Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd January 2013, 10:30   #481
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just wanted to know I see another route from Gadwal to Raichur further down on NH7. How is this route?

Route Link

At the cost of 25km, you get good 4-lane before deviating for Raichur. Any idea on this road?
That was an absolute no no road till recently. Did a quick search and found the same in the thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...lur-route.html (Hyderabad to Kollur route)

If any BHPian has taken the Gadwal road recently please update asap for the others benefit.

thanks.
prabingade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:34   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to know I see another route from Gadwal to Raichur further down on NH7. How is this route?

Route Link

At the cost of 25km, you get good 4-lane before deviating for Raichur. Any idea on this road?
That is exactly the question I had when I drove past that turning a few months back on the say from BLR to HYD.

I guess nobody has used that road from this forum. Another unknown factor is how easy it would be to cross Gadwal and Raichur on that road, apart from the general road condition.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:35   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess nobody has used that road from this forum. Another unknown factor is how easy it would be to cross Gadwal and Raichur on that road, apart from the general road condition.
I had traveled this route on the way back from Hampi to HYD on one of my trips, about a year ago. The road was perfectly motorable - largely decent surface - a little narrow with a few craters by the side of the road once in a while that one may need to avoid. The road had sparse traffic.

Passing through Gadwal is no issue at all - but budget for 15 mins or so to pass through some of the narrow roads in Raichur. You would need to ask for directions.

Overall, this route is certainly do-able, especially in the daytime - to be able to avoid some of the craters.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:43   #484
Team-BHP Support

While currently vacationing, planning my next vacation to Goa sometime in Feb'13

And, after driving on Gulbarga-Bijapur road last time, It's decided i will not take any other route except this one.

I would be keeping an eye out on this thread for road condition updates on that stretch till Feb.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:43   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
And, after driving on Gulbarga-Bijapur road last time, It's decided i will not take any other route except this one.
I heard about this section long back in a TL (I think Malwan TL by Uday). The description almost meant one of the best 2-lane NH around that region.

But then Ranjit mentioned that this section is not good at night as its too desolate. And coupled with the fact that south of Bijapur, towards Hubli,
the roads are not that great, I was not sure about how this can be best utilised.

I think people can do :

Hyderabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Bagalkot (bypass)-Lokapur-Yergatti-Belgaum-Amboli-North Goa.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd January 2013 at 18:46.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:50   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard about this section long back in a TL (I think Malwan TL by Uday). The description almost meant one of the best 2-lane NH around that region.

But then Ranjit mentioned that this section is not good at night as its too desolate. And coupled with the fact that south of Bijapur, towards Hubli,
the roads are not that great, I was not sure about how this can be best utilised.

I think people can do :

Hyderabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Bagalkot (bypass)-Lokapur-Yergatti-Belgaum-Amboli-North Goa.
The route mobike008 and most other Hydeez take is the one via Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Athani-Chikkodi-Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli ghat-Sawantwadi-Mapusa. It is not the one from Bijapur to Hubli and then to Goa.
Even this route has some narrow roads between Athani and Sankeshwar, sometimes a bit patchy.

Credit goes to Zappo for discovering this route long, long back.

Edit: I just realized that you were referring to the route from Bijapur to Belgaum via Bagalkot, and not to Hubli. We don't have recent updates on that route. I do remember someone taking that route more than a year ago.

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd January 2013 at 21:53.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:54   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The route mobike008 and most other Hydeez take is the one via Humnabad-Gulbarga-Bijapur-Athani-Chikkodi-Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli ghat-Sawantwadi-Mapusa. It is not the one from Bijapur to Hubli and then to Goa.
Even this route has some narrow roads between Athani and Sankeshwar, sometimes a bit patchy.

Credit goes to Zappo for discovering this route long, long back.
True. Thats why I was suggesting one via Belgaum. Because I see that Bagalkot-Belgaum has very good roads. They are SH roads.
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:28   #488
BHPian

We went to Goa for the New Year's and tried this route "Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jewargi-Bijapur-Athani-Chikodi-Gandiglaj-Ajra-Amboli Ghat-Sawantwadi-Goa". However, our GPS enabled smartphones misled us at several locations and we went an additional 50km and never even touched some of the places in our planned route. Eventually we had to spend the night in Chikkodi. The roads were horrible all along. We were completely fed up with our smartphones and longed for a *real* GPS device. Our phones were always showing us the shortest route (which routinely turned out to be the worst). We only wondered "Why the hell isn't there ONE SINGLE route to Goa, like we have one to BLR??"

Coming back, we took this route: "http://goo.gl/maps/IjkL8" after a lot of time spent researching on our tiny phone screens. Initially we planned to drive upto Gooty and then take the NH7, but we dropped the idea later as it was a whole 100km extra driving. We had good roads all along except for a few bad patches here and there and the usual crappy invisible speedbreakers in Karnataka. At Hubli we met another batch driving to AP equally confused about the route. They had apparently wasted time with their GPS devices until then.

We made good progress and the NH7 from mahboobnagar was what we needed at the end of the journey - 100km in one hour flat. We reached in 15 hours including 4 breaks each not more than 20min and a lot of confusion at Y-junctions with the GPS phones, and some U-turns arising from the confusion. 740KM in all.

All single driver - me. Would I do it again? Hell NO. I'd drive to BLR and back any day over this.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 00:00   #489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
All single driver - me. Would I do it again? Hell NO. I'd drive to BLR and back any day over this.
Yes that is a bad section. From Hubli you should have taken the road to Bijapur/Gulbarga/Humnabad.

GPS devices do given us good service. They are a good servant but a very bad master. We need to have a higher level
view of which route needs to be taken or planned. GPS should only help us execute that plan.
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:05   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is a bad section. From Hubli you should have taken the road to Bijapur/Gulbarga/Humnabad.
What bad section? Our return journey was so much better than the onward journey as the roads were motorable to a large extent. The route you suggested is slow and full of potholes.
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:20   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What bad section? Our return journey was so much better than the onward journey as the roads were motorable to a large extent. The route you suggested is slow and full of potholes.
- I thought the Humnabad-Bijapur is one of the best 2-NH sections.
- So is Bagalkot-Belgaum via Lokapur-Yergatti. Its a very good SH.

Can you please let me know which section you mentioned has pot holes?
I thought the above two sections were good. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:36   #492
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know and experienced, the stretch from Humnabad to Bijapur is excellent, save the bypass at Gulbarga. That is what most people have reported over the past 4 years.

Perhaps hellmet is referring to the stretch from Bijapur to Sankeshwar.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:54   #493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As far as I know and experienced, the stretch from Humnabad to Bijapur is excellent, save the bypass at Gulbarga. That is what most people have reported over the past 4 years.
Absolutely, that stretch has such a good surface, it doesnt get spoiled by rains etc. When I used this stretch last year in Feb, except the approach to Bijapur city which was horrible ( a few kms at most), it was a blistering fast highway

Jewargi onwards till Amboli Ghat was pretty good though single road and last stretch at Sawantwadi was bad for few kms due to road widening.

All in all, it was a satisfying route which enabled me to do goa in 10+ hours.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:06   #494
BHPian

Quote:
We went to Goa for the New Year's and tried this route "Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga-Jewargi-Bijapur-Athani-Chikodi-Gandiglaj-Ajra-Amboli Ghat-Sawantwadi-Goa". However, our GPS enabled smartphones misled us at several locations and we went an additional 50km and never even touched some of the places in our planned route. Eventually we had to spend the night in Chikkodi. The roads were horrible all along. We were completely fed up with our smartphones and longed for a *real* GPS device. Our phones were always showing us the shortest route (which routinely turned out to be the worst).
Can you tell me where you encountered the bad roads? I did this route for Christmas and I did not encounter any such horrible patches. With a Smart Phone I always search for the next big destination and not Goa. The only place where Google Maps will misguide you is from Athani to Chikkodi. Make sure to stick to SH12 till Sankeshwar.
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:26   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Can you tell me where you encountered the bad roads? I did this route for Christmas and I did not encounter any such horrible patches. With a Smart Phone I always search for the next big destination and not Goa. The only place where Google Maps will misguide you is from Athani to Chikkodi. Make sure to stick to SH12 till Sankeshwar.
The stretch from Zaheerabad to Humnabad is pretty bad. Athani is exactly where we got misguided and ended up on horrible roads in the dark, one place the car had to be driven on rocks. Next day from Chikkodi we were further misguided by GPS and locals onto a horrible road-less ghat section that nearly destroyed the car's underbody and tires. Never again will I take this route. I'll take NH7 and Raichur-Hubli-Dharwad if I ever have to drive to Goa again.