Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd July 2012, 13:02   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
Thanks, ranjitp1. Yesterday at the Hyd TBHP meet even mobike008 suggested this. Since we are travelling with kids we are thinking of stopping overnight at Bijapur. I will take up your suggestion of Hotel Pearl Bijapur.

BTW, are most roads safe to drive during monsoon or do we see caveins and landslides often along the way?

Thanks

Nothing to worry Krishnan.We do HYD-Goa all the time during the monsoons and so far no problems with any landslides.Amboli did face a landslide a couple of years back,but dont see that happening again as the mountains have been strengthened and there has been a lot of proactive repairs going on at Amboli before the monsoons even appeared.

The other option is to go via Solapur-Kolhapur-Radhanagari-Phondaghat-Kankavli-NH17.In this case,you could schedule your stay at Kolhapur which has a lot of good hotels and if you are religiously inclined then you could visit the Kolhapur Devi temple.Kolhapur-Madgaon wouldnt take more than 5hours via Amboli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ranjit,

Is it a suspect? I thought NH218 (Humnabad-Bijapur-Hubli always a good road.
Do correct me if I am wrong.
NH218 is lovely between Homnabad and Bijapur almost like a airport tarmac,but I have found it to be just the opposite between Hubli and Bijapur with potholes and lousy traffic.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:06   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit,

Is it a suspect? I thought NH218 (Humnabad-Bijapur-Hubli always a good road.
Do correct me if I am wrong.
I was also under the impression that this road is good throughout. Maybe the section from Hubli - Yellapur to Ankola is suspect during monsoons. That I presume is the ghat section (NH 67 according to google maps)
ksakotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:16   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was also under the impression that this road is good throughout. Maybe the section from Hubli - Yellapur to Ankola is suspect during monsoons. That I presume is the ghat section (NH 67 according to google maps)
No way! That section is phenomenal nowadays. Very wide and very nice.
During the mining times, it was really bad. But now that there are hardly mining trucks,
that section is very good.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:18   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No,Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola is excellent throughout the year as mining does not happen now a days,so no mining trucks.It is Bijapur-Hubli which is not so good,I guess Prabin has mentioned the same as well in one of his earlier posts.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:21   #365
BHPian

Quote:
No way! That section is phenomenal nowadays. Very wide and very nice.
During the mining times, it was really bad. But now that there are hardly mining trucks,
that section is very good.
Thanks, good to know. If the roads are safe in this route, I think the plus point for me (as I will be in South Goa) will be the Ankola - Karwar route. I guess it is very scenic from the posts of other TBHPians.

Krishnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No,Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola is excellent throughout the year as mining does not happen now a days,so no mining trucks.It is Bijapur-Hubli which is not so good,I guess Prabin has mentioned the same as well in one of his earlier posts.
Not sure I saw Prabin's post about this. Will go back and check. Anyway we are planning to halt at Bijapur and then leave early next day so that we can cover the ghat section during the daylight hours.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd July 2012 at 17:11. Reason: Go through rule 5b. Back to back posts
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:12   #366
BHPian

Sorry folks on catching up late on this thread. Yes, Bijapur-Hubli was not great when I travelled in Oct 11.

However, if I am going to South Goa in my Scorpio, I would take Biajapur-Hubli-Ankola-Margao instead of via Amboli ghat.

Day time driving and the car you are taking are the factors to consider the Bijapur-Hubli road....
prabingade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:32   #367
BHPian

Thank you Prabin.

Yes, we do plan on doing Bijapur - Hubli - Ankola leg during the day, leaving Bijapur early morning so that we can be in Margaon at least by late afternoon.

We are taking our Qualis Petrol. She is an old workhorse, and has been with us since 2004. Other than some body issues (which I plan to address) she has been a loyal member of our family

- Krishnan
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:14   #368
BHPian

I am planning Goa trip this weekend. But before I go to Goa, need to go to Kumta so will have to take the HYD- RAICHUR - SINDIGI - KOPPAL - HUBLI - ANKOLA road. Any update on the Mahbubnagar to Raichur road condition?
nityanand.s.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:31   #369
BHPian

Mahbubnagar to Raichur road condition are good.Some potholes nearing Karnataka border
before the Tungabadra river bridge.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:48   #370
BHPian

I am going to be in Goa in August during Aug 15th Week and will be staying in Varca area. From the suggestions pouring on this thread, I assume the best route would be:

Hyderabad --> Gulbarga --> Bijapur --> Hubli --> Ankola --> Varca, Goa.

Is this the best route? Or could there be any other option?

How would the following route be?

Hyderabad --> Kurnool --> Bellary --> Hubli --> Ankola --> Varca, Goa

All those travelling between now and August, appreciate your inputs on road conditions.

I would be driving during the day time, and usually start my drives between 4 and 5 in the morning.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 12:45   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
I am going to be in Goa in August during Aug 15th Week and will be staying in Varca area. From the suggestions pouring on this thread, I assume the best route would be:

Hyderabad --> Gulbarga --> Bijapur --> Hubli --> Ankola --> Varca, Goa.

Is this the best route? Or could there be any other option?

How would the following route be?

Hyderabad --> Kurnool --> Bellary --> Hubli --> Ankola --> Varca, Goa

All those travelling between now and August, appreciate your inputs on road conditions.

I would be driving during the day time, and usually start my drives between 4 and 5 in the morning.

Cheers,
@Ardy,

Pl let me know how your route analysis is working. I and family are leaving 2 weeks after you for Goa, booked in South Goa. Did you get inputs on monsoon / road conditions?

- Krishnan
Old 24th August 2012, 03:23   #372

Hello fellow BHPians,
I'm planning for a road trip from Hyderabad to Goa in my Scorpio.
I prefer daytime driving(early start-off) & smooth roads.
Need help regarding which route to take.
dr_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 06:03   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ark View Post
dr_ark,
Please update on which part of Goa is your destination? North? South? Panjim?

The route from Hyderabad depends on the above information.
Quote:
@Ardy,
Pl let me know how your route analysis is working. I and family are leaving 2 weeks after you for Goa, booked in South Goa.
Ardy, Sabby-069, Neilguy, Lucifer1881, Ravveendrra are the people I am aware who did Goa recently from Hyderabad. They can give you more details.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 07:27   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians,
We are leaving on 27th for South Goa. Plan to start from Miyapur at 12 noon, take the Hyd - Humnabad - Gulbarga - Jeevargi - Bijapur. Staying overnight at Bijapur, starting early morning next day via Hubli - Karwar - onto Park Hyatt. Return will also be the same, though we will decide the route as we go along. I am taking my Qualis.

I understand weather is ok. In any case we plan to stay put at the hotel. I am traveling with wife and 2 teenage sons.

- Krishnan
ksakotai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 10:47   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians,
Quote:
@Ardy,

Pl let me know how your route analysis is working. I and family are leaving 2 weeks after you for Goa, booked in South Goa. Did you get inputs on monsoon / road conditions?

- Krishnan
We took the following route on the way to Goa:

Hyderabad - Gadwal - Raichur - Hubli (Via Gangavati, Gadag) - Belgaum - Panaji - Varca

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-hydgoa.jpg

The roads between Gadwal and Raichur are not the best and one needs to be careful of the sudden pot-holes and undulations. Otherwise, the roads till Belgaum are pretty good. The ghat section after Belgaum are quite bad. I picked up a puncture on this route.

The overall drive on this route from door-to-door was 815 KMs.

The return was thro' Karwar and took the following route:

Varca - Karwar - Yellapur - Hubli - Gadag - Raichur - Mehboobnagar - Hyderabad.

Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries-goahyd.jpg

This route has all good road surfaces. You can easily do an overall average of 60 KMPH on this route. Since we reached Mehboobnagar during the afternoon, we had to negotiate traffic in the town, other than that the route is pretty clear and not too much of traffic.

The overall drive on this route was 765 KM.

On both the route, one needs to be careful of speedbreakers in Karnataka.

An early start enables breakfast at Raichur and lunch at Hubli. Vice-versa on the return trip.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote