Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th January 2017, 19:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road-trip queries for Himachal Pradesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalshah View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some help with my itinerary and feasibility. I will be doing a road trip from Delhi to Himachal and back in a self drive rental. Following is my itinerary starting Jan 28.

Day 1: Reach Delhi. Drive To Amritsar
Day 2: Amritsar
Day 3: Amritsar to Dalhousie
Day 4: Dalhousie and around (Khajjar)
day 5: Dalhousie to Dharamsha
Day 6,7: Dharamshala and around
Day 8: Dharamshala to Manali
Day 9, 10, 11: Manali and around
Day 12: Manali to Delhi
Day 13: Delhi Agra
Day 14: Delhi
Day 15: To Mumbai

I am looking for suggestions for each sectors for road. I will be taking either Duster or Ecosport as a self drive rental from Delhi for the trip from Revv mostly. Open to suggestions on car and provider both.

Considering I will be driving during fag end of the winter, I would like some estimations on weather, snow, road blocks etc basis experience. Also what is the difficulty level of drive in Himachal sectors.

As far as my experience, Couple of Mumbai rajasthan long trips under my belt but thats more of a highway drive.

Thanks in advance.
Why dont you turn the itinerary the other way round,it would help with shorter driving distances and times and driving the hills is a time consuming affair.We did a similar trip some years back.Details are at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-hyd-3.html (A Himalayan Sojourn:Hyd-Del-Shimla-Manali-D'sala-Wagah-Amritsar-Agra-Delhi-Hyd)

My suggestion would be:

Delhi-Shimla : 2nights
Shimla-Manali:3Nights
Manali-Dalhousie:2nights
Dalhousie-Dharamshala:1night
Dharamshala-Amritsar:1night
Amritsar-Delhi:1Night
Delhi-Agra:1night

Agra-Delhi and night flight back to Mumbai.

This way at no point do you drive more than 7-8 hours in a day (longest being on first and last days (Del-Shimla and Amritsar-Delhi).
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 18:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Planning a Spiti trip in April/May and had a few questions:

1. April/May a good time to visit Kinnaur/Spiti region? Does it get crowded because of vacations?
2. Self drive vs Car rental - I understand that some stretches are very bad and some are bliss. Would it make sense to rent a duster/scorpio 2WD from Chandigarh and drive all the way to Kibber - Manali & back?
3. Accommodation - Can frequent visitors share average cost per night for accommodation in a home stay/hotel for a family of 2 adults + 1 kid? Also any recommendations on where to stay is more than welcome
4. Food - Will it be hard to find pure veg food? Maggi the only life saver?

Tentative plan:
Day 1: Chandigarh - Rampur
Day 2: Rampur - Chitkul
Day 3: Chitkul
Day 4: Chitkul - Nako
Day 5: Nako - Kibber
Day 6: Kibber
Day 7: Kibber - Manali
Day 8: Manali - Chandigarh

Tempted to include Pin valley into the itinerary but I think that might just stretch things a little too much. I should be able to manage about 10-11 days off from work and hence that might leave me with 9 days to cover Kinnaur/Spiti as 2 days in all probability will be blocked for air travel. If there is a better way to utilize this time and still cover Pin valley, please do suggest.

Also looking for recommendations on trusted car rentals (not self drive) who I can talk to and get a sense of costs.
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 19:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalshah View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some help with my itinerary and feasibility. I will be doing a road trip from Delhi to Himachal and back in a self drive rental. Following is my itinerary starting Jan 28.

Day 1: Reach Delhi. Drive To Amritsar
Day 2: Amritsar
Day 3: Amritsar to Dalhousie
Day 4: Dalhousie and around (Khajjar)
day 5: Dalhousie to Dharamsha
Day 6,7: Dharamshala and around
Day 8: Dharamshala to Manali
Day 9, 10, 11: Manali and around
Day 12: Manali to Delhi
Day 13: Delhi Agra
Day 14: Delhi
Day 15: To Mumbai

Thanks in advance.
Hi. I just returned from a 8 day trip to manali and dharamshala. The climate is fantastic in manali but I would advice you to carry your rain coats. We took the flight from Mumbai to Chandigarh and booked a taxi for the whole trip. The roads from Chandigarh to manali are superb with good spots to click photos. We stayed in manali for 4 days and thoroughly enjoyed the pleasant climate. Since it's an off season you will get hotels at a very cheap rate. I would recommend Make my Trip ( I am not having any personal or financial interest in this App). The roads from Manali to Dharamshala is very narrow and dangerous with cars coming down the hill at dangerous speed so try to cover that route before evening. Khajjar route is closed due to bad weather so please try to check and collect as much information before u set for the trip. Pm me if u have any more queries.
Akib Khan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 08:30   #19
BHPian

Hello Bhpian's,

I need your help again. We(me, spouse and 6 years son) are ready for Delhi-Dharmashala-Manali trip during April mid, 2017. Here is the brief plan

Day-1: Fly from Bangalore to Delhi and stay at friends house for the day

Day-2: Delhi-Chandigargh (Jan Shatabdi train) and take a zoom car(already booked) from Chandigarh railway station and reach Dharmashala by evening. (stay @HPTDC Dhauladhar, Dharmashala)

Day-3: Drive around McLeod Ganj and Kangra valley (stay @HPTDC Dhauladhar, Dharmashala)

Day-4: Checkout and reach Manali by evening (Stay @ Hadimba cottages, Manali)

Day-5: Visit to Rohtang pass and return(Stay @ Hadimba cottages, Manali)

Day-6: Local Site seeing and reach Kullu by evening (Stay @Hotel Shobla International, Kullu)

Day-7: Checkout and reach Chandigarh by 6PM and catch Jan Shatabdi to Delhi

Day-8: Spend time with friends and take evening flight to Bangalore

All the Hotel, Train booking are done. We are looking for inputs on site seeing and food options (specifically for days 3-6). We are primarily looking for a leisure holiday and not to rush.

Thanks in advance for the inputs
hillsnrains is offline   Reply With Quote