Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 21:50   #256
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Naveen - @Ranjitp1's post #243 has the alternate route which is a good option (if you want to go via Palakkad for food or take a break)

I also remember seeing another route being disucssed which is via Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur, probably in this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-165.html

Hope this helps.


With both these routes you can avoid NH47 between Palakkad and Trichur.
But i think travelling through Alathur- Padur-Pazhayanur seems to be adding too many kms to reach Trissur.Moreover how do you reach trissur in this way. Do you need to go through Lakkadi kootu pada.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 22:19   #257
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But i think travelling through Alathur- Padur-Pazhayanur seems to be adding too many kms to reach Trissur.Moreover how do you reach trissur in this way. Do you need to go through Lakkadi kootu pada.
Where to where is to be considered? Route depends on that. Turning off at Alathur will add kms but avoid the worst stretch of NH-47 beyond V*Cherry.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 12:40   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Am really confused now. Should I take the risk and take this route or try some alternate routes. Since my car is running on low profile tires it will be really uncomfortable. This will definitely irritate my wifey.
Dont bother taking the NH47 from Thrissur all the way till Avinashi,just not worth it especially the stretch between Mannuthy and Palakkad.

Divert from Kuttanelloor after the toll gate on NH47 at thrissur,keep left below the flyover and take the left turn and go straight till Jubilee Mission Medical College at which point the road take a natural right and go on the road to Wadakkanchery-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar-NH47.

If you want to go direct to Pollachi and then via Palladam-Kangeyam to join NH47 at Perundurai,then take the same route but instead of turning left for Shoranur at Vazhacode Junction,keep straight and go via Chelakkara-Pazhyannur-Alathur-Koduvayur-Pollachi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But i think travelling through Alathur- Padur-Pazhayanur seems to be adding too many kms to reach Trissur.Moreover how do you reach trissur in this way. Do you need to go through Lakkadi kootu pada.
No you dont go to Lakkidi Kootupadha,that comes on the Palakkad-Shoranur route.This way you go through Alathur-Pazhyannur-Chelakkara-Vazhacode-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 21:16   #259
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Dont bother taking the NH47 from Thrissur all the way till Avinashi,just not worth it especially the stretch between Mannuthy and Palakkad.

Divert from Kuttanelloor after the toll gate on NH47 at thrissur,keep left below the flyover and take the left turn and go straight till Jubilee Mission Medical College at which point the road take a natural right and go on the road to Wadakkanchery-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar-NH47.

If you want to go direct to Pollachi and then via Palladam-Kangeyam to join NH47 at Perundurai,then take the same route but instead of turning left for Shoranur at Vazhacode Junction,keep straight and go via Chelakkara-Pazhyannur-Alathur-Koduvayur-Pollachi.


No you dont go to Lakkidi Kootupadha,that comes on the Palakkad-Shoranur route.This way you go through Alathur-Pazhyannur-Chelakkara-Vazhacode-Wadakkanchery-Thrissur.
But again you will have to travel through Vadakancherry-Pattikkad which is of very bad streches.. Is there two VADAKANCHERRY.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 10:42   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But again you will have to travel through Vadakancherry-Pattikkad which is of very bad streches.. Is there two VADAKANCHERRY.
One is pronounced Vadakkencherry.This one is on the NH47 between Mannuthy & Palakkad and falls under the Palakkad district

The other is Wadakancheri which is on the Shoranur-Thrissur road and falls under Thrissur district.They are two different places.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 13:21   #261
BHPian
 
dreamdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

I am off to Kochi this weekend. Was planning to take the regular Bangalore - Salem - Avanashi - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Kochi route. But looking at the updates here I see that the stretch between Palakkad - Thrissur is bad.

Updated route I guess should be Bangalore - Salem - Avanashi - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ottapalam - Shoranur - Wadakkanchery - Thrissur - Kochi.

How many kms is this going to add?
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 14:06   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
I am off to Kochi this weekend. Was planning to take the regular Bangalore - Salem - Avanashi - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur - Kochi route. But looking at the updates here I see that the stretch between Palakkad - Thrissur is bad.

Updated route I guess should be Bangalore - Salem - Avanashi - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ottapalam - Shoranur - Wadakkanchery - Thrissur - Kochi.

How many kms is this going to add?
It add around 15kms of extra driving,which is compensated by good roads and better timing.Please follow the map to bypass thrissur town while coming from wadakanchery and get onto the NH47 directly.

Palakkad, Kerala to Chalakudi, Kerala - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 21:47   #263
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
One is pronounced Vadakkencherry.This one is on the NH47 between Mannuthy & Palakkad and falls under the Palakkad district

The other is Wadakancheri which is on the Shoranur-Thrissur road and falls under Thrissur district.They are two different places.

Yes know i get it. V cherry falls before Pattikad and W cherry falls after Ottapalam- Manisery right.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 21:56   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Yes know i get it. V cherry falls before Pattikad and W cherry falls after Ottapalam- Manisery right.
Yes thats correct.W.cherry comes after shoranur and like Ajith correctly pointed out in an earlier post,w.cherry has a railway station while v.cheri does not have one.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:04   #265
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes thats correct.W.cherry comes after shoranur and like Ajith correctly pointed out in an earlier post,w.cherry has a railway station while v.cheri does not have one.
More details in post#29 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...t-route-2.html
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 08:36   #266
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 447 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There is no bypass as such to get onto Ottapalam road,but it is relatively easy as you just continue straight on the NH47 at Chandranagar(where Aaryas is located).The NH47 takes a left there towards Thrissur,whereas to go to Ottapalam,you continue straight into Palakkad,and the road is called as GB Road from thereon(Gandhi Bazaar Road).Just keep on the road and it continues straight onto Ottapalam,past the KSRTC bus stand.However do agree the town is congested to drive through.

If you do need to bypass palakkad town,then the option is to get onto the Kozhikode road immediately after you leave NH47(you would not miss it as it is a big divided 4 lane road to your right,after the popular IndianOil petrol pump).Take that road,it crosses Olavakkod (Palakkad) railway station and continues till Mundur where the road forks.Take the left road which is the Perinthalmana road while the right fork is the Kozhikode highway.

Go on the left road till Mundur High School which would be on your right.The straight road goes to Mangalamkunnu-Cherplasserry-Perinthalmana where it merges back with the Palakkad-Kozhikode highway.

At the Mundur High School junction you divert to the left(well marked)and the road joins the Palakkad-Ottapalam road at Parli(past Parli Railway station)(7kms).This way you bypass the entire palakkad town and plus join the highway around 7-8kms after palakkad town.

This is a traffic free route and helps you get on to the ottapalam road without going through the palakkad town mess.Palakkad town is highly congested and the market areas are less said the better.

Hotel srichackra internationol to Parali, Palakkad Ponnani Rd, Kerala - Google Maps

I will be driving to Vaikom tomorrow. While going, I plan to take the NH 47.
If the road condition is unmanageable, I plan to take the following route on return. I derived this from the maps that you had given. Will I be able to save time in the route? I will be reaching Chalakkuy by 7:30 AM.

Chalakudi, Kerala, India to Hotel srichackra internationol - Google Maps
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 09:29   #267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Pramodpk, If your journey between thrissur and palakkad falls at night, avoid nh47. As coolclouds put it, it could damage your car.

Quote:
Naveen, the road is BAD at some stretches BUT:

OK for day drive provided you need to be extra vigilant for hardly6-7 kms all together and most other potholes can be avoided on day light. You may keep some 10 mins extra for this stretch.

I never tried other routes suggested in this thread as I always try to do Avinashi - Trichur stretch during off peak hours through the much familiar NH47. Also being on NH47, the chances for overtaking is much better.

I will never suggest anyone to do this stretch DURING NIGHT which will be tiring and can damage your car.
__________________

Last edited by princemanatt : 12th August 2011 at 09:34.
princemanatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 09:47   #268
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 447 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
Pramodpk, If your journey between thrissur and palakkad falls at night, avoid nh47. As coolclouds put it, it could damage your car.

__________________
My travel will be during the day. I will be reaching Palakkad by 11:00 AM. Will the NH47 be a better option at this time?
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 10:07   #269
BHPian
 
Skyline GT-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 594
Thanked: 199 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

During day the time taken will be less on NH47 although it is bad for your car.

Ottapalam route has many small towns which will make you slow down & 1 railway gate which is closed always (WDCY). Getting out of the WDCY gate at peak hour can take upto 30-40 mins when its bad.

I have tried both routes during day & night.
For me:
NH47 during daytime weekdays.
Via OTP during nights/Sundays/holidays.

or you might even consider Tiruppur - Pollachi - Vadakkenchery (NH47) to avoid Avinashi deviations & some part of NH47.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 12th August 2011 at 10:12. Reason: Addl Info
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 10:12   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,673
Thanked: 2,911 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Did Cochin-Blore drive through NH47 yesterday.

Roads are fine except Thrissur - Vadakanchery and Kuthiran section. After Thrissur, some 25 kms are really bad. AVOID NIGHT DRIVES. The fastest I managed in this section was 20kmph. Then comes Kuthiran which is also bad. After that it's good but watch out for some huge potholes.

Since it's raining the roads are really slippery.

Avinashi - Salem 4 laning work in progress but the roads are pretty good.

Started at 4.30am and reached Blore at 1pm.

Total toll amount - 333/-
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi arjuunz Indian Motorsport 16 4th August 2014 03:43
Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi jas_mirage Route / Travel Queries 10 27th September 2011 00:03
Five Days - Kochi - Kalpeta - Kodaikanal - Valparai - Kochi NutsNBolts Travelogues 28 6th June 2010 16:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks