Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st April 2012, 14:48   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Folks

There is a slender possibilty of me driving to Goa in June end. My uncle has a timeshare booking at Hathi Mahal, and he is occupying it only for 4 out of 8 days booked.

I googled for Hathi Mahal and came to know it is owned by Royal Goan Beach Resorts. The location is around 18 kms south-west of Madgaon, close to Leela Palace. Exact location is Cavelossim, Mobor, Salcette, Goa.

As this is in Central Goa, is it advisable to take the route via Bijapur->Athani->Sankeshwar->Amboli->Panjim, or the one via Hubli and Karwar?

I will be certainly staying overnight someplace on the way, as the check in time is 2 pm at Hathi Mahal. I know Bijapur and Ajra are good options on the route via N Goa, but what about options on the other route, say Hubli or Yellapur or Karwar?

And is it advisable to go to Hubli via Bijapur or via Raichur?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st April 2012 at 14:49.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 22:46   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Folks

There is a slender possibilty of me driving to Goa in June end. My uncle has a timeshare booking at Hathi Mahal, and he is occupying it only for 4 out of 8 days booked.

I googled for Hathi Mahal and came to know it is owned by Royal Goan Beach Resorts. The location is around 18 kms south-west of Madgaon, close to Leela Palace. Exact location is Cavelossim, Mobor, Salcette, Goa.

As this is in Central Goa, is it advisable to take the route via Bijapur->Athani->Sankeshwar->Amboli->Panjim, or the one via Hubli and Karwar?

I will be certainly staying overnight someplace on the way, as the check in time is 2 pm at Hathi Mahal. I know Bijapur and Ajra are good options on the route via N Goa, but what about options on the other route, say Hubli or Yellapur or Karwar?

And is it advisable to go to Hubli via Bijapur or via Raichur?

Thanks in advance.
To reach RGB resorts its easier to take the NH63 route Hubli Yellapur Karwar Madgaon Left turn to Mobor.Roads are excellent and wide till Karwar.Staying options plenty at Hubli and Karwar.Hubli Karwar is around 2hrs to 2.5hrs.Karwar Madgaon is another 2hrs.Mobor Madgaon another 30mins approx.Naveen,Metropole,Hans are all very good options at Hubli and are on the NH4.At Karwar Lotus River resport immediately after the Kali River bridge on NH17 is excellent.

I would suggest Raichur Hubli route if you are taking the Nh63option.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 22:57   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would suggest Raichur Hubli route if you are taking the Nh63option.
Many thanks. Why not the Homnabad->Bijapur->Bagalkot->Hubli route that @ampere suggested? Is that longer?

And what exactly is the route via Raichur to Hubli? Any eating joints on the way, or things to watch out for?
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:14   #334
BHPian

Both the routes via Hubli and Sankeshwar are good which I mentioned about 2weeks
back on my trip to Goa.The only differance Bijapur-Athani-Sankeshwar-Amboli is state highway but no pot holes and minimal traffic.
Raichur-Hubli-Karwar is through almost National highway standards roads.
After Raichur, Koppal has some eating places otherwise Hubli is good option for food.
At Budguppa cross you have a shorter route to Koppal do not miss out which is a newly laid good road.You have to take a right turn at this T junction as a flyover is being constructed as a part of four laning of Sholapur-Chitradurga road and after the down ramp of flyover you have to take left turn to reach the Koppal road.

Last edited by gajadonga : 22nd April 2012 at 22:18.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:32   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Many thanks. Why not the Homnabad->Bijapur->Bagalkot->Hubli route that @ampere suggested? Is that longer?

And what exactly is the route via Raichur to Hubli? Any eating joints on the way, or things to watch out for?
If you are going to South Goa, I think this would be better. You also get an option to break at Hubli (in case you need)

I think most people travel to North Goa and hence go via Amboli.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:38   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are going to South Goa, I think this would be better. You also get an option to break at Hubli (in case you need)

I think most people travel to North Goa and hence go via Amboli.
Yes, I am travelling to what could be called South Goa, or to be precise, central Goa, 15 kms south of Madgaon.

I was asking whether it is better to go to Hubli via Raichur or Bijapur->Bagalkot.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:44   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, I am travelling to what could be called South Goa, or to be precise, central Goa, 15 kms south of Madgaon.

I was asking whether it is better to go to Hubli via Raichur or Bijapur->Bagalkot.
I think Raichur would be worth looking at. For the very reason that its 100km lesser.
But what is the exact route from Raichur, I am not sure.

I think its the standard route via, Lingsugur/Kushtagi/Ron. But that would be good to confirm.
Again, not sure of road conditions here.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:16   #338
BHPian

@Vnabhi
the Raichur road is worse off compared to Bagalkot. It has ZERO facilities and fairly desolate and barren landscape and is boring. I travelled on it a year back, depending on the vehicle you may scrape your bottoms at a few places if you drive fast. It was not a big problem with my scorpio, though.

The Bagalkot road is much more easy on the eye and is definitely better to drive on.

Cheers
Rajesh
adzegeek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:20   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
@Vnabhi
the Raichur road is worse off compared to Bagalkot. It has ZERO facilities and fairly desolate and barren landscape and is boring. I travelled on it a year back, depending on the vehicle you may scrape your bottoms at a few places if you drive fast. It was not a big problem with my scorpio, though.

The Bagalkot road is much more easy on the eye and is definitely better to drive on.

Cheers
Rajesh
Thanks. I do remember going to Hampi via Raichur, and the route was indeed drab and boring. There were also too many speed-breakers on that route.
Now coming to the Bagalkot route, as it is supposed to be around 100 kms longer, I guess going via Bijapur-->Sankeshwar-->Amboli-->North Goa might be the same. And Amboli ghat during monsoons has some splendid views to offer.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:55   #340
BHPian

@vanbhi

I did North Goa-> Amboli -> Sankeshwar -> Bagalkot -> Raichur -> Mehboobnagar on one of the trips in one shot. and it was fine - I think it is somewhat less than the route you are suggesting and a bit more exciting. There are many ways to go between Bagalkot and Sankeshwar and only one is good rest are all country roads so one needs to pick the right one - I am lost which one I took.
This took me 13 hours straight a majority of later part was in night.

when I did Hyderabad - Zaheerabad - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Athani - Nippalni - Gadhinglaj - Amboli - Panaji once and it took me 15 hours.

PS: I used the turn off Banda village to go to Panjim all the times, as it has not rained in recent past when I was driving. Saved me a lot of hassle and time.
adzegeek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 11:02   #341
Senior - BHPian

For those going to Goa from hyd via solapur-pandharpur....

You need not go to kolhapur,
turn left at Miraj and travel on mhaisal-chikkodi-sankeshwar direct route.
The road is really good and easily cruise at 80-100 speed.
Chikkodi to sankeshwar is direct good road and you need not go to Nippani, just ask for direction at chikkodi.
You will touch old NH4 at the end of this road, turn right toward Sankeshwar, enter in sankeshwar town, take left turn toward gadhinglaj near petrol pump.
For stay, go to ajara, cross aajra town and travel 1-2 km toward amboli, on your left side, you will notice Hotel Minerva. Its a good hotel, i stayed there in the last week, rooms are really good and at half the price of kolhapur hotels. The hotel is really good.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 30th May 2012 at 11:08.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 11:38   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Chikkodi to sankeshwar is direct good road and you need not go to Nippani, just ask for direction at chikkodi.
@AP, How is the Bijapur-Athani-Chikkodi route? Just wanted to know, if this is good,
it would be worth taking the less traffic prone NH218 compared to NH9.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 11:43   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@AP, How is the Bijapur-Athani-Chikkodi route? Just wanted to know, if this is good,
@bijapur-athani-chikkodi route, i have no idea as i never traveled on that route.
Last week, i traveled on miraj-chikkodi-sankeshwar-ajra route and hence the route update from my side for that section.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:12   #344
Senior - BHPian

Route update: road condition in the last week of May 2012.

1] sankeshwar-gadhinglaj-aajra:---35 km--- no pot holes, rough surface here and there, much improved since last six months, easily cruise at 60-80.

2] Aajara-amboli: 35 km---best in condition, smooth surface, easily cruise at 80+, much improved, best in condition, drove this 35 km in 35 min flat.

3] amboli-danoli: ghat section is best in condition, road at the spot where landslide occured last monsoon has been resurfaced with concrete.

4] danoli-banda shortcut: i took this road last in nov 2011. since then, road is improved in sections. first 8 km is in best condition, 3 km is in work in prgress, there is mud road at some area due to work in prgress, last 5 km is narrow with rough surface. Do NOT travel on this road from now till NOV 2012. After completion of work, this shortcut will be favorit among us surely.

5] Banda-goa border: one side of road is wide with new tarmac. no problem.

6] goa border-panaji: best as usual.

7] goa border-banda-maharashtra police check post: as mentioned earlier, road till banda town is in good condition. banda to maharashtra police checkpost is really bad though much improved in last six months. just crawl at 20 km speed.

8] maharashtra police checkpost-sawantwadi: best in condition, new tarmac, much improved in last six months, no issue at all, can cruise at 60.

9] sawantwadi-amboli: best in condition.

10] aajara-uttur-maharashtra/karnataka border: best in condition, can cruise at 80, no potholes, smooth surface, wide road.

11] maharashtra/karnataka border on uttur road--hotel kaveri at tawandi ghat near nippani: this 10 km road is in bad condition, 3 km road is pot holed, rest 7 km road has rough surface best for max 50km speed. I don't see any issue not to take this route. If you are not afraid of 3km potholed road, then take this route. 3 km potholed road is not continuous 3 km but parts of 500 meters each at different location.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:27   #345
BHPian

Quote:

I had traveled the route from Goa to Hyderabad 2 months back.
The route taken was Goa-Amboli-Aajraa-Sankeshwar this route is good as
mentioned by ASHISHPALLOD.At Sankeshwar town we have to ask for directions
to Chikkodi.

From Chikkodi-Kagvad lot of lorry traffic but in good condition
without potholes only problem slowing down in the villages enroute.

Kagvad-Athani-Bijapur roads are in good condition.
Athani-Bijapur there are
isolated stretches so preferably day journey will be better.
From Bijapur the the roads are excellent upto Hyderabad

Last edited by gajadonga : 30th May 2012 at 13:29.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote