Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th June 2011, 18:22   #196
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Thank you again!
From the that thread looks like Tirupur-Palladam is shorter.
What is the best route after Palladam? Since I'll be going to Kochi, is it better to take Pollachi-Trichur (do not know how the road conditions are) so that I can byepass Palakkad aswell?

Rgds
VW
Recommend you to take Palladam->Pollachi->Vadakkanchery->trichur route. Roads are excellent from vadakkanchery to pollachi now. newly tarred.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 18:38   #197
BHPian

Thank you.That helps in finalising the route. I will take Perundurai-Kangetam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancheri-Trichur-Kochi. Assuming I leave at 6:00am from Electronic city, could you suggest a place for breakfast and lunch?

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I still remember @luvuride's post on one ways and narrow roads in Tirrupur. Its possible that you may get stuck in Tirrupur easily owing to this. Hence the best is to get into Perundurai town and then on to Kangeyam road. This section followed by NH67 till Palladam is fantastic. This would also by-pass Tiruppur. Passing through Palladam and Kengayam is a breeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Recommend you to take Palladam->Pollachi->Vadakkanchery->trichur route. Roads are excellent from vadakkanchery to pollachi now. newly tarred.
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 12:40   #198
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what time do you want to do the breakfast.If it an early breakfast(around 7-730),then there are a couple of options at Shoolagiri (Kamat / A2B / Sri Krishna Bhavan)

If its a late breakfast around 9-10,then you could stop at Thoppur,A2B (You would have to take a U turn),expensive breakfast at GRT Estancia Salem.

If you prefer to have a brunch,then you could stop at Perundurai (Aaryas or Annalakshmi)
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 14:13   #199
Team-BHP Support

I would say start early 5Am and drive all the way till Salem.
Take a lavish BF at GRT ! Jokes apart, why I mentioned the same is that you would have driven at least 200km before you take a good break.

A2B before Krishnagiri arrives too soon and Thoppur A2B is on the other side of the road (I agree its not a reason, not to go there!). But you would have driven a good distance you take a good break.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 15:52   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say start early 5Am and drive all the way till Salem.
Take a lavish BF at GRT ! Jokes apart, why I mentioned the same is that you would have driven at least 200km before you take a good break.

A2B before Krishnagiri arrives too soon and Thoppur A2B is on the other side of the road (I agree its not a reason, not to go there!). But you would have driven a good distance you take a good break.
I totally agree with Ampere. Levae early to have a pleasnt drive and you also have nice views of green fields in Krishnagiri area when sun is rising. Also it will help you cover one third of distance very quickly. (Sent from my blackberry)
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 00:02   #201
BHPian

I am planning to do Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trichur trip on 2nd July to attend a wedding and return on the Monday (4th) (mainly to avoid night driving)...

As I read through the forum seems like the other route vai the ghats will be beautiful and shorter but will reserv that for another day. Especially as the Santro is due for a new set of tyres, I dont want to be driving the ghats, rather prefer the flat roads...

Now this route Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trichur. I know up to Salem its great, how is it from Salem to Tirchur any thing to watch out for?
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 08:20   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trichur trip on 2nd July to attend a wedding and return on the Monday (4th) (mainly to avoid night driving)...

As I read through the forum seems like the other route vai the ghats will be beautiful and shorter but will reserv that for another day. Especially as the Santro is due for a new set of tyres, I dont want to be driving the ghats, rather prefer the flat roads...

Now this route Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trichur. I know up to Salem its great, how is it from Salem to Tirchur any thing to watch out for?
My dad just drove to Blore two days back. The stretch between Palghat and Thrissur is a bit bad. Thanks to the recent rains, there are few potholes.

Watch out for the private bus drivers along this route. They overtake blindly at curves and even when there is an oncoming vehicle too. They expect others to give way. So watch out.

Since your tires are ready for the change make sure you be careful since it's raining badly here and the roads are pretty slippery, especially the highways. I would suggest you to change the tires, especially for a long drive.

Cheers
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 16:32   #203
BHPian

Thanks @naveen.raju that info is very helpful, I will make sure I change the tyres before the trip.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:20   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Depends on what time do you want to do the breakfast.If it an early breakfast(around 7-730),then there are a couple of options at Shoolagiri (Kamat / A2B / Sri Krishna Bhavan)

If its a late breakfast around 9-10,then you could stop at Thoppur,A2B (You would have to take a U turn),expensive breakfast at GRT Estancia Salem.

If you prefer to have a brunch,then you could stop at Perundurai (Aaryas or Annalakshmi)
Suggest some good eating places beyond Perundurai till Thrissur in this route? I know Diana and Aryaas in Vadakkencherry as you join back NH-47.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:39   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Suggest some good eating places beyond Perundurai till Thrissur in this route? I know Diana and Aryaas in Vadakkencherry as you join back NH-47.
I havent driven on the Pollachi route to Vadakkencherry so cant comment on that,on NH47 after Perundurai,there is Rajabhojanam on NH47 onto your right just before the L&T BP begins,then there is a Saravan Bhavan on the L&T BP onto your left at the first signal intersection on the BP,after that there is a Rajabhojanam onto your left on NH47 as soon as you rejoin NH47.Both the Rajabhojanams are attached to Reliance pumps,then there is Aaryas at Chandra Nagar at the point where you take a left to Thrissur,after that there is Aaryas at Vadakkencherry as you rightly mentioned in addition to Diana,then there is a Indian Coffee House at Pattikad & Mannuthy.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:48   #206
BHPian

Quote:
I havent driven on the Pollachi route to Vadakkencherry so cant comment on that,on NH47 after Perundurai,there is Rajabhojanam on NH47 onto your right just before the L&T BP begins,then there is a Saravan Bhavan on the L&T BP onto your left at the first signal intersection on the BP,after that there is a Rajabhojanam onto your left on NH47 as soon as you rejoin NH47.Both the Rajabhojanams are attached to Reliance pumps,then there is Aaryas at Chandra Nagar at the point where you take a left to Thrissur,after that there is Aaryas at Vadakkencherry as you rightly mentioned in addition to Diana,then there is a Indian Coffee House at Pattikad & Mannuthy.
If it is NH-47, I will stop only at Walayar motels since my kids love to play around in their lawns with lots of ducks and kittens, and at times a couple of turkeys. And for the elders in the family, the lunch buffet is something that everyone enjoys very much. Apart from the above 2 points, they provide room (if vacant) for resting, that too free of charge, upto a couple of hours as well that was very useful when the kids were too young and the elders want to stretch their legs.

Anyway, thanks for ICH tips (Pattikad & Mannuthy) but just let me know if they are easy to locate since I never stopped at these places. And also let me know if we can park cars easily in front of them. Obviously, for family folks, please let me know if they have clean toilets too.
Old 20th June 2011, 19:26   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for ICH tips (Pattikad & Mannuthy) but just let me know if they are easy to locate since I never stopped at these places. And also let me know if we can park cars easily in front of them. Obviously, for family folks, please let me know if they have clean toilets too.
Easy to locate,pattikad one comes to your right,you cant miss it,mannuthy one comes to your left after the agriculture university gate and is located in the veterinary college campus onto your left,i havent used the washrooms,so cant comment.On a general note,washrooms all over kerala leaves a lot to be desired,not sure why when the state by and large is very clean but washrooms at even the biggest of restaurants is iffy(from my many years of drives through kerala the one big sorepoint is this)
Old 20th June 2011, 19:34   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Easy to locate,pattikad one comes to your right,you cant miss it,mannuthy one comes to your left after the agriculture university gate and is located in the veterinary college campus onto your left,i havent used the washrooms,so cant comment.On a general note,washrooms all over kerala leaves a lot to be desired,not sure why when the state by and large is very clean but washrooms at even the biggest of restaurants is iffy(from my many years of drives through kerala the one big sorepoint is this)
Thanks.

Generally agree with you on washrooms. Hence, stick to places known to us from prior experience mostly. In both, my regular routes in NH-47 (Palakkad-Thrissur section) and NH-17 (Ernakulam-Calicut section), I stop at (ex ?)KTDC ones, viz. Walayar Motels and Kuttippuram one (forgot the name) just before Bharathapuzha bridge from South(Ernakulam) side.
Old 20th June 2011, 19:38   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kuttippuram one (forgot the name) just before Bharathapuzha bridge from South(Ernakulam) side.
Yes Motel Aaram next to the Kuttipuram bridge
Old 1st July 2011, 12:21   #210
BHPian

I did get the tyres replaced, but will reserve the ghats for some other time as it will be tiring and need to get back to work on Monday.

All set for the trip tomorrow, here is the route I will be taking and back:

Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur

I am planning to leave BLR by 6AM on Saturday and leave Thrissue on Sunday 1PM so that I do most of my journey in day light.

The iffy thing about restroom - is true not only for Kerla, its true all over. I have found few Petrol Bunks (HP ones if I recollect it right) have decent ones. But yes, thanks for the locations, that surely will helps...