Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th September 2011, 00:15   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pune to Goa - advice on planned route would be appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratt View Post
Hi - I'm driving down from Karjat to Goa on 6th Oct , and am trying to decide between the best route for this period. Options being:
A. the NH4 route - from Karjat on to the expressway then Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar- Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi and on to Goa , or
B. the NH 17 route - from Karjat to PEN - Chiplun -.....- Goa
My decision would be based on road conditions and driving comfort primarily. Appreciate advise, and if anyone has done this recently, inputs would be highly appreciated
Take the NH4 route,you would have to endure only lesser sections of nh17(from sawantwadi to goa).The entire drive via nh17 is going to be a tiring one and add to it bad road conditions at several places.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 19:24   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratt View Post
Hi - I'm driving down from Karjat to Goa on 6th Oct , and am trying to decide between the best route for this period. Options being:
A. the NH4 route - from Karjat on to the expressway then Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar- Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi and on to Goa , or
B. the NH 17 route - from Karjat to PEN - Chiplun -.....- Goa
My decision would be based on road conditions and driving comfort primarily. Appreciate advise, and if anyone has done this recently, inputs would be highly appreciated
I just did Pune Goa (pune-kolhapur-nippani-uttur-ajra-sawantwadi-goa) it is in the best of condition except for the stretch between sawantwadi and goa entry on NH17. We were able to do the stretch in 13 hrs on a bike including breaks. you cannot miss the beautiful amboli ghat on the way.
I had taken the gagan bawda route sometime back.

Try and avoid as much of NH17 as possible but then Belgam ponda route is also not advisable
Shashidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:30   #228
BHPian

Hi I would be driving from Pune to Goa within a fortnight and would appreciate some advice as to the condition of the roads and the driving comfort on the ghats if I were to do Pune to Goa via Belgaum and anmod ghats - look forward to your inputs
DRIVEPASSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 14:49   #229
BHPian

Hi eagerly awaiting responses - would look forward to your expertise considering the information available is pretty fragmented and does not give adequate inputs
Old 9th December 2011, 16:15   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hi eagerly awaiting responses - would look forward to your expertise considering the information available is pretty fragmented and does not give adequate inputs

please go through the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-goa-44.html
you will find all information here.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 12:50   #231
BHPian

I would like to do Pune to Goa via Belgaum and Anmod ghats next week could you please advise me as to:

1. Present road condition
2. The duration - severity and distance of climb considering that my son
suffers from motion sickness so would have to factor in need based halts
for evident reasons.
Old 10th December 2011, 17:16   #232
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to do Pune to Goa via Belgaum and Anmod ghats next week could you please advise me as to:

1. Present road condition
2. The duration - severity and distance of climb considering that my son
suffers from motion sickness so would have to factor in need based halts
for evident reasons.
I just got back from Goa and based on my travel, I would say that the road condition from Belgaum to Goa via Amboli and Sawantwadi is fine except for a 4 Km stretch from Sawantwadi to Goa border on the NH 17 whre 4 laning work is going on. As for getting from Pune to Belgaum, stick to NH 4 as a lot of work seems to be going on on NH 17 in Maharastra. In fact if you are getting down from Pune, you might want to the road from Sankleshwar-Ajra to Amboli instead of going till Belgaum as this will save you quite a bit of time. The State Highways are in good condition, if a bit narrow, and there is no need to shy away from them.

As far as the road sickness issue is concerned, the climb in the ghat section of Amboli/Sawantwadi does not have any major elevation issues, however, the roads are extremely winding. This may be an issue for your child and you may want to resort to medication to tide over this. Remember that all the SHs will be of the winding variety and for this you might want to stick on NH 4 till Belgaum. That said, from the scenery point of view, the Ajra-Amboli drive is quite nice!

Hope this helps. Enjoy!!

PS: I drove down from Mumbai and did a night halt at Satara. From Satara, I started at 0900 and reached Goa at 1530 with a 45 min lunch break.

Last edited by neel385 : 10th December 2011 at 17:18.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 17:22   #233
BHPian

Smile Re: Pune to Goa - advice on planned route would be appreciated

Neel

I am okay with what you suggest - considering I would be driving in from Delhi on my way to Goa - could you also tell me how is Anmod Ghat - should I chance that extra 50 odd Kms

- DRIVEPASSION
Old 10th December 2011, 17:41   #234
BHPian

Neel

How about the amboli section which is not in great shape due to landslide that happened during monsoons a couple of months back
Old 10th December 2011, 20:49   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION
Neel

How about the amboli section which is not in great shape due to landslide that happened during monsoons a couple of months back
Nh4A is back to being in bad condition.not advisable to take it.Amboli is in good shape except for some rough patches.Take the sankeshwar gadhinglaj amboli sawantwadi goa route.pune to goa via this route should take you approx 9hours with breaks in between.The ghats are not that treacherous and are very simple to negotiate.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 10th December 2011 at 20:52.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 23:52   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Neel

Please PM me with the Time intended to do Belgaum - Goa. I will draft u a route which will be easy on you & your family .
Cheers.

Sahir
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 00:40   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Neel

There is absolutely no problem in this section as of now. The land slide is evident but not any problem at all.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 07:32   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Please PM me with the Time intended to do Belgaum - Goa. I will draft u a route which will be easy on you & your family .
Cheers.

Sahir
Sahir I am still a newbie so I do not think I can PM as of now - I would be doing Belgaum to Goa around christmas eve - look forward to hearing from you
Old 27th April 2012, 17:53   #239

Default Thane-Pune-Kolhapur-North Goa-Chorla-Kolhapur -Pune-Thane

Can any one help with the latest update on the roads , specifically from Kolhapur to Baga, Goa. There have been various suggetions including going upto Belgaum or the other one via Amboli.

I woul like to avoid NH 17 as much as possible . Planning to go in my Cruze on May 2012.

Leaving thane on friday night, stay back in Pune. Leave next day early morining from Pune straight to Goa. On the return planning to go to chorla ghats (Wildernest).

Look forward to inputs / suggestion on the route as well as roads..

krishna
krishnakcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 18:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Thane-Pune-Kolhapur-North Goa-Chorla-Kolhapur -Pune-Thane

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakcs View Post
Can any one help with the latest update on the roads , specifically from Kolhapur to Baga, Goa. There have been various suggetions including going upto Belgaum or the other one via Amboli.

I woul like to avoid NH 17 as much as possible . Planning to go in my Cruze on May 2012.

Leaving thane on friday night, stay back in Pune. Leave next day early morining from Pune straight to Goa. On the return planning to go to chorla ghats (Wildernest).

Look forward to inputs / suggestion on the route as well as roads..

krishna
Roads good all through the route.Pune-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-NH17-Panjim.Budget for a 10hour drive
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote