Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 11:32   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 251
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Did you take a lot of breaks? 9 hours for 430kms. seems slow going.
Well, i did take about 1-1.5 hrs breaks in between. And was driving a brand new car which had only run 500kms...hence did not go very fast.
pamishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 10:10   #92
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Smile Pune Goa Route ?

Hello,
I will be travelling next week to Goa from Pune. I am confused which route I should take. I know 3 of those and am not sure about the road conditions and relative distance.
1) Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Vaibhavwadi to NH-17
2) Ajra-Amboli to NH-17
3) Belgaum-KHanapur-Londa-CastleRock-Ponda.

PLease suggest the most suitable as I have never done this route by car. Any other pointers would be most helpful
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 10:46   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,613
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hello,
I will be travelling next week to Goa from Pune. I am confused which route I should take. I know 3 of those and am not sure about the road conditions and relative distance.
1) Kolhapur-Gaganbawda-Vaibhavwadi to NH-17
2) Ajra-Amboli to NH-17
3) Belgaum-KHanapur-Londa-CastleRock-Ponda.

PLease suggest the most suitable as I have never done this route by car. Any other pointers would be most helpful
1.Route 1 is very scenic but you would need to drive through Kolhapur town which could be tiring and there are chances that you would end up being on the wrong road and plus more time.No updates on the latest conditions.

2.Most popular route and the route is in very good condition.Take the turn off from Niapni opp Hotel Satyavati Palace on the Tavandi Ghats.

3.Totally avoidable.Very bad road conditions between Londa & Molem.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 13:58   #94
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
1.Route 1 is very scenic but you would need to drive through Kolhapur town which could be tiring and there are chances that you would end up being on the wrong road and plus more time.No updates on the latest conditions.

2.Most popular route and the route is in very good condition.Take the turn off from Niapni opp Hotel Satyavati Palace on the Tavandi Ghats.

3.Totally avoidable.Very bad road conditions between Londa & Molem.
Thanks a lot for your input. I think this would be very helpful.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 17:04   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

ambivalent98, when you go to Goa can you post the route youve taken and the present condition of it. Thanks in Advance
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 08:50   #96
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
1.Route 1 is very scenic but you would need to drive through Kolhapur town which could be tiring and there are chances that you would end up being on the wrong road and plus more time.No updates on the latest conditions.

2.Most popular route and the route is in very good condition.Take the turn off from Niapni opp Hotel Satyavati Palace on the Tavandi Ghats.

3.Totally avoidable.Very bad road conditions between Londa & Molem.
I will take route 2. Any idea of the approx distances after the turnoff from Nipani and also once NH-17 is reached approx how much distance to Panaji ? Just curious to know since I have to plan my halts as I am travelling with my family esp two kids (6yrs and 1.5 yrs). The first stop would be at Kolhapur McDonalds which I hope is operational .
So just wondering where I could make my second and perhaps a third before I reach Dabolim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
ambivalent98, when you go to Goa can you post the route youve taken and the present condition of it. Thanks in Advance
Herr DeutscheAfrikar,
I am planning on posting a travelogue of sorts with some pictures. Will keep you posted. I will be travelling on the 20th and returning on the 23rd.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 09:56   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Hi Ambivalent_98,
(MapmyIndia-maps,directions and local search across India-just search,print and go! to:mapusa via:sawantwadi**q=search)
copy and paste the above in your web browser to see the route.
After Kognoli toll plaza, I think you need to drive 24 kms and jsut as the tawandi ghat starts your will find the two restaurants. Turn right and gon on to uttur and ajra. I think I will drive down on the 21st.
Enjoy your vacation and safe drive
Gruß
DAK
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 10:59   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,613
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I will take route 2. Any idea of the approx distances after the turnoff from Nipani and also once NH-17 is reached approx how much distance to Panaji ? Just curious to know since I have to plan my halts as I am travelling with my family esp two kids (6yrs and 1.5 yrs). The first stop would be at Kolhapur McDonalds which I hope is operational .
So just wondering where I could make my second and perhaps a third before I reach Dabolim.
From what I had noted down during my previous trips,distances are as follows:
  • K'pur Mcdonalds to Nipani turnoff @ Tavandi 40kms
  • Nipani turnoff to Uttur: 23kms
  • Turn Left @ Uttur to Ajra: 13kms
  • Turn right @ Ajra to Amboli: 35kms
  • Amboli to Sawantwadi : 35kms
  • Turn L @ NH17 jn @ S'wadi to Mapusa: 50kms
  • Mapusa to Panjim Mandovi bridge: 16kms
  • Panjim to Zuari River bridge on NH17 18kms
  • Turn right after bridge to Dabolim Apt: 15kms
Yes,Kolhapur Mcdonalds is operational.It is on your right side when you go from Pune to Nipani.I dont really think there would be another stop needed after K'pur,except at the Amboli waterfalls,Try out the bhajjis at the falls.K'pur to Dabolim would take around 3.5hrs for a distance of 200kms
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 11:19   #99
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I did a Pune-Goa road trip in May. The Belgaon-Khanapur-Phonda route was better: gradual descend, nice drive through the national forest. While returning, we took the Amboli Ghat route. This is very scenic as well. Both roads were in good conditions.

However, my father made the same trip last month and experienced real bad road conditions on the Belgaon-Phonda route. I guess the heavy dumper trucks (from the nearby mines) routinely mess up the road during every monsoon!

Kholapur McDonalds was a great stop. Reminded me of the long U.S. road trips!

Amit
aparanjape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 13:40   #100
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Thanks a ton @ deutschafrikar and Ranjitp1.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:09   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,613
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Thanks a ton @ deutschafrikar and Ranjitp1.
Just a note,Goa is pretty good with their traffic policing,so stick to maintaining lane discipline and no overtaking at sections where its painted the long continuous white marker on the roads.Happy holidays and have a good drive
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 10:30   #102
BHPian
 
ptushar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 306
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just a note,Goa is pretty good with their traffic policing,so stick to maintaining lane discipline and no overtaking at sections where its painted the long continuous white marker on the roads.Happy holidays and have a good drive
Wow! Does everybody in Goa follow these rules so deligiently? That will be really nice.
ptushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 11:51   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,613
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Wow! Does everybody in Goa follow these rules so deligiently? That will be really nice.
From whatever I have seen and observed,yes traffic is very orderly there.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 12:11   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparanjape View Post
I Both roads were in good conditions.

However, my father made the same trip last month and experienced real bad road conditions on the Belgaon-Phonda route. I guess the heavy dumper trucks (from the nearby mines) routinely mess up the road during every monsoon!
Amit
The rains on these areas have to be seen to be believed. The streams turn to rivers and overflow onto the road. Nothing short of concrete would stand up to this battering. April to June is OK I guess. But come monsoons - bad scene.
ptushar - the continuous white lines are painted on curves where overtakeing is highly dangerous. also people here are aware of the (in) famous buses.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 21:13   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From whatever I have seen and observed,yes traffic is very orderly there.
I will second that.
DK
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned. mjothi Travelogues 23 10th January 2011 11:00
Some driving mistakes I make. Help appreciated. cool.aquarian Street Experiences 19 1st February 2010 22:35
I10 - ICE Installed - Opinions and Reviews appreciated see page 24 BHAGWAN In-Car Entertainment 362 12th April 2009 14:04
Pune-Goa-Kerela-Goa-Pune: FordFiesta-3350Kms-10Days abhi1309 Travelogues 36 1st April 2009 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:58.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks