Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2006, 16:23   #16
BHPian
 
Knight Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

"what about the road before hubli called yellapur road"

Anoops, What do you say about this road man?? Or should I take the route mentioned by condor??
Knight Rider is offline  
Old 31st August 2006, 17:34   #17
DRC
BHPian
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cockpit
Posts: 907
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

I drove to Goa 2 weeks ago, and I took BNG- Shimoga- Jog- Karwar-goa route.
The road is excellent, except for 2km near karwar, and 7 km near Badravati.
This road is excellent, though narrow at times, but a very smoothh road. Traffic on this road is not veymuch, this makes it even better. and very scenic too. You also get to pass through Jog falls, which is very glorious at this time.

In fact I thought of taking Hubli route while returning, but my family voted out as we were to take chance on the unknown road.

I also heard that the Mangalore road is also turned bad.

Fuelling stations are aplenty, but no shell there. I refulled at Sagar, Karwar, Goa. Never had any quality issues.
DRC is offline  
Old 10th April 2007, 09:21   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Petrol Pumps on Route 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
you should get the Reliance pumps, unless you take route 2. not sure about route 2.
there's a reliance pump at sagar.

Suggestion: If you fill the tank in bangalore, please refuel at sagar (after shimoga) as there is no bunk till honnavar. sagar-honnavar is ghat section where your car will gulp more fuel. failing to refuel at sagar will increase your risk of being left with an empty tank even before u reach honnavar. I almost faced this situation but made it honnavar with the fuel indicator blinking..........
raju9918 is offline  
Old 20th April 2007, 10:13   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

If its not too late,
There is one other route which has not been mentioned, which is
Bangalore - Tumkur - Davangare - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta (via Devimane Ghat) - Join NH 17 at Mirjan and then onwards to Karwar. This route is reasonable all the way and should not take much time as well. The Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Shimoga - Honnavar route is good as well, it seems it has been relaid in some stretches a couple of months back. The Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar stretch is not in great shape apparently, am not sure if its being relaid before this year's monsoon. Please avoid at any cost the Dharwad - Londa - Goa road, its meant only for ATV's and not cars.
pypkmsrikanth is offline  
Old 20th April 2007, 12:08   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Read my Blr - Goa travelogue !!! You doubts regarding Sirsi route will be clarified...

Abhi
akroy is offline  
Old 10th August 2007, 10:10   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Read my Blr - Goa travelogue !!! You doubts regarding Sirsi route will be clarified...

Abhi
We have been having very heavy rains her in goa and adjoining areas for the last month. I wonder if this road is still holding up? I plan to drive to BLR in end september using this route as it is scenic, less traffic, and shortest. anyone use it lately?? Pl advise
goandude is offline  
Old 24th August 2007, 13:49   #22
BHPian
 
rajagopal_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Route to Bangalore from Goa (or Reverse)

Goandude,

I think the only route which is left which can possibly be used right now is Devimane ghat.

Goa -> Karwar -> Ankhola -> Mirjan -(left)-> Devimane Ghat -> Sirsi -> Haveri -> Davengere -> Tumkur -> Bangalore

The routes through Belgaum have always been the bad for years now. dont even bother with those.

The karwar -> Hubli (Karwar Road) is spoilt in the recent rains

Longer routes
Goa -> Mangalore -> Bangalore. This routes adds another 50Kms and used to be really good. I used it last weekend when I got back to b'lore from goa. I thank my stars i bought a Bolero and took it through Shirdi ghat, There was a poor Octy which got stuck on top of a some rocks and the car couldnt go in any direction! There were just no roads.

Probably the best road without any pot-holes etc is
Goa -> Sawanthwadi -> Amboli -> Belgaum -> (Pune-Blr) high way
The problem is this route adds more than 80Kms. Remember you are travelling towards bombay till Amboli and then turning back. But if time is not an issue, you love a long scenic drive, and comfort is the most important thing in the drive then this is a good route. Amboli is known for its waterfalls which are right on the main highway. Trust me if you have the time and you love scenery and the drive this is one of the most awesome routes.
rajagopal_j is offline  
Old 25th August 2007, 09:37   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajagopal_j View Post
Goandude,

I think the only route which is left which can possibly be used right now is Devimane ghat.

Goa -> Karwar -> Ankhola -> Mirjan -(left)-> Devimane Ghat -> Sirsi -> Haveri -> Davengere -> Tumkur -> Bangalore

The routes through Belgaum have always been the bad for years now. dont even bother with those.

.
Thanks. I will take this mirjan - sirsi route as also reccommended by hvkumar. mangalore is way too longer, so is abmoli. the latter would add another 200 km more IMO. will let you all know on monday.
goandude is offline  
Old 25th August 2007, 14:25   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,889 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajagopal_j View Post
Probably the best road without any pot-holes etc is Goa -> Sawanthwadi -> Amboli -> Belgaum -> (Pune-Blr) high way
The problem is this route adds more than 80Kms. Remember you are travelling towards bombay till Amboli and then turning back. But if time is not an issue, you love a long scenic drive, and comfort is the most important thing in the drive then this is a good route. Amboli is known for its waterfalls which are right on the main highway. Trust me if you have the time and you love scenery and the drive this is one of the most awesome routes.
I used this road 2 times in the last one year from Hyd-Goa and even i can vouch, it is extremely scenic and hardly any bad road maybe for a few bad patches. This even during monsoon, i used it same time last year and again early this year.
mobike008 is offline  
Old 27th August 2007, 08:41   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Update on Goa Blore route thru sirsi

Guys, I just arrived in blore from goa karwar sirsi haveri tunkur blore. Nh 17 is hell. mirjan sirsi is good. sirsi haveri is OK but rds very narrow so if anything coming other way you have to get one wheel off the rd. the shoulders of the rd are jagged, mud and stones. so you have to be careful. NH4 haveri to chitradurga is BAD. whatever little there is of the GQ is OK but the bypasses are not made and these roads are pathetic. One cant call them rods full of craters, 1st gear stuff. and to make matters worse, speedbreakers add to the fun. Chitradurga to blore is a breeze except tumkur bypass.
Timings, goa karwar 100 km 2.5 h, karwar sirsi 120 km 2.5 hrs, sirsi haveri 76 km 1.25 h, haveri chitradurga 141 km 2h 50 min, chitradurga blore 207 km 3 hrs. You can see from the above average speeds the condition of roads.
going back end of this week and wondering what better route to return..
goandude is offline  
Old 28th August 2007, 11:39   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Goandude,

I am planning to go to Goa from Bangalore this weekend. I am planning to take the Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Panaji route. Would you suggest taking this route? Are there enough Maruti workshops on this route? What do you do incase of a breakdown? I have a 10 year old esteem thats why I am a little concerned.

Please advise on this ASAP.

Thanks,
Rahul
rahul2842 is offline  
Old 29th August 2007, 08:20   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul2842 View Post
Hi Goandude,

I am planning to go to Goa from Bangalore this weekend. I am planning to take the Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Panaji route. Would you suggest taking this route? Are there enough Maruti workshops on this route? What do you do incase of a breakdown? I have a 10 year old esteem thats why I am a little concerned.

Please advise on this ASAP.

Thanks,
Rahul
As you can see from my post, the NH4 is in pathetic condition after Chitradurga. and I suppose it remains that way till Hubli, I had heard somewhere in this forum that the Hubli karwar route is also bad but canst say for certain. as for maruti service there should be a servie center in all minor towns that you pass on this route. at least they advertise that way. One bit of advise though is PLEASE be careful of the HUGE potholes on NH4. You could easlily damage your suspension if you hit some of them at speed. I plan to go back to goa the same way I came. aim being to void NH 4 as far as possible.
goandude is offline  
Old 30th August 2007, 11:13   #28
BHPian
 
rajagopal_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@Goandude, You might want to try the route through jog falls. Its more scenic than Sirsi, while you will be avoiding more travel on NH4. I cant remember the exact towns on the way. Its been a long time since i did that one. The distance would be more or less the same as Devimane ghat route. When are you planning to go back? Can tell you the towns if you can give me a day or two.
rajagopal_j is offline  
Old 30th August 2007, 11:36   #29
Hardy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi,

I suggest you to take the 2 or 3 both is fine but try to leave the city as early in the morning. As the journey takes not less than 14 hrs & also the number of stops u take. Its better to drive in the day. Night its possible that u miss the road as ur travelling for the first time.
 
Old 30th August 2007, 11:37   #30
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I drove to Goa 2 weeks ago, and I took BNG- Shimoga- Jog- Karwar-goa route.
The road is excellent, except for 2km near karwar, and 7 km near Badravati.
This road is excellent, though narrow at times, but a very smoothh road. Traffic on this road is not veymuch, this makes it even better. and very scenic too. You also get to pass through Jog falls, which is very glorious at this time.

In fact I thought of taking Hubli route while returning, but my family voted out as we were to take chance on the unknown road.

I also heard that the Mangalore road is also turned bad.

Fuelling stations are aplenty, but no shell there. I refulled at Sagar, Karwar, Goa. Never had any quality issues.
Can you tell me how many kms it is totally (possibly break up)? Where all did you find (veg) restaurents?

Did you take same route back? Is it decent enough route to drive in night?
sathya_nars is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Go..Goa..Gone! Road trip from Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Goa AmazeGuru Travelogues 24 2nd April 2016 11:05
Hyderabad -Belgaom-Goa and Goa -Hubli-Rayachur Road Trip dsreddy Travelogues 32 29th July 2013 16:55
Bem-Vindo ao Goa - Punto goes to Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore HarryB Travelogues 14 26th February 2012 20:37
What happens in goa stays in goa moralfibre The Team-BHP Meet Section 62 13th March 2008 12:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks