Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th March 2012, 10:46   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend Getaways from Hyderabad

Am planning for a weekend trip to Ananthagiri Hills & Kotepalli. Would the summer fry us [few colleagues with kids(5-10 yrs)] ?
DieselDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 11:46   #167
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Was just reading this very old thread treasured with knowledge of destinations here. I am planning a trip for 3days, Leaving hyd on 29th April morning and return by 1st May night. Can anyone suggest a nice place which is around 600KMS max one way and also keeping in mind the sun god blessing heavily with his heat.

Places shortlisted by me as of now are
1) Matheran
2) Mahabaleshwar
3) Panchgani

all this is going to be a all guys trip, location should have a decent lodging facility is the only main requirement.

Pls suggest which is the best option from above or any other location from your experience, Places already covered are Nagarjuna sagar, Srisailam, SuryaLanka beach (Not by me but other friends), Vizag and Tadoba. So any new destination is what we are planning.

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 20th March 2012 at 11:47.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 12:57   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Am planning for a weekend trip to Ananthagiri Hills & Kotepalli. Would the summer fry us [few colleagues with kids(5-10 yrs)] ?
Yes, carry good amount of water and wear caps when you are out of the car. September to January may be the right time for this trip, especially with the severe summers that we are experiencing in/around Hyd off-late.
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 08:25   #169
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend Getaways from Hyderabad - Update Hyd - Srisailam - Mahanandi - Ahobilam

Update on Hyd - Srisailam - Mahanandi - Ahobilam conditions:

Hyderabad - Srisailam : Started at 7am - reached at around 11.30. No stoppages. Road Condition is awesome. Few new hotels have come on the way. Near Dindi roads are narrow. Drove... sedately maintain 60 - 70 kmph.

Srisailam - Dornala: Full Ghat road with lots of bends and speed breakers. Road condition is very good. Started at around 3 pm and reached around 3.55 PM. No facilities. Two different stories about vehicles restrictions were told: 1: Taxi drivers at Srisailam told no restrictions. 2: Checkpost i checked with the constable, he mentioned no vehicles are allowed after 9 pm. could not confirm it.

Doranala - Atmakkur: took about 1 hour 30 mins. The first 20 kms of the road being very bad due to mining trucks who transfer Gravel stones for constructions. Road is also very narrow. if any heavy vehicles come in the opposite directions, you will have to get out of the road. Few tea stalls here and there other than that no facilities at all. I took this stretch little slow as i was not sure whether i was driving in the right directions so had to stop and check every now and then.

Atmakkur - Nandyal: Checked with tea shop owner about the route options to nandyal and he asked me to take the left to Velugondu and then to Nandyal. The road is very small and the condition of the road was decent till YSR Memorial. This place is in the middle of nowhere but till this memorial and a little longer may be a km or so absolutely no facilitities. The road opens up after the memorial and then its a smooth stretch till nandyal. Velugondu on the way has good facilities. Had another chai break to confirm whether I was on the right track. Continued on the road till nandyal. Took about 1 hour with 15 mins break for tea and short stoppage near YSR memorial.

Nandyal - Mahanandi: Took left without entering Nandyal town towards mahanandi. 15 kms took about 30 mins. Heavy share auto traffic. Mahanandi has APTDC hotel and no good place to eat. Road condition was awesome with occasional speed breaker. No petrol pumps in Mahanandi.

Mahanadi - Ahobilam: Took Gajulapalli - gidalur road as suggested by local taxi driver. Till gajulapalli the road is small but condition was good. It joins Nandyal - Ongole NH and I took the right towards Nandyal. This effectively bypassed me entering nandyal town. Road is superb. From nandyal joined the Nandyal - cuddapah highway. As mentioned earlier 4 laning is in full swing. most of the stretch atleast one side of 4 lane is complete. just look out for diversions and merging of completed stretches with the old one very uneven and big bumps. Just before allagadda look out for a Indian oil petrolpump on the right side, took the next left turn towards Ahobilam. There is a very small board which tells Ahobilam. From here till lower Ahobilam the road was small but excellent surface with heavy Share autos traffic. Petrol pump was there on the way not sure about the exact place. The drive took me about 2 hours. i was not sure about the roads and had to check twice wheher i was on the right direction. Started at 8 am and reached Lower ahobilam at 10 am. Then went from here to Upper ahobilam the last point where the vehicles had to be stopped and I then went inside the forrest for a 4.5 hour trek to visit 5 narasimha swamy temples.

Ahobilam - Adlagadda - Nandyal : started around 6 pm after finishing all darshan and excelent south indian meal at brahmin annasatra in upper ahobilam. Had to go inside allagudda town as i had to fill petrol. there were HDFC bank atm and SBI ATM. The town had decent facilities but got stopped by cops twice as there is a local byelction going to happen.I Had to open all the luggages to them to prove that i am not transfering money. Allagadda joined the main Cuddapah - nandyal highway. 4 laning is on full swing, look out for clearly marked diversions. reached nandyal around 7 pm stopped for a quick chai and then started towards kurnool. Nandyal town is very big with lots of pertrol pumps, nice lodges, atms.

Nandyal - Kurnool: started at 7.20 pm. 4 laning in full swing. got stuck in a heavy thunderstorm on the way. pulled to the left as nothing was visible. then followed a construction truck which was moving slowly as I didnot want to get stuck. it was pouring like anything till i reached kurnool. clearly marked diversions with 50 % stretch has atleast 1 side 4 laning complete. reached kurnool at 8.30 PM. went inside the city to join the bangalore - hyderabad highway. kurnool is a big town with all facilities. Stopped at BP Ghar dhaba outside kurnool for dinner and slammed the home run towards hyderabad. Reached home at Nizampet at 11.30 PM after starting from BP ghar at 9.15 PM.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 19:26   #170
BHPian

Guys, is this the right time to pay a visit to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. Planning for this weekend.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 21:30   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys, is this the right time to pay a visit to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. Planning for this weekend.
You could go,there would be water in the dam,am not sure what else satisfies the criterion of right time to go to NS Dam.People go round the year to NS.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 08:18   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could go,there would be water in the dam,am not sure what else satisfies the criterion of right time to go to NS Dam.People go round the year to NS.
Thanks. I asked, since few pages back people were quoting the dam is dry.
Is there some other places we can visit enroute NS dam or the dam itself will consume whole day ?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 10:34   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thanks. I asked, since few pages back people were quoting the dam is dry.
Is there some other places we can visit enroute NS dam or the dam itself will consume whole day ?
I guess they are very old updates since the last update on this thread happened some time in May.AFAIK there is no other place enroute.The drive to NS and back itself would take a good 5-6hrs(approx 2-3hrs one way).As far as food is concerned there is only a APTDC restaurant at NS,which is decent.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 31st October 2012 at 10:36.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:16   #174
BHPian

hi Guys,

Any information on the various wildlife sanctuaries listed on the AP tourism site near HYD - MHV National Park, Manjira Bird Sanctuary, Nagarjunsagar Srisailam Wildlife Sanctuary.

Wanted to know if they are worth going to? what kind of animals/birds can one expect to see there? Can i expect to see any big mammals of the cat family in MHV National Park?

Are there Safaris - how to book it? What are the timings, expenses?

Pls share as much info as possible.

Also - can i do -

Charminar, Salarjung - in 1 day
Golkonda fort and Qutub Shahi Tombs - in 1 day

Pls provide feedback
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:31   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Also - can i do -
Charminar, Salarjung - in 1 day
Golkonda fort and Qutub Shahi Tombs - in 1 day
Charminar and Salarjung Museum is 0.5kms from each other. Infact, you can enjoy a nice walk from SM to Charminar.

It is easily possible to do both in one day.

Keep atleast 5 hours for Salarjung as I feel even a full day is not enough ( if your interested in history) to cover the entire museum of this world famous 1-man collection.

Again Golkonda Fort and Qutub Shahi Tombs are next to each other.

First go to QST and then visit the Fort late evening. Try to reach there by 4pm so you can spend 2 hours in seeing the fort and then followed by an amazing light and sound show ( voiced by Amitabh Bachan) in evening.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:37   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Charminar and Salarjung Museum is 0.5kms from each other. Infact, you can enjoy a nice walk from SM to Charminar.

It is easily possible to do both in one day.

Keep atleast 5 hours for Salarjung as I feel even a full day is not enough ( if your interested in history) to cover the entire museum of this world famous 1-man collection.

Again Golkonda Fort and Qutub Shahi Tombs are next to each other.

First go to QST and then visit the Fort late evening. Try to reach there by 4pm so you can spend 2 hours in seeing the fort and then followed by an amazing light and sound show ( voiced by Amitabh Bachan) in evening.
Thanks Mobike008. Came to know that the wildlife situation is pathetic in AP, so not planning to do any "sanctuaries" now. Only the heritage sites.
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 15:06   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mobike008. Came to know that the wildlife situation is pathetic in AP, so not planning to do any "sanctuaries" now. Only the heritage sites.
Also if you are planning on taking your own car to Charminar & Salarjung,then I reccomend that you leave your car at the Museum paid parking and either walk or rick it out to Charminar and back.Parking at Charminar is next to impossible.

Carry mosquito coils with you for the Light and Sound show,else the mosquitoes would make a meal out of you!.Starts from 6pm and goes on till 9.English,Hindi and Telugu.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 15:26   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Only the heritage sites.
Since you are going to be in and around charminar ,dont forget to visit the 'chowmallah palace' .Definately worth it
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:08   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Since you are going to be in and around charminar ,dont forget to visit the 'chowmallah palace' .Definately worth it
Absolutely agreed that Chowmohallah Palace is totally worth it. Visitors are now also allowed at Purani Haveli which is also a good place to visit and nearby.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 11:10   #180
BHPian

An email I got from a friend who recently relocated to Hyderabad and visited "Nagarjuna Sagar Dam" first time yesterday :

So the maiden trip to NSD was undertaken today.

Plus points :

1. Drive was good, was able to hit 90 -110 in the two lane part after ORR (part after RGIA is good for 140 - 160 kmph though I stuck to 100 as per speed limit boards)

2. Went straight to Haritha for early lunch, expecting crowds : to confirm, grub was good, especially fried fish (even wife had it, normally she wouldn't eat fish in a non Bong joint)

3. No crowds

4. Great view from Haritha

Flip side :

1. Launch to island was closed due to Bandh

2. No gate of the Dam was open to see the water discharge

3. Expected to see tonnes of water and misty spray at Ethipothala Falls (or 1% of Niagara)

Recommendation :

I think its a good idea to spend a weekend with halt for a night at Haritha for chilling out.

Cheers!
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote