Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st December 2006, 09:13   #1
BHPian

Default International Driving Permit In Maharashtra

Hey!!!...Does anyone know what the procedure is for obtaining an IDP.
I have lincense issued by the Mumbai Wadala RTO and a Pune issued passport. My passport has a valid visa too. Is the IDP country specific or is it a generic document? Anyone with any info please post.

Thanks,
porsche_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 12:07   #2
BHPian

In Bangalore RTO it's pretty simple. All you need to do is fill out an application form and pay a small fee. I dont think you need any visa / passport etc. As far as I know, there is no country-specific IDP. Do make sure that the country you plan to visit recognises this IDP though (some countries dont).
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 12:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pay 500 bucks at the Mumbai RTO, show your Passport and Visa. Get the Licence. I got mine this way!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 13:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you are a life member of the auomobile association, they will issue the IDP directly
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 13:47   #5
BHPian

Hi,

It is always a problem if you have a license from one city and a passport from another city. Become a member of the Western India Automobile Association (Western India Automobile Association - WIAA Welcomes You) and they can do it for you. BTW, you get other benefits also by being a member of WIIA.

Pradeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_fan View Post
Hey!!!...Does anyone know what the procedure is for obtaining an IDP.
I have lincense issued by the Mumbai Wadala RTO and a Pune issued passport. My passport has a valid visa too. Is the IDP country specific or is it a generic document? Anyone with any info please post.

Thanks,
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 14:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My previous experiences in getting an IDP were that I needed to have my tickets too before getting an IDP. The IDP itself is issued the same day, so the process itself is quick, and not much of a problem.

Also helps to wait as much as possible because it is valid for only one year. So getting it just before you go helps - you will have a usable IDP for a longer time.

But then again, once you go to the destination country, you will need to get a local licence - esp when you are staying for a longer time.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 14:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My previous experiences in getting an IDP were that I needed to have my tickets too before getting an IDP. The IDP itself is issued the same day, so the process itself is quick, and not much of a problem.

Also helps to wait as much as possible because it is valid for only one year. So getting it just before you go helps - you will have a usable IDP for a longer time.

You're right Condor the latest regulations state that you have to present them with a Confirmed Ticket, Visa & Passport. Had one issued for my brother last year. The maximum duration is 1 year so yes it's best to get it made as close to the date of travel as possible.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 22:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

The IDP is valid only for one year. I found taking an IDP totally useless, obviously you can drive on it, but on my inquiry, the California DMV recognises your original country license but not IDP
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 23:10   #9
Team-BHP Support

Refer to the following two threads for information:
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote