Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th December 2016, 12:48   #511
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

1. Good, Budget hotel to stay in kochi preferably in the heart of the city
Keys Hotel Kochi is a good option so is the Beaumonde Fern and Olive Downtown apart from the host of other budget hotels in the city.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 14:54   #512
BHPian

Hi guys is there any alternative route to bangalore from kochi which doesn't go via thrissur which is under tatters right now and real back breaker
WheelWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 15:08   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi guys is there any alternative route to bangalore from kochi which doesn't go via thrissur which is under tatters right now and real back breaker
If avoiding the road works at Kuthiran is your intention, then you can go Palakkad-Ottapalam-Kulapulli-Wadakkancheri-Thrissur and re-join NH 47 at Ollur.

I often take Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur-Angamali route which works out to be about 100 km shorter (though road widening works on NH 67 is a bit of a hassle on this route now).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:55   #514
BHPian

Found this small hotel with very neat restrooms at Walayar which is open during the night. I stopped here around 11 pm for tea and found they have excellent rest rooms that can come handy during the night drive for a break. Location is at the small turn just before the Kerala commercial tax check post on the left hand side while coming from Kochi (didn't note the name).
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 19:01   #515
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a flight to catch at 6am from Kochi international airport. I will be travelling from Bangalore ecity.

I have 2 options to reach Kochi:

a. KeSRTC bus departing at 13.00 hours and reaching at 23.30 at Ernakulum.

b. KSRTC bus departing at 16.40 hours and reaching Ernakulum at 02.00 hrs next day.

I am more inclined towards option b. in which case I can be in office for whole day.

Can any regular travellers tell me if I can make it comfortably with option b. along with transport time from ern bus stop to airport?

Also any personal experience with the bus on both routes as per punctuality will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Adhiraj
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 19:46   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
b. KSRTC bus departing at 16.40 hours and reaching Ernakulum at 02.00 hrs next day.
9 hours to Kochi might be OK given the way how these buses are driven (is it a Volvo service?). You don't have to go all the way to Kochi; you can get down at Aluva and take an auto or taxi to the airport. In fact I think there is an auto/taxi stand at the junction of the airport road with NH 47; from there it is hardly 10 minutes and it is still 1 hour short of Kochi.

If you can splurge there are 2 flights to Kochi after 9 PM.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 22:19   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
9 hours to Kochi might be OK given the way how these buses are driven (is it a Volvo service?). You don't have to go all the way to Kochi; you can get down at Aluva and take an auto or taxi to the airport. In fact I think there is an auto/taxi stand at the junction of the airport road with NH 47; from there it is hardly 10 minutes and it is still 1 hour short of Kochi.

If you can splurge there are 2 flights to Kochi after 9 PM.
Yes it is a Volvo airavat from KSRTC.

Does KSRTC go through Aluva? The route is saying blr->cbe->Palakkad-> Thrissur->Ern. Then it will head towards aleppey.
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 22:26   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does KSRTC go through Aluva? The route is saying blr->cbe->Palakkad-> Thrissur->Ern. Then it will head towards aleppey.
That's right. Thrissur-Chalakudy-Angamaly-Aluva-Kalamassery-Kochi is the direct route.

Btw, to Kochi airport you can even get down at Angamaly and take a rick. It is closer and quicker. The NH goes quite close to the railway station so you shouldn't have any problem at all.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 13:11   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is a Volvo airavat from KSRTC.

Closest to Airport is Athani. You can get down at Athani and get an Auto. Check with the driver whether they will stop at Athani. KeSRTC does stop at Athani. But since the time is 2 in the night, Angamaly is the better and safer option, since there is an Auto stand just outside the bus stand.

Just for info (not relevant for @adhiraj's query) - Long distances buses do not enter Aluva town, they stop at Aluva bypass.
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 18:22   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I often take Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur-Angamali route which works out to be about 100 km shorter (though road widening works on NH 67 is a bit of a hassle on this route now).
How is your experience in this route? I was thinking of alternative routes for some time. After Krishnagiri or so till coimbatore, the 47/544 is so boring.

Any 4/6-lane stretches or just 2-lane? I am not so keen on 2-lane roads without median. Also, how is the traffic?

I ususally do only day trips, so guess there will not be any restrictions on the forest section. But there could be a lot of traffic, especially within Kerala.

Last edited by vjjustin : 26th May 2017 at 18:27.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 19:19   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Any 4/6-lane stretches or just 2-lane? I am not so keen on 2-lane roads without median. Also, how is the traffic?
(Talking of Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur-Angamali)

Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Kalale is 4-lane, dual carriageway (MRR has 6 lanes). So is Thrissur-Angamali. Rest is all single carriageway.

Traffic is bad in Vazhikkadavu-Nilambur-Vadapuram and Shoranur-Thrissur (incl. crossing Thrissur town). Rest is all manageable.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 02:59   #522
Senior - BHPian

Requesting update on route condition. Is there anything to watch-out for in the regular route?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 07:40   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Requesting update on route condition. Is there anything to watch-out for in the regular route?
The roads are in very good condition, except around Kuthiran where there are a few potholes. Otherwise, the four-laning work between Thrissur and Vadakkencherry has a lot of deviations and uneven surface, so need to be careful if you are covering this area in night or early morning.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 12:41   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The roads are in very good condition, except around Kuthiran where there are a few potholes. Otherwise, the four-laning work between Thrissur and Vadakkencherry has a lot of deviations and uneven surface, so need to be careful if you are covering this area in night or early morning.
I remember a total traffic jam on the Kuthiran stretch last October due to the tunnel work and road broadening. Thats already 8 months gone. What is the progress on this area right now ? There were news reports on some tunnels opened or about to open beginning of this year !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 13:44   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
What is the progress on this area right now ? There were news reports on some tunnels opened or about to open beginning of this year !
The tunnels are done, but the approach and to make it motorable will take a while. Also a new toll booth is coming up in the area. Both will get opened at the same

A "few more months" according to a news in Mathrubhumi last month. Related post here (All Roads to Kerala).

IMO the approach bridge as seen will take more time to finish.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote