Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th December 2009, 17:29   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparanjape View Post
However, my father made the same trip last month and experienced real bad road conditions on the Belgaon-Phonda route. I guess the heavy dumper trucks (from the nearby mines) routinely mess up the road during every monsoon!

Kholapur McDonalds was a great stop. Reminded me of the long U.S. road trips!
Amit
I agree - We just got back to Pune from Goa via the Ponda-Molem-Londa-Belgaum route. The road is really bad between Molem and Londa, and you will lose a lot of time on this stretch. However for us this road made sense as we had to visit a temple in Ponda on the way. It's probably a good route in the pre-monsoon months though.

We had taken the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi route on the way to Goa, and while the road is bad in patches, I would still prefer it to go to and from Goa.

+1 to Kolhapur McDonalds

Last edited by king_julian : 4th December 2009 at 17:30.
king_julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 02:28   #107
BHPian

Default Final route !

I travel to Goa twice every year for the past 5 years havent missed the chances to get there.
This May09 I was there and took the Pune>karad>nipani>gadhinlog>ajra>amboli>sawantwadi route. The only thing about this route is that after the GQ there is hardly any good road till Amboli, the ghadinlog ajra road is ok but with a lot of bumps and jumps for the safari, it is no good with a todler sleeping in the back seat. So was thinking for the 1st time to do pune>kolhapur>gaganbawda>SH115>NH17>SAWANTWADI>MAP USA>BAGA.

I dread gaganbawda route as about 5 years back while on my way back from Goa I took this route (in the family scorpio) and had a very bad time as roads were being constructed.

Please let me know if you'll have latest on the prospective new route I am looking at.

Cheers!

~juda
JUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:37   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
This May09 I was there and took the Pune>karad>nipani>gadhinlog>ajra>amboli>sawantwadi route. the ghadinlog ajra road is ok but with a lot of bumps
pune>kolhapur>gaganbawda>SH115>NH17>SAWANTWADI>MAP USA>BAGA.

I dread gaganbawda route as about 5 years back ...had a very bad time as roads were being constructed.

Please let me know if you'll have latest on the prospective new route I am looking at.
Juda, From Nipani - Ajra - Amboli one doesn't pass through Gadinglaj. However if you went via Sankeshwar then Gadinglaj is a town one passes through driving on to amboli.

For the Gaganbawda route refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1616405 (Goa route queries.)

However I think one has to take the left ghat for the road COUGAR has refered to. Exit on to the NH17 at Talere.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 8th December 2009 at 09:41.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:55   #109
BHPian

Hi. Did the Sankeshwar-Ajra-Amboli route yesterday with my family in a Getz. Road was pretty decent except for a few patches here and there.
Had a quick question: Is there any way to avoid the Amboli ghat. I know the views are pretty awesome but would prefer to avoid the twisties.. Did I make a wrong turn somewherre or is there no way to avoid this section dhen doin the Kolhapur-Goa journey?
decced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 11:17   #110
Senior - BHPian

decced, Unless you take another route but then you will have to decend down another ghat. Since the coastal area is lower you have to decend down. There are a whole bunch of ghats. From Kolhapur to Sawantwadi there is the Gagan Bwada and Phonda Ghat. Next comes the Amboli Ghat and then as you drive south on the NH4 there are 3 or 4 more to decend to one bad one goes to Mapusa and a couple more to south of Goa.

Don't think you made a wrong turn. Are you in Goa still. If you plan on going back the same way then take the first right after you cross the lake at sawantwadi. Easy to miss so keep a watch. It's not bad this amboli ghat considering that if you came on the NH17 you would have more than half a dozen ghats to deal with
Old 8th December 2009, 22:08   #111
BHPian

@deutscheafrikar, Thanks for the heads up about the turn at Sawantwadi. Will go slow when I get there so that I don't miss it..

I know what you mean about bad ghats.. The route to Belgaum that I had taken on my way back during a previous trip passed through some pathetic stretches.. During that trip I had come in to Goa via the Nipani route (turning off NH4 at Hotel Kaveri).. I recommend the Sankeshwar road over that anyday.. It's just that I was a bit surprised I ended up at the same Amboli ghat stretch .. but as you have pointed out all roads lead to Amboli. :-)
decced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:57   #112
BHPian

Today i had been to belgaum from bangalore in a bus. I spoke to the bus drivers about road condition of belgaum-khanapur-londa-ponda-panaji. they said road is good now and not like how it used to be. Has anyone done this route recently? I need this info for new year vacation as i have to pass through belgaum.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:56   #113
BHPian

Default Goa to Pune

Hi Guys,

Have just returned from Goa via Sawantwadi, Amboli, Belgaum and then on to Pune and finally Bombay.
I felt the road via Belgaum was marginally better than the Sankeshwar, Gadhinglaj, Ajra, Amboli route which I took on the way down.
However, it is about 60 Kms longer so any time you might gain will be negated in the long run.
Mapuca to Pune (start of expressway) took me 7 hours including a stop for lunch of about 45 mins.
Beware of unmarked speedbreakers on the Belgaum - Amboli stretch.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

SS do you have the any adea of the time it took you to cover amboli belgaum, and then belgaum sankeshwar? Rough timings and distance woudl be nice.
regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Have just returned from Goa via Sawantwadi, Amboli, Belgaum and then on to Pune and finally Bombay.
I felt the road via Belgaum was marginally better than the Sankeshwarit is about 60 Kms longer so any time you might gain will be negated in the long run.Beware of unmarked speedbreakers on the Belgaum - Amboli stretch.

Regards,
SS
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
I spoke to the bus drivers about road condition of belgaum-khanapur-londa-ponda-panaji. they said road is good now and not like how it used to be. Has anyone done this route recently? I need this info for new year vacation as i have to pass through belgaum.
Guys, beware! Do not take this route until you are absolutely sure. Just posting something I read on a travellogue poted by
unoczar

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1647035-post2.html

DAY 1: 9 DEC,2009
Soon we reached Belgaum and roads got better.
It was getting dark and I was tired and decided to hand over the wheel to my friend. Unfortunately he took us towards Londa and entered the forest region. The road from there was truly terrible, pathetic (is there a worse word?!). From moon craters to potholes, some road-less roads and everything bad. That road is not even walkable, never ever take that road guys!

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 23rd December 2009 at 22:30.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:19   #116
BHPian

I had to take this route from Belgaum to Vasco airport on the 12th. Dec. I dont advise anybody to take this route untill somebody really confirms that its has been carpeted completely.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 14:30   #117
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on road conditions and the route to take. I will be driving down to Goa in the 3rd week of Jan
Thanks
Old 31st December 2009, 14:53   #118
Senior - BHPian

@deutscheafrikar - I assume that you are starting from Pune. One of my colleagues had been to Goa 3 weeks back. He said that the Sankeshwar - Gandhinglaj - Amboli route is definitely better than the Nippani - Uttur - Ajra - Amboli route. No idea how the Gagan Bavda and Radhanagari (Phonda ghat) routes (via Kolhapur) are.

If you're willing to try a new route and join NH17 much earlier, then Kumbharli ghat is in good condition (that's what I hear). You'll have to exit NH4 at Umbraj (before Karad), and take the road which leads to Patan. The actual Kumbharli ghat starts after that, and will lead you to NH17, near Chiplun.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 15:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Vikram Im actually driving down from Mumbai and was thinking of the Gaganbawda route. I've driven further down and preferred the Gadinglaj route to Nipanii, your friend is right about the road being better there.The Kumbharli ghat is too short a distance for me on the NH4.
Thanks for the info
Old 20th January 2010, 12:15   #120
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to drive down from Mumbai to South Goa on 23 Jan. Planning to start at 0400 hrs. Can I be guided about the best route possible via NH4, i.e. from where shall I cut across for NH 17. I would also appreciate, if somebody can inform about good and economical hotel/ guest house in south goa, where I can stay keep my pet dog along with me.
Sea Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote