Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th January 2007, 08:43   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
And also you wouldn't find tyreshops/workshops on this route, the frequency is less.
I carry a foot pump and a tubeless tyre repair kit and a spare tube always . Just in case....( though I have not repaired puncutre on tubless myself so far. - But I have seen the technique in a workshop).
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 18:24   #47
BHPian

I wouldnt suggest this route for a night drive.

I have travelled twice in this road, once in two wheeler and once in car.
In bike, I travelled in the night,way back in 1996 and in the car almost 6 months back and it was daytime.

I was in the forest around 8 PM in my TVS Suzuki (read old one), with one of my friend and 15 KM right inside the jungle, bike got punctured. There was no help available around and very very less traffic also. We waited for almost 15-20 minutes for any oncoming traffic and atlast we got a truck which was going from Nilambore towards Mysore.They almost shouted at us for riding at night in this route and told that its always dangerous.They said, even trucks also prefer to go in convoy during that time. They helped us to lift the bike into their truck and took us to gudallur checkpost. There I took another lorry to carry the punctured tyre to the puncture shop which was again some 10 km away, while my friend waited for me at the checkpost..after fixing the puncture,I took another truck to come back to the checkpost and fit it..We spent that night in a small tea shop nearby and resumed next day morning.

When I travelled few months back in the same route, I did notice that roads are much much better and there are few more shops intemittantly till you enter the forest area. But from there, its the same old story.On the way, you can see many notice boards put up by the forest department with warning of crossing animals, asking motorists not to stop/park etc. Having seen elephants in the Gundalpet-SultanBattery-Calicut route a few times, I can vouch that you may stumble upon these anytime and always its not going to be safe.

Its good that you are travelling in a car and you got back-up plans for any puncture etc.But still I would suggest you to avoid this route in the night for obvious reasons.

However its a different take altogether if you want to have a feel of an adventurous trip. I would suggest to have a company for your car and if its with family, definitely its a must.

Drive slow in the forest section and you can expect a narrow, ill-lighted road, with occassional unexpected bumps and potholes.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 09:01   #48
BHPian

Thank you all for the inputs. Made up my mind. Not crossing Bandipur at night.

Then I thought an alternate route, Mysore -sasthamangalam-satyamangam-covai route?. Some one told me this road is also stranded at night.

Ok ok.. Change of plan . go via salem mettur route. Return via nilambur-bandipur-mysore route [ ofcourse day time].

thanks a lot again.
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:12   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Chanapli the route is hosur-dharmapuri-thoppur-mettur-bhavani-avinashi-kovai

If you take the deviation (take right from the base of the ghat section, while coming down the ghats) after the thoppur ghat and go via mettur you'll completely bypass salem.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 02:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
We setout from Trivandrum via Nagarcoil-Madurai-Salem-Bangalore. It was a very dry drive. We started from TVM at 8.00 AM and reached BLR by 10.00 PM with stops for breakfast, lunch and tea with one stop for refuelling.
Unless you had some business in Nagercoil, I think going to Tenmala from Trivandrum then to Sengottai in TN through the Aryankavu pass I think would save at least 1 hour if not more. There is some beautiful scenary from Tenmala to Aryankavu and tourist look outs as well. There is a KTDC place along the way near Palaruvi that was good the last time I stopped there for tea, although I haven't been to the falls myself. Driving through the town of Nagercoil/ Tirunelveli will set back the drive by atleast 20-40 minutes.

From Sengottai, NH 208 to Thirumangalam (about 2h-2h30m driving at a good clip) is generally not crowded and the roads were good outside of towns and cities some three years ago. From Thirumangalam instead of going to Madurai, take the road to Sakkanurani to Pallapatti where you will hit NH7 to Bangalore.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 13:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Unless you had some business in Nagercoil, I think going to Tenmala from Trivandrum then to Sengottai in TN through the Aryankavu pass I think would save at least 1 hour if not more. There is some beautiful scenary from Tenmala to Aryankavu and tourist look outs as well. There is a KTDC place along the way near Palaruvi that was good the last time I stopped there for tea, although I haven't been to the falls myself. Driving through the town of Nagercoil/ Tirunelveli will set back the drive by atleast 20-40 minutes.

From Sengottai, NH 208 to Thirumangalam (about 2h-2h30m driving at a good clip) is generally not crowded and the roads were good outside of towns and cities some three years ago. From Thirumangalam instead of going to Madurai, take the road to Sakkanurani to Pallapatti where you will hit NH7 to Bangalore.
Yes i have travelled once via this route from tvm to banglore. The route is fast and roads once we crossover to TN is beautiful and well surfaced all the way to salem. From to get on to the shenkottah road you take the neyyardam route and then go beside the the palode botanical garden and then towards aryankavu, there's a motel araam bang opposite the deviation to palaruvi.

There are couple of good metergauge railway bridges enroute which are completely made out of granite and there's a dam as well, the route is quite scenic till you reach TN, then it's all plains and valleys.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 11:06   #52
kph
BHPian

I wanted to ride daytime, but last minute changes... decided to do it at night to beat the sun and the heat.
A long Solo Nonstop Night ride...
The ride was from Bangalore to Thodupuzha on Bullet.

Apart from the 'loneliness issue' of a solo ride, a smooth ride

Ride log

Last edited by kph : 8th March 2007 at 11:08.
kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 11:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Thank you all for the inputs. Made up my mind. Not crossing Bandipur at night.

Then I thought an alternate route, Mysore -sasthamangalam-satyamangam-covai route?. Some one told me this road is also stranded at night.

Ok ok.. Change of plan . go via salem mettur route. Return via nilambur-bandipur-mysore route [ ofcourse day time].

thanks a lot again.
I did a bike ride long ago from Bangalore to Trivandrum overnight via Kollegala, Dimbam and Sathyamangalam. There were no restrictions at that time.

I have also done a lot of night driving on bike through Bandipur and Mudumalai en route Ooty (crossed Masinagudi at 2 am) - now, this road is closed from 8 pm to 6 am and if you want to be let through (most unliklet in a bike), you may have to please the check post watchmen.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 11:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post

Please keep in mind that the route from Trivandrum-Nedumangad-Palode-Tenmala can be congested in some stretches during day time - plus narrow winding roads. However, you can have pleasant detours to Ponmudi (after Nedumangad) and an unique eco-tourism centre at Tenmala (plus a boating reservoir). Once you cross into TN, expect dry hot conditions - in case you fancy temples, you can drop in at Sankarancoil (after Schencottah/Tenkasi) and Srivilliputtur (further beyond).

However, but for the Trivandrum-Nagercoil stretch (which can be slow during day time), I still think the NH47/7 stretch is faster - I have done madurai-Trivandrum in 4-4.5 hours late in the evening, since after Panagudi the road is straight and fast with all towns being bypassed.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 13:33   #55
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Return via nilambur-bandipur-mysore route [ ofcourse day time].

thanks a lot again.
Chanapli, Did you do this route?
If so can you please give the route in detail. I'm planing to take a different rounte for the return ride to Bangalore.
kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 15:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
Chanapli, Did you do this route?
If so can you please give the route in detail. I'm planing to take a different rounte for the return ride to Bangalore.
Hi,
I have done this enough times, if you are going by bike alone chances are you would not be allowed to cross the Mudumalai forest, I was once stopped at the Thorapalli checkpost. Having said that, if you are going by car there is nothing to worry about except for a flat tyre. At one time I was going to Bandipur every alternate weekend and have never had problem on this road, have deliberately gone up and down from Gudalur upto Bandipur Reception centre during nights. If you see a single elephant (especially Tusker) stay away from it. If you see a Mother with a small calf run away from there (Elephants are extremley possesive about their calves). If you see a herd then wait until you get a bigger vehicle passing by your side, tag along with it. One Final word, Elephants seldom do a full blown charge, they do a mock charge as a show of strength, if so then its time for them to be left alone.

Last year I had gone to Cochin in my Wagon R taking the following route

Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Trichur - Cochin. If my memory serves correct the total distance was 440 kms. While returning I took the same route except for the first stretch which was Ernakulam - Kodungallur - Kunnamkulam - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Nilambur, this route was a further 15 kms shorter.

As I said nothing wrong with this route, except you may not be able to top your speed as in the route via Salem - Coimbatore.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 11:09   #57
BHPian

Hi guys... Need to drive this stretch down this tuesday... Need updates
Anybody did this recently??

And BBye bangalore...
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:57   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Hi guys... Need to drive this stretch down this tuesday... Need updates
Anybody did this recently??

And BBye bangalore...
AH! watch for car size pot hole! Do drive during day time . Drove to Shertalla and back last day bad road!

OT!

those at bangy catch Jomz before he leaves bangy. He is going to US for higher studies, funded by Ashok Leyland
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

Lucky b*m jomz, company funded trip for studies and above all to the land of oppurtunities ? Good luck mate and Bon Voyage.

Come back with a Ford Mustang please.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:12   #60
BHPian

hi
just today returned from kerala.i go from mysore every month from past 5 years.
the best road is mysore-gudalur-nilambur road (not to enter nilambur town)-perinthalmanna-trissur-alwaye-cochin.exactly 400kms. add 140 to bangalore. road from mysore to gudalur is just OK.gudalur to Kl border is BAD( 30km). Kl border to nilambur is the best in india for amazing butter smooth ghat with fully painted surface.from nilambur to thrissur is single lane with city buses stopping at will.and rom thrissur to cochin is WORSE to say least.
i tried this time thrissur to palaghat and coimbatore- WORSE for humans. do not even try this now.roads do not exisit there. horrible.
nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote