Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th November 2010, 12:25   #106
BHPian

I drove from Vaikom to Bangalore on November 7th. Here are the details.

Vaikom - Bangalore

Started at 8:22 AM and reached Bangalore ( Brookefields, Kundalahalli) by 9:15 PM.

Total Distance - 582 KMS

Road Condition

Bad strectes around Kalamassery
Diversions in Angamaly - Trissur

Thrissur - Palakkad - Except 5 KMs around Kuthiran, other stretches are OK. There are some good sections also. So I don't think it makes sense to take the Shornur - Ottappalam route during non peak hours. Patch work was also going on. Kuthiran is also not as bad as it was in 2007 September.

We lost lot of time in the toll booths. Around 15 mins after salem,
20 mins in Thoppur (this was the worst), 15 mins in Krishnagiri,
10 mins in Attibele. We were at Thoppur by 5:30 PM. The Salem - Bangalore stretch which usually take 2:45 hours took 4:45 hours. Took the electronic city flyover and I completed that stretch in around 5 mins.

I do not know the condition of Mettur - Mechari - Pennagaram - Palacode - Rayakottai - Hosur route. But if the road condition is manageable, I think it makes sense to take this after long weekends as it is shorter by around 40 KMs than the Salem route and you can avoid 3 toll booths.

Trip Sheet

Place Time Distance
Home (Udayanapuram, Vaikom) 8:22 AM 0.0 KM
Break 4 mins 0.0 KM
Tripunithura 8:56 AM 20.7 KM
Kalamasseri 9:20 AM 36.7 KM
Aluva 9:26 AM 42.8 KM
Angamaly 9:42 AM 56.0 KM
Thrissur By Pass 10:26 AM 96.1 KM
Break 25 mins
Palakkad ByPass 12:23 PM 160.0 160.0 KM
Walayar 12:45 PM 181.0 181.0 KM
Coimbatore ByPass start 1:00 PM 193.7 KM
Coimbatore ByPass End 1:23 PM 222.0 KM
Break 50 mins
Avinashi 2:50 PM 247.2 KM
4 Lane Road starts 3:09 PM 263.0 KM
Break 15 mins 0.0 KM
Salem (Join NH7) 4:31 PM 367.0 KM
Thoppur Toll 5:30 PM 417.0 KM
Home (Brookefields) 9:15 PM 582.0 KM
Attached Images

Last edited by pramodpk : 9th November 2010 at 12:28.
pramodpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:19   #107
BHPian

Yes, the Selam-Blr stretch will be a mad rush after long holidays or even on Sunday evenings. Mettur -Hosur route will be much better. I enjoyed a peaceful Kochi-Selam-Blr drive on Saturday.

Last edited by bejoy : 9th November 2010 at 17:20.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:59   #108

Default re: Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries

Hi all, I need help on the best posible way to reach Kochi from Bangalore. I intend to start at 7am. I will be driving a Santro. Regards.
askmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 22:46   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmaddy View Post
Hi all, I need help on the best posible way to reach Kochi from Bangalore. I intend to start at 7am. I will be driving a Santro. Regards.
Blr-Salem : NH7
Salem-CBE-Palakkad 47
Palakakd-Trichur (Detour for Palakkad-Trichur stretch from NH47 via Shornur)
And then from Trichur its 47 till Cochin.

I would say 7 is too late a state. Plan at most by 5AM.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 23:09   #110
BHPian

I do Bangalore - Kottayam (Pala) drive every 2-3 months.

My usual route is Bangalore - Salem - Avanashi - Coimbatore L&T Bypass - Palakkad - Trichur - Angamaly - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Erattupetta.

I usually start by 5.30am - Reach Avanashi by around 9.00am - Reach Trichur by around 12.00pm - Reach Erattupetta by around 4.00pm

Total 650 Kms

I would be driving again day after tomorrow (12th of Jan 2011). Would be updating the road conditions soon after that.

Cheers!
Asif
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 08:19   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Salem-CBE-Palakkad 47

Thanks
But why do you suggest (Detour for Palakkad-Trichur stretch from NH47 via Shornur). Is there any reason??
askmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 08:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hello Team,

I would be travelling to Cochin from Bangalore. The route I intend to take would be Salem, Coimbatore, Trichur, Cochin.

I may be starting at about 3AM.

Please advice me if this timing is appropriate, what are the precautions to be taken, what to worry about and some nice things on the way.

I usually fill from Shell and can see there's no shell fuel station once you leave Bangalore so would it be okay if I carried some fuel in a jerry can and keep it in the boot? My vehicle is an Innova.

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 10:20   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Salem-CBE-Palakkad 47

Palakkad Thrissur NH47 is pretty good now. No need to take a deviation via shornur.
pramodpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 10:24   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Please advice me if this timing is appropriate, what are the precautions to be taken, what to worry about and some nice things on the way.
Timings are appropriate. Earlier the start the better. But ensure that you get enough sleep and are fresh.

Beware of the humps near Thoppur ghats on NH7, before Salem. There are 8 of them, clearly marked. Still I see accidents happening there. Sometimes drivers don't realise quickly that the vehicle in front is braking and they end up crashing on to the one in front.

I guess the below topics are somewhat as we are discussing route here. Please search on threads on night driving, highway driving (Highway driving etiquette and rules) and long distance driving (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive).

Due to the misty condition nowadays, there would be stretches on NH7 where for short durations visibility would be very low. This happens where the road dips into a low while there are trees or hills surrounding. Mist/clouds gets trapped here. I experienced this during my drive in December and at high speed, visibility is affected.

Again, during my last drive, near Dharmapuri, at 430am, an autorickshaw on the wrong lane collided head-on with a Jetta on the fast lane. Auto was on the wrong side and was completely destroyed while Jetta had a bent bonnet. I try to keep on the left lane for this reason as I get more reaction time to take evasive action.

Enjoy the ride.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 15:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Did the Palakkad-Thrissur stretch,and I would take the Palakkad-Ottapalam-Thrissur route any day.The stretch from Vadakkencherry till Pattikad is pathetic,while the Ottapalam route must easily be the best maintained road in Kerala today,wide road,smooth top and speeds of 80-100 easily maintained.I tried both the routes and the time taken is the same(approx 2-2.5 hrs via NH47)while 2hrs via shornur.The only downside is that NH47 takes a toll on your vehicle and your back!
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 16:43   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Timings are appropriate. Earlier the start the better. But ensure that you get enough sleep and are fresh.

Beware of the humps near Thoppur ghats on NH7, before Salem. There are 8 of them, clearly marked. Still I see accidents happening there. Sometimes drivers don't realise quickly that the vehicle in front is braking and they end up crashing on to the one in front.

I guess the below topics are somewhat as we are discussing route here. Please search on threads on night driving, highway driving (Highway driving etiquette and rules) and long distance driving (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive).

Due to the misty condition nowadays, there would be stretches on NH7 where for short durations visibility would be very low. This happens where the road dips into a low while there are trees or hills surrounding. Mist/clouds gets trapped here. I experienced this during my drive in December and at high speed, visibility is affected.

Again, during my last drive, near Dharmapuri, at 430am, an autorickshaw on the wrong lane collided head-on with a Jetta on the fast lane. Auto was on the wrong side and was completely destroyed while Jetta had a bent bonnet. I try to keep on the left lane for this reason as I get more reaction time to take evasive action.

Enjoy the ride.
+ 1 to what you have said above. I drove on NH-7 from BLR to Madurai on 27th Dec early morning and upto Krishnagiri had to encounter dense fog /mist and visibility was very bad. Had to drive in speeds of only 50-60 kmph for this part of my journey.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 13:55   #117
BHPian

Hi All, I'm planning to do a Cochin-Bangalore trip this weekend.

Which is the best route with scenic beauty and good places to see? Length of the trip is not a concern, but the condition of roads should be good.

Thanks in advance.
- Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:18   #118
Senior - BHPian

The best road condition should be via Coimbatore-Salem (NH47/NH7) but its not scenic.
Roads via Calicut & Perinthalmanna should be scenic but was not in good condition.

You may even think of Coimbatore-Ooty-Mysore-Bangalore

Lets wait for others to respond on recent updates.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:08   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi All, I'm planning to do a Cochin-Bangalore trip this weekend.

Which is the best route with scenic beauty and good places to see? Length of the trip is not a concern, but the condition of roads should be good.

Thanks in advance.
- Jose.
The shortest and the best road would be: Cochin-Trichur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Avanashi-Salem-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore

Distance would be 550 (Approx)
Time taken would be 7-8 hours

Have a great trip & drive safe!
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 17:49   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
The best road condition should be via Coimbatore-Salem (NH47/NH7) but its not scenic.
Roads via Calicut & Perinthalmanna should be scenic but was not in good condition.

You may even think of Coimbatore-Ooty-Mysore-Bangalore

Lets wait for others to respond on recent updates.
Bangalore->Mysore->Nilambur->Manjeri->Kottakkal->Edappal->Chavakkad->Kodungallur->Cochin would be with best road condition and also scenic. From Nilambur, you take an alternative route via Manjeri to avoid the bad roads around Perinthalmanna. Details of this route is available in Travalogue section posted a few weeks back if you try a search.

Another option is Bangalore->ChamarajaNagar->Sathyamangalam->Coimbatore->Palakkad->Trichur->Cochin which also should be ok.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote