Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th October 2015, 08:47   #1
BHPian

Default Trip from San Antonio (Texas) to New Jersey

Hi All, due to job change i'm moving from San Antonio, TX to South Brunswick, NJ in November. I'm planning to drive down with family (two kids 8 & 5). I have been researching for this and didn't find any helpful information. I'm planning to drive this in 4 Days. Night Stays : Day 1 - Houston, TX (brothers place), Day 2 - Meridian, MS, Day 3 - Wytheville, VA Day 4 - South Brunswick, NJ. Any previous experience, similar stretch and information would be much appreciated.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 13:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trip from San Antonio (Texas) to New Jersey

It's a bit funny reading this. Here we are researching & undertaking driving holidays in India using online resources and there in the US you have this unusual situation. Hard to digest but then what do we desis know!!

The other way to do this is to take help from the AAA which I presume you have not visited but if you have and still not found useful information then I would be very surprised.

Having driven around in the US in the 90s before the advent of GPS, social media etc I found AAA to be omnipresent and very very supportive to drivers for not just car related matters but stuff such as overnight stays and medical emergencies too.

Doubt if much would have changed now, in fact I expect them to have only improved with time. The last time I visited them in Dallas they were still continuing to handout maps with a lot of detailed information for free even to non members, of course any contributions to their cause is always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I have been researching for this and didn't find any helpful information.

Last edited by khoj : 24th October 2015 at 13:42.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 21:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Trip from San Antonio (Texas) to New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Hi All, due to job change i'm moving from San Antonio, TX to South Brunswick, NJ in November.
Hey mail4loys, the route you've mapped out looks doable with two drivers but with kids along for the ride, stops will be frequent and considering traffic conditions as you drive North, maybe you should take an additional day.

If you're the only driver, then I definitely recommend taking an additional day as traffic will be heavy once you come closer to DC (I'm not aware of how heavy the traffic gets South of DC).

Google maps gives you time & distance but you should definitely add an hour or so to the time especially if you plan on making your trips around rush hour.

This is what I came up with on a quick scan of Google maps. See if that works for you.
  • San Antonio, TX to Houston, TX
    [Overnight halt at brother's place.]
  • Houston, TX to Hattiesburg, MS / Merdian, MS
    [Keep Baton Rouge, LA as a midway point for this stretch for emergency stopover.]
  • Hattiesburg, MS / Merdian, MS to Chattanooga, TN
    [Keep Birmingham, AL as a midway point for this stretch for emergency stopover.]
  • Chattanooga, TN to Wytherville, VA / Roanoke, VA / Charlottesville, VA
  • Wytherville, VA / Roanoke, VA / Charlottesville, VA to South Brunswick, NJ
    [Keep Washington DC / Baltimore, MD as midway points for this stretch for emergency stopover.]
Final stretch should be very easily doable in a day if you halt at Roanoke, VA or Charlottesville, VA the previous day.

When are you planning to do this trip?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th October 2015 at 21:54.
aah78 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 21:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a really long drive & as Aah78 pointed out traffic between DC & NJ depending on the time of the hour could be slow moving.

I have a few questions -

- Do you have prior experience driving such long distances in US?
- Are you using a rental or your own car?
- Would your wife be driving or just you?
- Is this plan includes weekend or just weekdays?
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 03:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Your first leg to Houston is only 4 odd hours so its very inefficient...but since your chilling at your brothers' its all good.

Your real trip is from Houston to NJ which is 22 odd hours. With kids, it makes sense to do it in 3 days in a relaxed fashion

Take breaks, take a little vacation and dont drive late into the night. Sleepy driving is more dangerous than DUI
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote