Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th October 2008, 19:55   #16
BHPian

Thanks everybody, especially neofromcapone for your replies. I did that Goa trip.

For the journey from Mumbai to Goa, I went took Mumbai-Pune expressway and continued on NH4. We started at 6:15 in the morning and took plenty of halts (breakfast, mid-morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea etc. etc. with no halt lasting less than half an hour). Maintained a steady speed of about 90-100kph. Reached Kolhapur at about 2:15 pm. Left Kolhapur at about 3:15, passed Nipani, had another halt for tea and left NH4 at 4:15 pm. The road, upto this point, was excellent. We took the road passing through Uttur and Ajra, passed through Amboli Ghat and came onto NH17 and reached Sawantwadi. The road through Uttur and Ajra is narrow and full of potholes and that slowed us down. It was 7:15 in the evening when we reached Sawantwadi. I reached Mangeshi, my destination in Goa, which is about 30 km from Panaji, at 9:15pm. The journey took about 15 hours out of which 13 hours was the driving time. The various breaks amounted to 2 hours.

On the return journey, we took NH17 and travelled through Konkan. We had decided to travel in a leisurely manner and planned for an overnight halt. We spent most of the morning in Goa, visiting a village where I had lived in my childhood. We left Goa only in the afternoon. Again, we took many halts. Had lunch at Sawantwadi, tea at Kankavli and halted at Rajapur for the night. We left at 8:15 am the next morning, halted at Lanja, Savarde, Chiplun and Mahad. We left NH17 after Kolad and visited the Ballaleshwar Temple at Pali which is about 9 km off NH17. Left Pali at 7:15 pm and drove straight on to Mumbai and the inevitable traffic jams. Reached home at close to midnight.

Looking back, I feel, I did the right thing in choosing NH4 for the journey to Goa, but I should have taken another route to reach Sawantwadi, which could have reduced the driving time. The road through Konkan (NH17) has a lot of potholes over large stretches and slows you down.

But overall a nice trip.
rrs1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 20:12   #17
BHPian

Hi ,

I have gone to Goa from Mumbai via the Pune (expressway ) - Kolhapur - Niappani - Amboli - Goa. This route i found to be quite better than usual Mum-Goa route which no doubt is scenic but too winding and ghats ...

this route is straight and a 4 lane highway with good roads ( have mentioned this in a earlier response ) . If you are going by that route you can stay overnight at Kolhapur , We stayed at oriental crown which is just some minutes from highway , was a good hotel and good spread of complimentary breakfast . If you leave early you can reach kolhapur and take your seniors to the Mahalakshmi Temple for darshan .

I would recommend this route as traffic is better , wide roads , less strain on driving . Less of Ghats It is ofcourse more kms than usual route but my personal opinion worth the while and toll paid .

Regards.. Kat
kARTIK IYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 20:14   #18
BHPian

Oops .. Missed your post on the journey done .. Hope this will be read by others when requiredcheers:
kARTIK IYER is offline   Reply With Quote