Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st May 2010, 16:23   #136
BHPian

I would suggest the Gaganbawda route(Pune-Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Vaibhavwadi-Talere-Kankavli-Sawantwadi-Panaji) if you are travelling in June. The distance is 467 kms.

The road conditions on the above route are excellent during the months from March-June because they get relaid every year from November to February.

To tell you honestly, I've been on all the above routes on many occasions.

The Radhanagari route is scenic. You wont see a soul on thr road for long distances except for MSRTC buses every 15 minutes. There is a lake on the top of the mountain.

The Uttur-Amboli or Sankeshwar-Amboli sections are like speed restrictors. I can't drive my car above 40-50 on these stretches.

During the other months I generally drive via Belgaum.(Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi). The distance to Panaji is around 505 kms.
Hudson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 16:50   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post

Aniket I remember you saying you wanted a week break from your hectic and frustrating work life/ schedule. Please, PLEASE leave all work/ city related thoughts at the first toll naka and just relax!!!

watch the movie "The Great Indian Butterfly" before leaving if you can
Thanks buddy ... I will keep this in mind. Sometimes few things eat your head a lot. I just wanna get rid of it. Going out with loved ones & drviing for long will surely make me feel good. I am feeling better from now only, no jokes. I will leave all thoughts related to work before i leave Pune. I will not allow them to enter in my car also I wanna go riding & just enjoy my trip.

Thanks all for good info.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I want the fastest route basically as i have small daughter with me. She generally gets panic in car if its a long drive. I am planning to start early morning, like 5 AM. So that i can reach Kolhapur by 8:30. I guess going by Umbraj - Chiplun road will be lengthy one & also tiring as ghats are there. So i guess going by Kolhapur is good option. Till kolhapur road is like a breeze. I can reach quickly there.
Aniketi, although I agree with you that reaching Kolhapur is a breeze, the road from Umbraj to Chiplun is not as lengthy and hilly as you are thinking. Actually, this road is quite fast and except for one ghat after Koyna dam (and even in this case, IIRC, you would be mostly going downhill on your way to Chiplun), there is no other ghat. In general, I found this to be the fastest way to go to Chiplun. Further, the NH17 southwards of Chiplun is very scenic and reasonably fast (you can do around 90 kmph more or less consistently). Therefore, my personal opinion and experience is that this road is the most "optimal" (in terms of speed as well as scenic route).

Since you are saying you want the fastest route, I suggest you should consider this route and may be try to find some latest information on this route.

But basically as I said, most roads from Pune to Goa are nice and it is always a pleasure to drive this route regardless of which one you take.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:32   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
1. The most optimal route I think is Pune-Umbraj (which is about 18 km before Karad on NH4)-Patan-Chiplun-Goa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Aniketi, although I agree with you that reaching Kolhapur is a breeze, the road from Umbraj to Chiplun is not as lengthy and hilly as you are thinking. Actually, this road is quite fast and except for one ghat after Koyna dam ..... In general, I found this to be the fastest way to go to Chiplun. Further, the NH17 southwards of Chiplun is very scenic and reasonably fast (you can do around 90 kmph more or less consistently). .
The road from Patan to Chiplun SH 78? is heading backwards in nearly NW direction of both NH17 and NH4 it's like getting on to the NH204 from the NH4 to go on to the NH17. Similar direction.

And I've just been on the NH17 I couldn't do speeds like I used to do earlier. The road maybe freshly tarred but it's heavy with traffic. You can't do 90/100 kms from Sangemeshwar to Sawantwadi anymore.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 10:24   #140
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i forgot to ask one question, sorry about that. I generally don't carry original papers of the car with me. Do i need to carry all original papers of the car with me to go to Goa? Any formalities needed or tax to be paid to enter in Goa for a private vehicle? Please confirm.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Guys, i forgot to ask one question, sorry about that. I generally don't carry original papers of the car with me. Do i need to carry all original papers of the car with me to go to Goa? Any formalities needed or tax to be paid to enter in Goa for a private vehicle? Please confirm.
No taxes to be paid,but as a rule,it is recommended to carry all original documents whenever you travel out of state.Make sure you have your PUC certificate upto date as well.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 10:34   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No taxes to be paid,but as a rule,it is recommended to carry all original documents whenever you travel out of state.Make sure you have your PUC certificate upto date as well.
Thanks Ranjit for reminding me about PUC. I completely forgotten that stupid thing. We maintain our cars really well, minimum pollution. But we see public vehicles, transport vehicles, corporation vehicles spreading hell lot of pollution on road. Police wont catch them but when we are caught they will ask us first PUC. I have fight over this 2-3 times with police. But it didn't helped

Anyways i will carry PUC for sure.
Old 1st June 2010, 13:13   #143
BHPian

aniketi, don't fret over stuff like why the police do not catch bigger polluting vehicles and only cars/bikes - we could be discussing that forever!

Just make sure you have all originals (make a copy and keep those at home) + PUC done (its a 5 minute job anyways) and that your car is serviced/checked before you leave.
Enjoy your drive and stay.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 15:05   #144
BHPian

Default need suggestion

Planning to take up pune-goa via kolhapur-nipani-sawantwadi route.

I have my wife and 2 yr old kid for company.

Starting around 6pm and so planning to halt at either kolhapur or nipani, as per convenience.
Start the next day as early as possible so that i can reach dona sylia near Cavelossim Beach.

Please help with any pointers to route, where to halt for night and other inputs
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 19:08   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post

Starting around 6pm and so planning to halt at either kolhapur or nipani, as per convenience.
Kolhapur is a better option than Nippani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Please help with any pointers to route, where to halt for night and other inputs
Raysons Regency (www.raysonsregency.com),Opal(www.hotelopal.co.in), Hotel Pearl are some of the good places to stay.

On the other hand if you do an early morning start from Pune,it would save you the hassles of staying @ K'pur.A 3-4am start from Pune would ensure that you reach Cavelossim by 11am.This would be a much better option than staying enroute.
Old 21st June 2010, 14:35   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
On the other hand if you do an early morning start from Pune,it would save you the hassles of staying @ K'pur.A 3-4am start from Pune would ensure that you reach Cavelossim by 11am.This would be a much better option than staying enroute.
i thought that wagonr would need much more time and thought that if i start at 3-4am,
cannot reach cavelossim before 2pm.
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 14:08   #147
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to do Mumbai-Pune- Kohlapur-Nippani-Sawantwadi-Goa on 5 July. Need advice/ first hand information regarding the present condition of roads. Would certainly update bout the condition of the roads on completion of my journey.
Sea Cruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:22   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
Hi,
I am planning to do Mumbai-Pune- Kohlapur-Nippani-Sawantwadi-Goa on 5 July. Need advice/ first hand information regarding the present condition of roads. Would certainly update bout the condition of the roads on completion of my journey.
BOM-Pune Expressway,Pune-Nippani NH4/Nippani-Sawantwadi ok roads.

Alternatively you could drive upto Belgaum and take the NH4A(but please check at Belgaum regards the conditions of NH4A,this is the route via Londa-Ponda-Panjim),if its South Goa,then this is the preferred route,however conditions of this stretch keep changing on a weekly basis thanks to the mining trucks.If this route is not good,then you could take the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi stretch and reach Goa via NH17.

Please do not take any detours before Sawantwadi as you would encounter a board saying Panjim 60kms enroute,that one is a dirt track and non-motorable.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:00   #149
BHPian

Hi,

I plan to do the Goa trip sometime in the middle of august.

The route and plan i had is leave Thane after lunch and reach Belgaum for dinner - 7 hours at a decent pace.

Stop at Sankam Residency (my favourite) overnight and for dinner and leave Belgaum next morning around 7am to reach Goa by ???? Would like to reach north goa - bagga etc.

Been reading that the road conditions should be okay - though dont know with more rainfalll yet to come how it will be later. The other alternative is to stay back in Kolhapur and continue the next day.

I plan to leave wednesday afternoon from Thane and reach Goa thursday afternoon. Plan to return from Goa sunday early morning and do a non stop Thane. Is that do able on the same route?

Thanks
Vijay
vij4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 12:24   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij4all View Post
Plan to return from Goa sunday early morning and do a non stop Thane. Is that do able on the same route?
Easily doable.A 10-11am departure from Goa will ensure that you reach Thane by 8pm latest.