BHPian

Default Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
I would like to suggest the following route:

Pune - Kolhapur NH-4

Kolhapur - Radhanagari - Phonda (Maharashtra) - Kankavali - Sawantwadi - Goa
Hi DarkEraser,

Is this route better than Pune -> Nipani -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi -> Goa, most of the threads are unanimous for this route. I am travelling tomorrow, so a quick response is appreciated..

I need to go to Varca, so should that change my route?

Regards,
Meer
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 07:51   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Is this route better than Pune -> Nipani -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi -> Goa, most of the threads are unanimous for this route. I am travelling tomorrow, so a quick response is appreciated..
I need to go to Varca, so should that change my route?
I will be on the same road tomorrow morning. Starting at 3:45 am. If our timings match you'll cross a Red Palio and Red Getz en route.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:58   #78
BHPian

Sorry moralfibre, I started at 6:30 AM and reached south goa at 3 PM.
Will post details of the journey soon...
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 14:15   #79
BHPian

Avoid Chorla ghat unless you've got a 4X4. The road's pretty much missing all year round. It is the shortest route I know between Belgaum and Goa though...
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 17:50   #80
BHPian

i went to goa by car from bombay in june and the road connecting Sawantwadi on NH17 from Nippani on bangalore highway (expressway) was very bad. While returning I used NH17 and it was an amazing drive (ofcourse when you get to Panvel the dream ends). Nice turns and bends on the ghats to keep you busy and enjoy the drive
jasher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 21:25   #81

Default Updates on Pune - Goa road conditions

I recently did Pune – Goa trip via Kolhapur - SankeshwarGandhinglaj- Ajra – Amboli – Sawantwadi – Mapusa route and return journey via Sawantwadi – Amboli – Ajra – Uttur – Nippani – Kolhapur route.

Road Condition
I found route 1 better than route 2 since NH4 – Uttur stretch is very bad. Lots of potholes and repair work is on. But seeing the way the repair work is going on, I feel that route 1 will still be better even after the completion of the repair work. Half of the Uttur - Ajra stretch is not safe as the ghat roads are very narrow. Also route 2 is famous than route 1 so more crowded.

Landmark
Nippani- Uttur route: After you cross Maharashtra border, before Nippani you will reach to the 1st toll booth in K’taka. Exactly after 25.7 kms you will see Kaveri hotel on your RIGHT. After Nippani city “Tawandi Ghat” starts. This hotel is at the end of the ghat. You take the left turn and the Bad road starts.

Sankeshwar- Gandhinglaj route: After you cross Nippani you will see boards for Sankeshwar. After approx 20 kms from Nippani you will see small board for Sankeshwar city. After crossing the 1st flyover take a left before the 2nd flyover. There is a BP petrol pump on your left. Go straight and turn right under the flyover towards Gandhinglaj.

Pune to Mapusa
: Distance is approx 430-440 kms from both the route.

Old 16th March 2009, 10:43   #82
BHPian

Hi, will be doing Bombay - goa on NH4 next week. Any updates on road conditions? Specially Nipani to Goa stretch?
Thanks.
clix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Default Mumbai-pune-nipani-belgaum-mapusa

I normally take the turn at satyapalace/kaveri or at sankeshwar then via gadinglaj/ajra/amboli/sawantwadi.
I was just checking out yahoo maps and figured something new
After Nipani and the toll plaza on to the kaveri/satyapalce turn
Straight(60 km) on NH4 Hwy going toward Sankeshwar Bypass.
Via Sankeshwar at 13 km.
Enter Belgaum at 56 km.
then (there might be an error here as to whether you enter belgaum or take the bypass earlier)
1 Straight(1.7 km) on Belgaum Bypass
2 Take Slight 1st Right, go 0.7 km
3 Slight 1st Right onto SH20 Hwy, go 18 km.
Leave Belgaum at 2.2 km.
4 Continue down SH121 Hwy: 6.2 km.
Enter Maharashtra.
5 Slight Left onto SH131 Hwy, go 5.9 km
6 Right onto SH131 Hwy, go 20 km
7 Left onto SH130 Hwy, go 36 km.
Via Sindhudurg District at 12 km.
Enter Goa at 25 km.
8 Continue down SH31 Hwy: 9.3 km.
Enter Mapusa at 9.3 km.

Has anyone used this route. It seems much shorter cause approx from nipani 60 km to belgaum and then another 100 km approx to mapusa.

I'm driving down on the 24th of March so would appreciate some info on this route. Im attaching a map with directions which shows it all

Nigel
Attached Thumbnails
Pune to Goa - advice on planned route would be appreciated-belgaum-mapusa.jpg  

deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:45   #84
BHPian

Default Bombay to Goa

I am planning a trip from Mumbai to Ponda. Noticed that from Belgaum, there is a NH4a which goes right to Ponda in Goa. Any one has any idea on how good/bad the NH4a is. Also how big a route would that be (if any) compared to the Sawantwadi or NH17 route.

Thanks
f1fan
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:03   #85
BHPian

Default Update on NH4A on 22nd Feb

I have taken the Pune-Belgaum-NH4A-Ponda route to Goa on 22nd Feb and on the return "Most Advised" Savantwadi Amboli route.

It took me 10 hours to reach Goa and 8 hours to return back (Pune-South Goa). Belgaum - Londa- Ponda road is ins excellent condition and very scenic. BUT there is around 10 km of a poor excuse they call road which is not worth even calling dirt track. There are one feet deep craters all over on both the sides of the road continuously. So you end up traveling from one ditch to another. For me I was driving big, long sedan (Sonata Embera) so I had to use all my patience and skill (If I may say so) to keep the car from getting damaged underneath. Overall I did good , only at one ditch there was mild scrape otherwise no event. It took me 1 hour to cross that 10 km patch.

Amboli section is good , but rough at times but atleast level.

Hope this help.

Search the forum for "Bangalore Goa route" where I have posted a pic of the road condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I am planning a trip from Mumbai to Ponda. Noticed that from Belgaum, there is a NH4a which goes right to Ponda in Goa. Any one has any idea on how good/bad the NH4a is. Also how big a route would that be (if any) compared to the Sawantwadi or NH17 route.

Thanks
f1fan
rohitrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:31   #86
BHPian

I have seen that many people are aware that there are 3 routes from Belgaum to Goa. Infact there are 4 routes. let me explain in detail
Belgaum to Panjim
1. via Molem ghat
2. via Chorla ghat
3. via Amboli ghat
4. via Tilari ghat.
I will be back in Belgaum in 2 weeks, So will do a detailed reveiw later.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 18:46   #87
BHPian

I have just done Mapusa(Goa) to Belgaum and back.
Mapusa to Banda on NH 17 is a smooth two lane road (37 km), from there to Sawantwadi (9 km) on NH 17 has more traffic, and twisty roads, but smooth. Thereafter to Amboli some 35 km, it's a gentle twisty climb up to Amboli, not such a smooth surface, but you can easily do 70-90 kph on open stretches. From Amboli to Belgaum, via Chandgad (62 km) - the first 10 km have a lot of broken surface, being repaired, so should be good in a week or so. The rest is back to reasonably good State highway standards.
I was warned against doing Chorla ghat as the surface is reputed to be only meant for a Jeep.
Have done via Molem last year, but I read a post somewhere here, that some part of the road after Molem is being repaired, and is presently extremely pot-holed.

Last edited by filcord : 4th April 2009 at 18:48.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 23:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
I have seen that many people are aware that there are 3 routes from Belgaum to Goa. Infact there are 4 routes. I will be back in Belgaum in 2 weeks, So will do a detailed reveiw later.
Hi Sahir, If youre back can you post some details of the 4 routes you've mentioned.
Regards
Nigel
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 11:40   #89
BHPian

Hey guys, I returned a few days back from my Goa trip...

Left at 5am and reached Panaji at 2pm through the Uttur-Ajjara-Sawantwadi route. That was exactly 430 kms from my home. Returned through Shankeshwar which was 442kms. Shankeshwar roads are much better than the Uttur ones, although its a bit longer but worth it.
pamishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 12:44   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Left at 5am and reached Panaji at 2pm through the Uttur-Ajjara-Sawantwadi route. That was exactly 430 kms from my home.
Did you take a lot of breaks? 9 hours for 430kms. seems slow going.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote