Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th May 2017, 13:21   #1
BHPian

Default Ranchi to Pune route

Hey Travel Experts.

My brother's wedding will be happening in a month's time and I will be going to Ranchi to drive down my dad's 2014 Tata Aria to Pune, starting on the 17th of June.

I wanted to enquire about the route conditions and stops along the way. Adding a screenshot of the route as per Google Maps.

Name:  ranchi  sambalpur.PNG
Views: 301
Size:  210.5 KB

The basic route looks like Ranchi -> Sambalpur -> Raipur -> Nagpur -> Akola -> Aurangabad -> Ahmednagar -> Pune

The route from Ranchi to Sambalpur, as per Gmaps is NH23 till Simdega, then SH10, and after that some local unmarked roads (Sambalpur-Kolabira road, passing through Bamra) till Sambalpur. This leg is roughly 320 km.

An alternative to this route is Ranchi to Gumla (via NH43) from where SH24/SH10 till Sambalpur. This route is a bit longer as well (345 km) and prone to slower moving traffic starting before Jharsuguda (bad roads?). Adding a screenshot below -

Ranchi to Pune route-ranchipune.png

Q1 - Has anyone travelled this leg before (Ranchi - Sambalpur)? If you have, then your thoughts on the two routes that I've mentioned above will be helpful.

Q2 - Also, how are the roads for the journey from Akola - Pune, via Aurangabad?

Q3 - Coming to the breaks, initially I was thinking of taking a night's rest at Raipur (600 km from Ranchi) and then continuing the journey till Pune on the second day. Now, I'm leaning towards Nagpur for the night's rest (875 km from Ranchi), if time and energy permits. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2017 at 13:51. Reason: Inserting images in-line the correct way....
maker_of_things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 14:40   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Ranchi to Pune route

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Hey Travel Experts.

Q2 - Also, how are the roads for the journey from Akola - Pune, via Aurangabad?
I can help you with this stretch. The roads are mostly above average to very good. Once you enter Maharashtra, be on the watch out for speed-breakers and bikes coming on the wrong side around villages. You might encounter relatively high truck traffic on this road, especially around Aurangabad and near Pune. I would suggest you cover this stretch when there is day light as trucks/SUVs driving on the opposite lane with high beams make it difficult to drive at night. You will also find a couple of good highway restaurants with clean washrooms after Ahmednagar.

Since you will be travelling via Aurangabad, it will be great if you can find time to visit the historic Ellora caves (if not Ajanta also).
feluda86 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:33   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Ranchi to Pune route

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
I can help you with this stretch.
Thanks for the tips feluda86 .

Quote:
Since you will be travelling via Aurangabad, it will be great if you can find time to visit the historic Ellora caves (if not Ajanta also).
If time permits, I will definitely try to visit them.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote