Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th July 2010, 23:20   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Calling all NH4 and Goa route experts.

I have planned a Bombay to South Goa run in August with the following route :

Bombay - (Expressway) - past Pune on the Mumbai Pune Bypass Road-(NH4)-Satara- (NH4)-Umbraj-past Kolhapur on NH4-Belgaum -(NH4A)-Khanapur-Ramnagar-Anmod-(NH4A)-past Mollem National Park -(NH4A)-Ponda-NH17-Margao (NH17/Abade Faria Road).

1.What is the condition of the road after Belgaum, onto Anmod?
2.Is it safe to travel on the stretch from Khanapur - Anmod - past Mollem National Park at dusk?
3. If the road condition after Belgaum through to Anmod and beyond is poor, is the following route good : Belgaum-(NH4)-Nipani -Tawandi- Nipani/Ajra Link Road-Amboli/Gadhinglaj Road- Amboli/Ajra Road-Ajra-Amboli/Ajra Road-Sawantwadi Road-Amboli-(SH121)-Sawantwadi-(NH17)-Banda-Pernem-Bardez-Panjim-Margao?

Approximately how much time should I plan for from the time that I go past Hinjewadi to Margao?

Do advise.

Regards
Just got back from Goa Day before. Went through the Mahad, Ranagiri Road. I HAVE NEVER SEEN such heavy rains in a day. Left at 1 in the afternoon and only made it till Sawantwadi at 11 in the night. AS the evening set in visiblity was down to 10% with the heavy rains and the constant ghats added to the woes. In all super adventure. The road conditions are fantastic all the way.

While coming back, took the Anmod, Belgaum, Pune way and that road is fantastic too. Left at 9 in the morning, made it to Mumbai at 8 in the evening. This is only with one halt for lunch and this had heavy rains too. On some stretches did manage 130's and 140's.

Only thing i would advice people to watch out for on the Begaum route is water puddles and aquaplaning. It can get super dangerous with water being filled just about anywhere on the highway all the way till Pune. Can catch you off balance and cause an accident. VERY CAREFUL.

Check proper pressure and tire condition before setting out on such a trip
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 23:23   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1.What is the condition of the road after Belgaum, onto Anmod?
reported as very good by someone who did this stretch 2 weeks back.
Quote:
2.Is it safe to travel on the stretch from Khanapur - Anmod - past Mollem National Park at dusk?
no safety issues on this road,however after dark the forest cover could get onto your senses,especially if it begins to rain.Advisable to come down the ghat and reach Molem latest by 5-6pm.

Quote:
3. If the road condition after Belgaum through to Anmod and beyond is poor, is the following route good : Belgaum-(NH4)-Nipani -Tawandi- Nipani/Ajra Link Road-Amboli/Gadhinglaj Road- Amboli/Ajra Road-Ajra-Amboli/Ajra Road-Sawantwadi Road-Amboli-(SH121)-Sawantwadi-(NH17)-Banda-Pernem-Bardez-Panjim-Margao?
take the sankeshwar turn off and go via Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-S'wadi-NH17.Expect the roads to be broken in and around S'wadi as the area has been receiving quite a lot of rainfall for the past couple of days.

Quote:
Approximately how much time should I plan for from the time that I go past Hinjewadi to Margao?
Hinjewadi to Kolhapur will take you around 4-5 hours.

If you are taking the NH4A,Kolhapur-Belgaum will take you around 2 hours.

Belgaum-Panjim would take another 3-4 hours(160kms)as speeds would drop in the ghats.

If via Amboli,then Kolhapur-Panjim would take you around 5 hours.

All in all,Pune-Panjim would take you around 8-9hours with decent amount of breaks at an avg speed of 70-80.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 09:52   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Calling all NH4 and Goa route experts.
3. If the road condition after Belgaum through to Anmod and beyond is poor, is the following route good : Belgaum-(NH4)-Nipani -Tawandi- Nipani/Ajra Link Road-Amboli/Gadhinglaj Road- Amboli/Ajra Road-Ajra-Amboli/Ajra Road-Sawantwadi Road-Amboli-(SH121)-Sawantwadi-(NH17)-Banda-Pernem-Bardez-Panjim-Margao

Do advise.

Regards
If you are taking Nipani-Amboli you dont have to touch Belgaum at all. Much before Belgaum you take a right turn. Watch out for a dhaba name Kaveri, you cant miss it, just after Tawandi ghats. The road should be reasonably ok. If you miss it not to worry, take the next right at Sankheshwar like Ranjit said, Ghandinglaj road. Point to note it is keep a watch for right turn just around Tawandi ghats. Once you hit Sawantwadi, you can touch NH17 and from then on it is straight forward. I have taken this road twice both during day time and no issues at all. I left Calangute, Goa at 10:30 AM and was in Warje, Pune by 6:15 PM. This with an hour long break at Vittal Kamath, Amboli for lunch. Add another 15-20 minutes for Hinjewadi.

But since you are going to south Goa, you can try the NH4A route as well. I did not use the route as NH4A was in bad shape. But now recent reports it is in great shape.

I normally do Warje - Kohlapur in 3.5-4 hours,depends on what time I start as one spends time at toll gates. Kohlapur - Belgaum is 1:15 - 1:30. This stretch is a belter with much less traffic and great roads.

Have a safe trip mate.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 13:26   #169
BHPian

Planning to drive Pune to Goa (convoy of 4 Innovas) this Sunday. What's the status on Amboli ghat / road conditions? Is Radhanagari the best option, if we need to go via Sawantwadi?

Sorry for cross posting and TIA!
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 15:52   #170
Senior - BHPian

Yes Radhanagari is the best option if you want to do the NH4-Sawantwadi combo,else the NH4A via Londa-Ponda-Mollem is the way to do it.I guess Amboli is best avoided this year.
Old 29th August 2010, 21:28   #171
BHPian

Default Pune to GOA

Hi there, I have been travelling to Belgaum very frequently ( every 15days) and in the past 2months , been twice to Goa as well. Hence my advice would be as under.
From Pune-Koregaon Park, it takes 5hrs to Belgaum Eefa hotel ( Excellent roads) (30mins stop for b'fast or lunch included).
Belgaum to Goa(fairly good roads) max2hrs.
Total 7hrs.
Take NH4 from Pune to Satatra-Kohlapur- Belgaum & via Londa/ponda to Goa.
If you need more info pls do write back.
Rgds
Narayan
Drivealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:24   #172
BHPian

Hi

I did Pune - Goa this weekend 3rd to 5th Sep in my Wagon R.

My onward as well as return journey was through NH 4A as rightly suggested by many in the forum.

There were heavy rains and immense fog in between Molem and Anmod.
ZERO visibility at night. Although there was fog on the return leg too, since it was day time it was not much of a hassle.

Heard from locals that the Amboli ghat has now opened - even for travelling at night.

Hope this helps "Goa Goers" specially with the Long weekend around the corner.

Thanks
Sandip
sandip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 11:57   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post
Hi

I did Pune - Goa this weekend 3rd to 5th Sep in my Wagon R.

My onward as well as return journey was through NH 4A as rightly suggested by many in the forum.

There were heavy rains and immense fog in between Molem and Anmod.
ZERO visibility at night. Although there was fog on the return leg too, since it was day time it was not much of a hassle.

Heard from locals that the Amboli ghat has now opened - even for travelling at night.

Hope this helps "Goa Goers" specially with the Long weekend around the corner.

Thanks
Sandip
Thanks for the info sandeep. Can some one confirm on the amboli ghat route ?
I am leaving from pune tomorrow - 4 - 4.30 Am, Had planned to stick to the kolhapur - belgaum - goa route.
Advice needed.

Last edited by kenpachigamer : 8th September 2010 at 11:59.
kenpachigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 12:59   #174
BHPian

Just got back from Goa. Went via Radhanagiri, came back via Amboli. Thick fog both ways, road at Amboli where land slide happened is still kuccha, and narrow. But it *is* motorable. If you are going to Panjim and south, take the Belgaum route, that will be easier. Even a short drive up from Panjim to north is better than taking the Amboli one in this condition.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 13:18   #175
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Kenpachi. Guess you should take the Belgaum route. I'd take that if I were you! As told, check with Extreme_torque. He's having a budget trip to Goa over the weekend. You guys can meet up if ok.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 13:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

Even I'll be driving from Pune to Goa tomorrow (9th Sept.) morning at 5-5:30AM. I will be taking Pune-Belgaum-Londa-Anmod-Ponda route since I'm not sure about Amboli ghat's condition. Can someone confirm the road condition of above route please?

I always took Pune-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim route.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 13:58   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Just got back from Goa. Went via Radhanagiri, came back via Amboli. Thick fog both ways, road at Amboli where land slide happened is still kuccha, and narrow. But it *is* motorable. If you are going to Panjim and south, take the Belgaum route, that will be easier. Even a short drive up from Panjim to north is better than taking the Amboli one in this condition.
@determinus thanks a lot for clarifying about the conditions, I will be staying in south goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Kenpachi. Guess you should take the Belgaum route. I'd take that if I were you! As told, check with Extreme_torque. He's having a budget trip to Goa over the weekend. You guys can meet up if ok.
Mx6 yep, I will stick to my original route now

@Hammerhead, lets catch up in goa / enroute / starting point
kenpachigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 18:12   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Just got back from Goa. Went via Radhanagiri, came back via Amboli. .
determinus, how was the Radhnagiri route?
Thanks in Advance
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 10:08   #179
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

I'm driving from Pune to Goa on Oct 23, and was wondering if anyone has done this route in the last month. If yes, which of the following options are in a better condition right now?

1. Pune - Kolhapur - Nippani - Turn right on NH4 at Hotel Kaveri after Tawandi Ghat - Uttur - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Panaji

2. Pune - Kolhapur - Nippani - Turn right on NH4 at Sankeshwar - Gandhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Panaji

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 12:19   #180
Senior - BHPian

Best at the moment is via NH4A. Kolhapur-Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Ponda-Panjim.Enter Belgaum town and ask anybody for the Goa road.The road is extremely scenic and goes through the Mollem National Park.There might be a small stretch which is bad between Khanapur and Londa.