Ooty we need to take almost similar road. And I haven't been to many beaches either.
Goa is the easiest/closest/best beach option from Hyderabad.Ooty is a 2 day drive.Day1 you can do Hyd-Mysore and Day 2 you can do Mysore-Ooty.Hyd to Mysore would be a 12-14hr drive.Next day morning if you leave Mysore by 6am,you would be in Ooty by 10am for breakfast.

Quote:
And is it not possible to reach Goa from Hyd if you start early morning say by 4AM?
Yes possible,would be a little tiring though.Its a good hard 12-14hour drive from Hyderabad irrespective of the route you take,which means a 4am departure would see you reaching Goa by 4-6pm in the evening.Instead I would suggest do a stopover at either Kolhapur or Solapur or Bijapur(depending on your route)and arrive in Goa fresh for an early lunch so that you get to make full use of your day in Goa.With a one day drive from Hyd to Goa,the day you arrive in Goa would just be to sleep away!
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 15:56   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Goa is humid and hot round the year.Its a coastal state and any place close to the coast would be humid throughout the year.October to February is peak season in Goa,the whole place would be very crowded.Either go now or in the monsoons to see a not crowded Goa.Personally I love Goa during the rains.The lowest temperature in Goa would be in the range of 25deg which is still warm.People go to Goa to enjoy the sun

Goa is the easiest/closest/best beach option from Hyderabad.Ooty is a 2 day drive.Day1 you can do Hyd-Mysore and Day 2 you can do Mysore-Ooty.Hyd to Mysore would be a 12-14hr drive.Next day morning if you leave Mysore by 6am,you would be in Ooty by 10am for breakfast.

Yes possible,would be a little tiring though.Its a good hard 12-14hour drive from Hyderabad irrespective of the route you take,which means a 4am departure would see you reaching Goa by 4-6pm in the evening.Instead I would suggest do a stopover at either Kolhapur or Solapur or Bijapur(depending on your route)and arrive in Goa fresh for an early lunch so that you get to make full use of your day in Goa.With a one day drive from Hyd to Goa,the day you arrive in Goa would just be to sleep away!
I would definitely love to see Goa when its not over crowded. And this being off season, we will give better deals with the hotels I guess.
And need to consult my wife because more Sun = more Tan = ??!!

And I think Ooty drive is possible in 1 day as lucifer1881 did in his Bolero last year. I am familiar with this route as I have done it last year itself. And if it doesn't work out, I have options to stay at B'lore for a night as my cousin is in B'lore.

I am in two minds now, let me see where I will end up!
Old 14th April 2012, 00:35   #328
BHPian

Don't mean to offend anyone, especially Ranjitp1, but there are many "misleading" points in the below post and I would like to clarify them, lest others accept these as "facts".

Quote:
North to South goa takes not more than 2 hours. Approx 70kms between the South and North.
1. North to South Goa CAN take more than 2 hours, depending on which part of north and south Goa is being mentioned. A trip from Keri-Terekhol beach in North Goa to Palolem in south Goa can easily take over two hours.

Quote:
South Goa has peaceful beaches and almost every beach front forms the back side of some 5 star resort or the other. All the Five/Four star hotels and resorts are in South Goa.
2. North Goa has quite a few "peaceful" beaches, but they are not as well known as the "noisier" beaches in North Goa. Visit Ashwem, Morjim and Keri in North Goa and you will know what I mean.

3. Not all 4-5 star hotels are based in South Goa. There are quite a few in North Goa as well.

Quote:
South Goa is broadly the Salcette district of Goa while Bardez is the north goa district.
4. Salcete is merely one of the five talukas in South Goa, the others being Mormugao, Quepem, Sanguem and Canacona. Except for Sanguem taluka, the other four talukas have a coastline.

5. Similarly, Bardez is only one of the six talukas of North Goa, the others being Pernem, Bicholim, Sattari, Tiswadi and Ponda. The coastline talukas are Pernem, Bardez and tiswadi.

Quote:
North Goa is where you find all kinds of hotels and home stays.Except for the Taj and the recently open Hyatt,no five star hotels in Goa.None of the hotels have an opening to the beach in Goa.
6. "All kinds of hotels and home stays" are locate in South Goa as well. Besides the Taj and Hyatt, the other five star hotels located along the beachfront include Cidade de Goa and Marriott. In fact, there are other 5-star hotels in North Goa as well.

7. Cidade de Goa and Taj have an opening to the beach.

Quote:
North goa is where all the noise happens.South Goa is the place to go if you want a laid back holiday with pristine beaches.
8. Laid back holidays are available in North Goa as well. Two years ago, we stayed at a shack in Keri beach in Pernem and it was quite laid back. On the other hand, there is sufficient noise in South Goa as well. Colva is as busy as Calangute, while Palolem is also becoming noisy in recent times.

Quote:
A large majority of the beaches in the South are accessible only via the hotels.
9. On the contrary, there are numerous access points to beaches in south Goa WITHOUT passing through hotels. Visit Sernatatim, Benaulim, Betalbatim, Majorda, Velsao, Utorda, Agonda and other beaches in South Goa and you will know what I mean. All these mentioned beaches have direct and unhindered access.

Quote:
Accomodation in the south would be expensive as opposed to accomodation in the north.
10. This is far from truth. Accommodation in South Goa is as cheap or expensive as compared to North Goa beach. It all depends on the location of the accommodation (popular or unpopular beach) and distance from the beach (close or far from the beach front).

Last edited by misquitas : 14th April 2012 at 00:47.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 08:35   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response ranjitp1.
That's really helpful. I understand that the May can be hot, I never considered the humidity! Is it very humid in Goa around that time?

Remember its the month before monsoons starts. By that May should be in fact the most humid month of the year!
But if you are looking at a vacation where all you want to do is to eat, sleep, laze in a pool and walk along a beach during sunset,
I reckon Goa should be fun at such peak summer too!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 16:38   #330
BHPian

Thank you for your inputs misquitas & ampere. I have dropped the plan for Goa for this May. I will definitely like to visit Goa very soon though and these inputs will be very helpful.

I might be going to Ooty this time around.