Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th June 2010, 12:56   #151
BHPian

I did take the Pune-Goa route recently. Please take a look at My Scorp(and me!) gets another Pune-Kerala trip! with pics! Plan to spend some time in Amboli ghat as it will be really beautiful during monsoon.
CasperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 16:23   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij4all View Post
Hi,The route and plan i had is leave Thane after lunch and reach Belgaum for dinner - 7 hours at a decent pace.

Stop at Sankam Residency (my favourite) overnight and for dinner and leave Belgaum next morning around 7am to reach Goa by ????Plan to return from Goa sunday early morning and do a non stop Thane. Is that do able on the same route?
This is a good idea leaving late and stopping at belgaum. This early morning start causes too much gadbad. Hows the hotel and whas the rates like.
Yep like ranjit says return is doable cos you don't even have to get into bombay traffic like us mumbaikars. Straight after thurbe to thane. Lucky you!
Post details of road conditions please
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 13:41   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
This is a good idea leaving late and stopping at belgaum. This early morning start causes too much gadbad. Hows the hotel and whas the rates like.
Yep like ranjit says return is doable cos you don't even have to get into bombay traffic like us mumbaikars. Straight after thurbe to thane. Lucky you!
Post details of road conditions please
Here you go Buddy

HOTEL SANKAM RESIDENCY, BELGAUM* - sankam, belgaum, business hotel in belgaum, hotels in belgaum, belgaum hotels, hotels of belgaum, star hotels of belgaum, hospitality, travel, room reservation, accomodation, hotels in north karnataka
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 16:19   #154
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sahir, I remember one hotel for childhood days passing by bus. Ramdev. The bus would stop for Lunch/dinner or breakfast can't remember. It had a nice garden with flowers then.
regards
Old 1st July 2010, 18:52   #155
BHPian

Default help with this route

i am planning to take up this route:
pune-kolhapur-nipani-ajara-amboli-sawantwadi-goa

i am doubtfull about the amboli section.
is it a good route ?
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 19:23   #156
BHPian

from kolhapur you can take the phonda route and join the old bombay goa road .the road is good and now the senery will be great ,avoid crossing at night as road is pretty lonely.
rahultomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 20:44   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
i am planning to take up this route:
pune-kolhapur-nipani-ajara-amboli-sawantwadi-goa

i am doubtfull about the amboli section.
is it a good route ?
the route via Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli is a better route at the moment as the road is slightly wider as compared to Nipani.

Alternately you could drive upto Belgaum and take the NH4A via Londa-Anmod-Mollem National Park-Ponda-Panjim.This road has been recently re-carpeted and is in very good condition as of last week.If South Goa is your destination,you could take this route.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 16:12   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Thanks Sahir, I remember one hotel for childhood days passing by bus. Ramdev. The bus would stop for Lunch/dinner or breakfast can't remember. It had a nice garden with flowers then.
One of the best that I have tried en route Goa. No frills, large rooms, clean bathrooms, hot water, 600 bucks per night, and an exotic udupi restaurant downstairs. What more do you want after a long day's drive, and before another day's drive? Highly recommended
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:11   #159
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Goa from Pune. In coming month.

I need a help on following:

1) I am a new driver and have been communting on my car to office and back daily but nothing more than that. So is it adviseable to do this trip or should I wait a bit longer. I am planning to drive in day light only.

2) If at all it is adviseable, please suggest a comparitvely traffic free road (distance from Pune is not a problem, I would like to have an issue free drive), another thing to keep in mind is that we are two couples travelling, so there should de some decent places to stop.

3) Documentation to carry to avoid police harassment.

4) Any other suggestion!

P.s: My car is a diesel Figo!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:22   #160
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the NH4 till Belgaum and then the Amboli ghats. Also note that you would have some ghats to drive over and there might be heavy rains in that stretch. So excercise caution when you drive.
And NH4 tends to get crowded till Kolhapur. So starting at 4 am or so from Pune can ensure that you cross Kolhapur before 8 when the traffic is thin, especially of two wheelers.
Carry all documents (copies to show when police stops and originals in case of any accidents).
That includes Vehicle registration, PUC, Insurance, DL.
Drive out if you are confident. Keep a watch for vehicles on wrong side. Leave the right lane to people who are experienced and use it only to overtake. Drive slow. First trips will be so inviting, that one tends to forget where the needle is hovering. Once you gain some confidence and know how your figo handles, you can hit the pedal, albeit safely.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:57   #161
BHPian

If you have not done ANY highway trips earlier then some parts might be a bit tricky - (especially on the 2 lane highways NH17 or state highways). Ideally do a couple of small trips - say anywhere in Konkan (Raigad/Ratnagiri district)

That would give you a handle on the higher speeds on some stretches e-Way/NH4/NH17 as well as navigating small 2 lane state highways and ghats like Varandha/Tamhini/Borghat (khandala) especially in the monsoon downpours.

If you can't spare the time, then my advice is start early (less traffic, body is fresh/alert), be confident, take as many small breaks as you want (if you aren't used to driving long distances, keep your eyes open (anticipation is key), do no hog the right lane and go at 65kph! , just use common sense and you will find that you have done your first long trip without hassles :-) So enjoy it and do not worry too much.

Yes make sure to get your car checked before a long-ish trip )for basic stuff. (even though its new?)
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:30   #162
Senior - BHPian

Thanks MX6 and Abhay for prompt replies. Yes I would now do a few smaller trips before that and try and get a feel of the Ghat driving. Thanks again!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:48   #163
Senior - BHPian

anilisanil you need to be prepared for one ghat climbing up afte r pune which is a one way only and one ghat amboli going downwards here the road will be bad after the rains. On the way back you need to climb the amboli ghat as for the other ghat near pune you have a tunnel where you need to take care for traffic coming the wrong side and also for the shar right turn after the tunnel. Cos you will be at high speed here.

check the post in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...hapur-goa.html you will get an idea as to where you need to turn. I would suggest at sankeshwar to get off the NH4 and drive towards amboli and on to the NH17. When you go down the amboli ghat and after it ends there is a village called DANOLI I think.. Do not take a left turn here even if the sign board says so many kms to banda and panjim. Drive down to sawantwadi and take your left turn there. On the way back remember to turn right after the sawanwadi bus stand and also after you climb the amboli ghat about 3 or 4 kms there is a left turn towards ajra gadinglag and sankeshwar. Straight wil take you to belgaum

as for restaurants you have a mcdonalds out of pune then sai international about 31 kms before kolhapur. Up at amboli you have a kamaats. Fuel bunk at Kolhapur Shell HP etc.
yep go down the ghat in the same gear you would use to climb. Do not drive down the ghats in neutral or use too much brakes with the clutch pedal depressed. Keep it in gear all times going down.
See the other thread for photos etc..

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 23rd July 2010 at 16:56.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:42   #164
BHPian

Default Bombay - South Goa August run : road condition query

Calling all NH4 and Goa route experts.

I have planned a Bombay to South Goa run in August with the following route :

Bombay - (Expressway) - past Pune on the Mumbai Pune Bypass Road-(NH4)-Satara- (NH4)-Umbraj-past Kolhapur on NH4-Belgaum -(NH4A)-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-(NH4A)-past Mollem National Park -(NH4A)-Ponda-NH17-Margao (NH17/Abade Faria Road).

1.What is the condition of the road after Belgaum, onto Anmod?
2.Is it safe to travel on the stretch from Khanapur - Anmod - past Mollem National Park at dusk?
3. If the road condition after Belgaum through to Anmod and beyond is poor, is the following route good : Belgaum-(NH4)-Nipani -Tawandi- Nipani/Ajra Link Road-Amboli/Gadhinglaj Road- Amboli/Ajra Road-Ajra-Amboli/Ajra Road-Sawantwadi Road-Amboli-(SH121)-Sawantwadi-(NH17)-Banda-Pernem-Bardez-Panjim-Margao

Do advise.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 20:44   #165
BHPian

Default Bombay - South Goa August run : road condition query

Calling all NH4 and Goa route experts.

I have planned a Bombay to South Goa run in August with the following route :

Bombay - (Expressway) - past Pune on the Mumbai Pune Bypass Road-(NH4)-Satara- (NH4)-Umbraj-past Kolhapur on NH4-Belgaum -(NH4A)-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-(NH4A)-past Mollem National Park -(NH4A)-Ponda-NH17-Margao (NH17/Abade Faria Road).

1.What is the condition of the road after Belgaum, onto Anmod?
2.Is it safe to travel on the stretch from Khanapur - Anmod - past Mollem National Park at dusk?
3. If the road condition after Belgaum through to Anmod and beyond is poor, is the following route good : Belgaum-(NH4)-Nipani -Tawandi- Nipani/Ajra Link Road-Amboli/Gadhinglaj Road- Amboli/Ajra Road-Ajra-Amboli/Ajra Road-Sawantwadi Road-Amboli-(SH121)-Sawantwadi-(NH17)-Banda-Pernem-Bardez-Panjim-Margao?

Approximately how much time should I plan for from the time that I go past Hinjewadi to Margao?

Do advise.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote