Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st May 2010, 11:45   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Pune to Goa - Help needed on route

Guys, i am really bored (pis***) with my job & want a nice change for a week. So i am planning to go to Goa with wife & daughter in the first week of June. Plan is going by own car, Dzire, Off course

I have already gone to Goa but mainly by bus. So i am little confused on what route is the best. I know there are three routes (correct me if i am wrong) :

1 Pune - Kolhapur - Radhanagari ghat - Goa
2 Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Amboli - Goa
3 Pune - Kolhapur -Belgaon - Goa

So which is the best route out of these? Even if it is longer its ok with me provided road is good & ghats are minimal. Please help me understand the route & let me know which is the best one to go in Dzire with family

Thanks in advance !!!
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:16   #122
BHPian

Hi Aniketi,

I have done this trip multiple times and via various routes, so may be I can give you my two cents.

1. The most optimal route I think is Pune-Umbraj (which is about 18 km before Karad on NH4)-Patan-Chiplun-Goa.

This road is a good combination of scenic routes and highways, avoids big ghats (such as Gagan-bavada ghat which you will encounter by another route), and the road conditions are good throughout.

2. If you like to drive through ghats, then you can take Pune-Kolhapur-Gaganbavda ghat - Talere (which is on NH17) - Goa.

Gagan-bavda ghat is pretty scenic and fun to drive, but the road conditions are very unpredictable and this can take a lot of time. Also, driving through Kolhapur is a pain (there is a way to avoid that, but I could never find that road that bypasses Kolhapur).

3. If you want to take a longer route but plan to stay in Amboli, then you can take the route # 2 in your list. I took this once and stayed in Amobli for one night, and it was great! But if you are not planning to stay in Amboli, then I do not see any advantage in this route. It is longer and will take more time.

4. If you want a lot of highway driving and don't mind a little bit less scenic route, then you can take the route # 3 in your list. If you are going to South Goa, then this makes a bit more sense. But if you going to North Goa, then the earlier routes are better.

I can provide you with lot more details, if required.

Anyway, have fun and best of luck! Pune-Goa is always a pleasure and I am sure you will have great time regardless of the route you take.

By the way, I once went to Pune-Mumbai and then drove Mumbai-Goa, just for the heck of it. I wanted to drive the entire stretch on NH17 and hence did this. This is also a great fun option if you purely love driving and don't care about distances and driving times.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:24   #123
BHPian

I think this thread needs to be in the Travel/Routes sub-section.

Anyways there are those 3 routes you mentioned, out of those 1 & 2 definitely have long ghat sections (Radhanagari & Amboli). Not sure about 3, but there probably is ghat involved again as you have to cross the Sahyadris somewhere
There is another route via GaganBawda (just parallel to #1) but it is bumpier and has more traffic than the one through Radhanagari (which I liked, last time I did was in Jan end)

If a single ghat is not a problem (and you plan to drive w/o stopping till Goa) I would suggest taking the Radhanagri route. If you start early from Pune, you can reach Kolhapur quickly, take the Radhanagri turn at end of Rankala (ask anyone in Kolhpur for directions to Rankala - its not that difficult). The route through that ghat is very scenic and road is also in pretty decent conditions. NH17 is always a breeze to drive on.

Of course it may also depend on where you are going in Goa. If its N, Goa then definitely the route 1 is the best option.

People who have experience of #3 can tell you more (but I think it has some bad patches) and its more suitable to reach S. Goa

Last edited by Abhay : 21st May 2010 at 12:26.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:29   #124
BHPian

Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Amboli - Goa
This route is slightly boring but fast. As already explained in detail at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/53019-mumbai-pune-kolhapur-goa.html.

Please refer the thread for all your answers
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Dr. AD, Abhay & Exhaust Note. It is indeed a great information.

I want the fastest route basically as i have small daughter with me. She generally gets panic in car if its a long drive. I am planning to start early morning, like 5 AM. So that i can reach Kolhapur by 8:30. I guess going by Umbraj - Chiplun road will be lengthy one & also tiring as ghats are there. So i guess going by Kolhapur is good option. Till kolhapur road is like a breeze. I can reach quickly there.

Now ahead of kolhapur, which is better? I mean here is road condition mainly, Gagan Bavda or Nipani - Amboli? As i have new car with me, that also with lower ground clearance, i will prefer good roads only. Is it a good season to go to amboli? I can stay there for one night. Is it worth staying there in this season? I heard its good in Monsoon mainly. Also from amboli Goa is hardly 100 kms. So no point in staying there if nothing is there. Please help
Old 21st May 2010, 13:06   #126
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Amba ghat from Kolhapur to Ratnagiri. Not sure where the Radhanagari ghat is. I was very impressed with the Amba ghats! Really terrific roads!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:07   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Thanks a lot Dr. AD, Abhay & Exhaust Note. It is indeed a great information.

I want the fastest route basically as i have small daughter with me. She generally gets panic in car if its a long drive. I am planning to start early morning, like 5 AM. So that i can reach Kolhapur by 8:30. I guess going by Umbraj - Chiplun road will be lengthy one & also tiring as ghats are there. So i guess going by Kolhapur is good option. Till kolhapur road is like a breeze. I can reach quickly there.

Now ahead of kolhapur, which is better? I mean here is road condition mainly, Gagan Bavda or Nipani - Amboli? As i have new car with me, that also with lower ground clearance, i will prefer good roads only. Is it a good season to go to amboli? I can stay there for one night. Is it worth staying there in this season? I heard its good in Monsoon mainly. Also from amboli Goa is hardly 100 kms. So no point in staying there if nothing is there. Please help
If the intention is to reach Goa quickly,I suggest you leave Pune by 4am,as you would be able to cover a lot more ground than if you start at 5.Kolhapur by 7-730,from thereon go onto Sankeshwar,exit NH4 at Sankeshwar and go via Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli.Dont bother staying at Amboli,there isnt really anything there for you to spend a night.Go on straight to Goa via Sawantwadi,a word of caution-do not take any detours saying Panjim as the roads are virtually non-existent on that route.Go down straight till Sawantwadi and take a left on NH17 and go onto Goa.Since its your 1st drive,I'd reccomend the Amboli route as its more straightforward and chances of you getting lost in remote.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:29   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]I want the fastest route basically as i have small daughter with me. She generally gets panic in car if its a long drive.
I will suggest the only one route and that is via amboli.

pune-nh4-kolhapur-nh4-sankeshwar-right turn-gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-goa. @450 km

Ample hotels and other service related facilities are available on this route.

@MX6,

Radhanagari ghat is nothing but phonda ghat, the ghat between kankawali-humbarat-phonda~~~dajipur-radhanagari.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 21st May 2010 at 13:49.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I will suggest the only one route and that is via amboli.

pune-nh4-kolhapur-nh4-sankeshwar-right turn-gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-goa.

Ample hotels and other service related facilities are available on this route.

@MX6,

Radhanagari ghat is nothing but phonda ghat, the ghat between kankawali-humbarat-phonda~~~dajipur-radhanagari.
Great !!! Thanks a lot for the info. This is what i was looking for. I want fastest route, good road, hotels & other services should be available as daughter may need it anytime. I will follow this route only then. Any idea how much kms it will be approx? 450?
Old 21st May 2010, 14:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

Stick to the NH4 all the way to Sankeshwar like ranjitp1 and Ashishpallod have mentioned. Thats the fastest. Turn off any earlier like kolhapur will mean that much more on the NH17 from humarat or talere and it will consume more time and fuel. It's about 600 kms from mumbai to mapusa so minus the mum pune distance and you will have much less than the 450.
You have the Sai international 31 km before kolhaour. A Couple of McDonalds on either side one near pune and one towards kolhapur. Don't go to the Kaveri or Satyapalace. At Amboli you have the Kamath Hotel right on the top.
Enjoy your drive

ranjtp1 hope Laila hasn't come near you. Out here the skies are overcast in the evenings
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 14:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great !!! Thanks a lot for the info. This is what i was looking for. I want fastest route, good road, hotels & other services should be available as daughter may need it anytime. I will follow this route only then. Any idea how much kms it will be approx? 450?
Pune to Amboli approx 350kms

Amboli to Panjim approx 80kms.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:42   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Yes approx 450 KMs. Till Kolhapur, you will only have to slow down at the toll gates since there is a line there. But, if you start early, you would avoid it.

Aniket I remember you saying you wanted a week break from your hectic and frustrating work life/ schedule. Please, PLEASE leave all work/ city related thoughts at the first toll naka and just relax!!!

watch the movie "The Great Indian Butterfly" before leaving if you can
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 15:16   #133
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@MX6,

Dajipur is the place with the wildlife. I remember a travelogue on that. It was good one too.
AP, can you please put up a map showing this Radhanagari ghat?
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Yes approx 450 KMs. Till Kolhapur, you will only have to slow down at the toll gates since there is a line there. But, if you start early, you would avoid it.

watch the movie "The Great Indian Butterfly" before leaving if you can
Yes. Leave Pune by 5 am in the morning. You will reach Kolhapur by 8. If you leave later, then expect delays in the toll booths.

@Exhaust note. What's this movie about? Can you give a synopsis? And as a suggestion, please use the edit button and don't put up back to back posts.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 15:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Dajipur is the place with the wildlife. I remember a travelogue on that. It was good one too.
AP, can you please put up a map showing this Radhanagari ghat?
Thanks for the info.
Yes right on,Dajipur is India's Bison Sanctuary.I think its called something else now?Ashish would know best.

Kankavli, Maharashtra to Radhanagari - Google Maps
Old 21st May 2010, 15:39   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes right on,Dajipur is India's Bison Sanctuary.I think its called something else now?Ashish would know best.
now a days, it is called radhanagari bison sanctuary.[ cougar, is it correct?].

The map shows the road directly from kankawali to phonda.
don't take this route.
actual route is kankawali-nh17-humbarat phata[ in the map, nandgaon]-right turn-phonda village-ghat-onwards----.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote