Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 15:29   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan,USA
Posts: 446
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Pune to Tarkarli

@Spadevil:
I did Pune -- Tarkarli in December 2006.I took the following route:
Pune-Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Kharepatan-Kankauli-Tarkarli.
.
The problem with this route is you will have to travel through Kolhapur city to take the road to Gaganbawda.Take exit on NH4 onto Kolhapur,ask for directions to Railwaystation.It will be on your left.Continue straight until you reach Kolhapur municipality building.You will have to take a right there(Ask directions for Shivaji statue).From here you will have to take a left turn.Dont be astonished that this road is very narrow and runs through some bazaar.This will take you to Gaganbawda.
.
Kolhapur to Gaganbawda stretch was very bad last December.The lanes are very narrow and to make it worse,road reparing was also going on.Dont know what the latest status is.But if you brave all this,the view you get from Gaganbawda is mind blowing.All your pain just vanishes when you see it.From Gaganbawda to Kharepatan,the roads were good.You can easily do good speeds on those winding roads.I didnt come across a single vehicle during my drive on this stretch.A bit scary at times.
.
At Kharepatan you merge onto NH17 and again the roads are very good.You have to turnoff from NH17 at Kankauli.Here too the roads were good.Total distance was around 370kms and took us around 6.5 hours.
.
By the way where are you staying?MTDC at Tarkarli is ok.But food there is very bad.I stayed at Chintamani resort,which is right opposite to MTDC resort.The beach is hardly 100mts from the resort.Roads in Tarkarli are very narrow.If you dont have BSNL mobile connection,forget connecting to outside world.I really liked it.
.
Hope this helps.

-Jeyaraj
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 16:36   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Ideally, you can come north on NH17 (towards Kanakavalli) till Kasal (39 kms from Savantwadi) and take the road to Malvan from there (30 kms). You can also go from Savantwadi to Vengurla (distance around 15 kms?)and take the road from there to Malvan via Phat (53 kms).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 20:42   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan,USA
Posts: 446
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
The problem with this route is you will have to travel through Kolhapur city to take the road to Gaganbawda.Take exit on NH4 onto Kolhapur,ask for directions to Railwaystation.It will be on your left.Continue straight until you reach Kolhapur municipality building.You will have to take a right there(Ask directions for Shivaji statue).From here you will have to take a left turn.Dont be astonished that this road is very narrow and runs through some bazaar.This will take you to Gaganbawda.
.
At Kharepatan you merge onto NH17 and again the roads are very good.You have to turnoff from NH17 at Kankauli.Here too the roads were good.Total distance was around 370kms and took us around 6.5 hours.
.
Hai,I made a couple of mistakes in my earlier post.
The correct one is From Kolhapur municipality building,You have to take a Left turn.Again from the Shivaji statue you will have to take a Right Turn.
.
From NH17 you will have to turnoff at Kasal and not at Kankauli.
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 21:05   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Hai,I made a couple of mistakes in my earlier post.
The correct one is From Kolhapur municipality building,You have to take a Left turn.Again from the Shivaji statue you will have to take a Right Turn.
.
From NH17 you will have to turnoff at Kasal and not at Kankauli.
How about the route via SH 130 ? Looks shorter.. but more important info I need is the condition of this road - Yahoo! India Maps
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 21:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,736
Thanked: 4,312 Times
Default

@Spadival, the link you posted - Yahoo! India Maps - only shows Kolhapur city.

Last edited by condor : 2nd December 2007 at 21:42.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 22:18   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Spadival, the link you posted - Yahoo! India Maps - only shows Kolhapur city.
Yepp.. I was asking about the route (SH 130) going south along the lake.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 10:37   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

For everyones benefit, quote from PM with HVkumar, our inhouse Navigation specialist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ideally, you can come north on NH17 (towards Kanakavalli) till Kasal (39 kms from Savantwadi) and take the road to Malvan from there (30 kms). You can also go from Savantwadi to Vengurla (distance around 15 kms?)and take the road from there to Malvan via Phat (53 kms).
Hi,

Are you suggesting that I take NH17 all the way? I thought going thru NH4 will be much faster and safer

Thanks,
Shailendra.
No, what I meant is if you want to get to Tarkarli after you join NH17 at Savantwadi, you have to retract a little way back from Savantwadi. You can even get from NH4 to NH17 from Kolhapur via Malkapur to Pali, near Hathkamba. That road is also very good.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 10:48   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 981
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
So the best route to GOA still stands at
Satara>Karad>Kolhapur>Nipani>Sankeshwar> [Right turn to Ghadinlaj] >ajra> Savantwadi> [Left turn for Banda] Banda > Pedne [police Station]>Chapodem>Anjuna Beach>Baga.
Anyone got a fresh first hands on this ? or any other route after the rains? Need opinion fast may be leaving in a day or two..]
Yes mate, this is the best route. I did it in 7.5 hrs, starting 6 am Pune MG road to Mapusa for lunch at 1.30 pm. 18 months ago. Now should be even faster, since Khatraj ghat road outside Pune is complete. This with stops for breakfast (three kids) and potty stops on the way.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 12:13   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
@Spadevil:
I did Pune -- Tarkarli in December 2006.I took the following route:
Pune-Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Kharepatan-Kankauli-Tarkarli.
.

-Jeyaraj
Another option from Kolhapur would be to take the route via Radhanagari to Kasal. Been on this road many years ago, should be good. Very scenic too like the Gaganbawda route plus you run through the Radhangari/Dajipur Bison Sanctuary.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 13:29   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Another option from Kolhapur would be to take the route via Radhanagari to Kasal. Been on this road many years ago, should be good. Very scenic too like the Gaganbawda route plus you run through the Radhangari/Dajipur Bison Sanctuary.
Ahh.. this was the one I was talking about when I was referring to State highway 130 in my earlier posts. Think I will take a gamble and go on this route and report back.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 14:28   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Another option from Kolhapur would be to take the route via Radhanagari to Kasal.
Also, Do you have the list of towns/villages that this route goes thru? Does it go via a place called Phonda?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 14:38   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Yes, it does, will have to refer my old log books tonight and give you more details. If I am not mistaken, you also come down the Phonda ghat.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 14:51   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan,USA
Posts: 446
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Also, Do you have the list of towns/villages that this route goes thru? Does it go via a place called Phonda?
Hai,
I have the Kolhapur district road map taken from Maharashtra Road Atlas.
It mentions the following route:
Kolhapur - Pant(Thts the name mentioned in the map)-Avali-Shiroli-Radhanagari-Dajipur-Kasal.
If needed,I can upload a scan copy,but later in the evening.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jeyaraj
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:16   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Hai,
I have the Kolhapur district road map taken from Maharashtra Road Atlas.
It mentions the following route:
Kolhapur - Pant(Thts the name mentioned in the map)-Avali-Shiroli-Radhanagari-Dajipur-Kasal.
If needed,I can upload a scan copy,but later in the evening.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jeyaraj
I think I will go by your route.. Change of plans after I read this blog entry on the road condition via Radhanagari -> An Indian in Germany
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 16:38   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan,USA
Posts: 446
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I think I will go by your route.. Change of plans after I read this blog entry on the road condition via Radhanagari -> An Indian in Germany
Ok.
Kolhapur to Kharepatan is 77kms.It took me close to 2 hours to cover this distance.Hope the road work done on Kolhapur - Gaganbawda sector in Dec2006 was good enuf to withstand this year's monsoon.
.
For fuel,you have BP outlet in Malwan that accepts only petro card.Credit card not accepted anywhere till Goa.
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned. mjothi Travelogues 23 10th January 2011 11:00
Some driving mistakes I make. Help appreciated. cool.aquarian Street Experiences 19 1st February 2010 22:35
I10 - ICE Installed - Opinions and Reviews appreciated see page 24 BHAGWAN In-Car Entertainment 362 12th April 2009 14:04
Pune-Goa-Kerela-Goa-Pune: FordFiesta-3350Kms-10Days abhi1309 Travelogues 36 1st April 2009 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks